What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
11570 up north. That's disgraceful. The game at the bush last week got 8k in a 13k capacity.

All you people who sook for taking more games to the bush, why would we want more to go there when these regions can't even sell out their small ovals? These places get 1 game a year and don't bother to show up.

I'm really over this 19th century romanticism of the bush. If people wanted to live in these places they'd be big enough to called cities and they wouldn't be the bush anymore.

There is no reason at all for anything more important than trial games in the bush.

ESPECIALLY when the NRL wants 20k averages.

Brutus

Referee
It's at the scg so it's a special occasion for that reason to start. Should be pushed in the cbd by marketing this week. Aim to get the city workers in especially manly fans who may otherwise head over the bridge after work. Definitely the game of the round quality wise so it deserves standalone marketing

Instead the media will concentrate of club boards and tallis v whoever and carney plus shapelle.

Canard

Immortal
Looks pretty packed in Cairns, only the ends had spare seats.

Considering the lack of drawing power both these clubs have up north, that's a good effort.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
11570 up north. That's disgraceful. The game at the bush last week got 8k in a 13k capacity.

All you people who sook for taking more games to the bush, why would we want more to go there when these regions can't even sell out their small ovals? These places get 1 game a year and don't bother to show up.

I'm really over this 19th century romanticism of the bush. If people wanted to live in these places they'd be big enough to called cities and they wouldn't be the bush anymore.

There is no reason at all for anything more important than trial games in the bush.

By god you're a plank. They take these games to the 'bush' (Cairns is a growing city and regional centre) not just for crowds on game day but to spread the game and engage in the community. If it was played at the hellhole which is historic homebush only about 9000 of your mob would have shown up.

:lol::lol:
That's a "Mensa IQ " post .

& tell me spastic how many games have you gone to this yr..
You were always making excuses for not going.

DC_fan

Coach

Not often I agree with you BM but I have to on this occasion.

El Diablo

Post Whore

have you even been to one game?

The fact cowboys vs titans outdrew the following: a top of table manly, two top 4 west sydneys teams and roosters/dragons show where the crowd problems is at.

Swarzey

Bench
Taking games to the bush are far from an issue. Honestly, if you expect incredible crowds then you're nothing short of delusional. These games still pull crowds bigger than some; few but still some, regular home games. It's hard for these places to sell out because while rugby league is still quite entrenched, its growth can only be so much and unfortunately, without a team to follow, it's popularity isn't going to be at the level people like you, Bunniesman, expect it to be.

Furthermore, I'm confident a team like the Cowboys playing instead of South Sydney vs Newcastle would have pulled a better crowd. I have family up there and they're Cowboys/Broncos fans and only one went because he's a Newcastle supporter.

Taking games to the bush is far from an idea that needs to be scrapped. It needs to be marketed better and having the right teams there to attract the crowds. Unfortunately for Souths and Newcastle, they're not clubs that are going to attract a sell out crowd and I would highly recommend Souths, if they want to persist with the a fixture in Cairns, to do so against the Cowboys or even Broncos, not a team from out of state.

For the record, Cairns has a population of 150,000 or thereabouts. 7.6% of Cairns showed up. The equivalent of a crowd of 349,000 in Sydney. :roll:

Seriously, though, since when is a city of 150k "bush"?

Ezy

Juniors
Yeah you would have to be legit broken in the head to go to a Raiders game. I mean it would be pretty cathartic to boo the soft merkins in person but its pretty expensive. Expect to see the Players being hit by tumbleweeds as they fail to win games over the coming weeks.

It's the first time in about 25 years of going to Raiders games that I REALLY did not want to go. Unfortunately the kids caught on that they were letting people on to the ground after the game.

The club is really down to the hard-nosed, stubborn die-hard fan now. Worst thing is that there is still five weeks before we collect the spoon. Just die already 2014.

Swarzey

Bench
I should clarify my post, it's more or less in relation to the idea of taking games elsewhere, it's just getting a bit carried away in my response to BM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.