What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

Game_Breaker

Coach
I thought the Mannnlllyyyy chant sounded good. Manly fans made plenty of noise despite being outnumbered.

It was funny watching those bays of Dogs fans on the eastern side look completely lifeless whenever Manly scored in the 2nd half.

You must crack up every game watching fans look lifeless every time the opposition scores

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I'll ask you again and no doubt you won't give an answer. What are your solutions to 'poor' crowds?

If you actually read my original post,

Surprise !!!! it had a possible solution,,, unike 99% of the dribble on this site

Nearly time to scrap all finals prize money

And give it to the teams as a %of the gate in the finals

Base it on the % of their ST holders use thier aan number or something

Guaranteed if roosters could see cash last night they get 30k

And ill say it again, give the clubs a financial stake in the finals, and you will see crowds rise...

As a season ticket holder, there is a disconnect between H&A and the "finals"

Give the roosters a reason, to get their fans off the couch, ie $$$$$

NRL are spending about a $1M on "prize money" pay this as a % of gate in the finals, and you will see a change

Saint Doc

Coach
Which game gets the higher crowd next week?

Battle of the East
- Souths have huge fan base
- Souths usual home ground
- Roosters fans have no competition from their other loves (swans, tahs)
- Massive rivalry
- First finals game between them since 1938
- The Grand Final everyone was expecting one week early
- Genuine contest that could go either way
...but
- Friday night
- souths fans burnt from 2012 & 2013?
- played only a few weeks ago

Battle of the West
- Dogs have huge fan base and momentum building
- Dogs usual home ground
- Saturday night
- Cinderella story, panthers probably most appealing team left for neutrals
...but
- Panthers least supported team out of all 4
- not known rivals like the other game
- people still expecting panthers to fail

Prediction:
Friday: 51k
Saturday: 42k

mattyg

Bench
Friday - 71k
Saturday - 62k

Souths/Easts got 59k to a regular season game last year, this should break 70k for sure

Dogs had 20k of the fans minimum at tonight's game away from home. At home being week 3 there will be 30-35k dogs fans and I think panthers can chip in with 25k given the bandwagon support they are getting. Should be around the 60k mark hopefully

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
All Sydney prelims are always huge, and Souths V Easts will provide an incredible atmosphere. 70K + for sure.

Penrith V Canterbury should be up to the 50K mark too.

There will be 2 huge crowds next week, which will more than make up for the average crowds of the last few weeks (even though they weren't that bad to begin with).

Saint Doc

Coach
So we've only ever had 5 all-Sydney NRL premliminary finals at Stadium Australia

74549 Bulldogs vs Eels 2009
71212 Dragons vs Tigers 2010
70354 Bulldogs vs Souths 2012
51827 Sharks vs Dragons 1999
44546 Souths vs Manly 2013

Average 62495

But never 2 on the same weekend, which may affect the number of neutrals that would attend both.

Great opportunity for a 2 for 1 ticket deal if you ask me. Charge for it, but make it attractive, e.g. $40 for one or $55 for two games.

In terms of all preliminary finals at ANZ stadium, there has been 12 since 1999, a low of 31087 and an average of 49582.

Also bear in mind some other crowds to help guide expectations.
37868 - dogs vs panthers SFS 2004 preliminary
43174 - panthers vs warriors ANZ 2003 preliminary
45782 - sharks vs warriors ANZ 2002 preliminary (WOW).

So in summary (as both games are all Sydney affairs):

- PASS mark: expect somewhere between the all time ANZ preliminary average and the all-Sydney ANZ average (i.e. 49k to 62k)
- Absolute lowest expected crowd for dogs panthers should be 40k (given that they attracted 37k to SFS 10 years ago, which is much further away from both areas than ANZ)
- Given that 2 games at ANZ...somewhere in the 40-60k each seems fair, with around 50k each seeming pretty likely

Brutus

Referee
So we've only ever had 5 all-Sydney NRL premliminary finals at Stadium Australia

74549 Bulldogs vs Eels 2009
71212 Dragons vs Tigers 2010
70354 Bulldogs vs Souths 2012
51827 Sharks vs Dragons 1999
44546 Souths vs Manly 2013

Average 62495

But never 2 on the same weekend, which may affect the number of neutrals that would attend both.

Great opportunity for a 2 for 1 ticket deal if you ask me. Charge for it, but make it attractive, e.g. $40 for one or $55 for two games.

In terms of all preliminary finals at ANZ stadium, there has been 12 since 1999, a low of 31087 and an average of 49582.

Also bear in mind some other crowds to help guide expectations.
37868 - dogs vs panthers SFS 2004 preliminary
43174 - panthers vs warriors ANZ 2003 preliminary
45782 - sharks vs warriors ANZ 2002 preliminary (WOW).

So in summary (as both games are all Sydney affairs):

- PASS mark: expect somewhere between the all time ANZ preliminary average and the all-Sydney ANZ average (i.e. 49k to 62k)
- Absolute lowest expected crowd for dogs panthers should be 40k (given that they attracted 37k to SFS 10 years ago, which is much further away from both areas than ANZ)
- Given that 2 games at ANZ...somewhere in the 40-60k each seems fair, with around 50k each seeming pretty likely

If we do get good crowds you can be assured the Telecrap won't mention it.

It looks as though that Rothlberger tool has absolutely given in to NRL crowds...again today.

Will Rothberger mention a 60-70k friday night crowd or a 50k plus saturday night crowd?

DC_fan

Coach

Surprise !!!! it had a possible solution,,, unike 99% of the dribble on this site

And ill say it again, give the clubs a financial stake in the finals, and you will see crowds rise...

NRL are spending about a $1M on "prize money" pay this as a % of gate in the finals, and you will see a change

Most fans don't give a stuff about how much their team makes from the gate. So that's not going influence them to attend. There was heavy promotion for both games in their lead up, yet we totalled just 46-47,000 fans attending. Week 2 of the finals each year may just have to be remembered for ordinary crowds.

Next weeks two games should draw massive crowds. If they don't then the game has a problem.

DC_fan

Coach
The NRL has to convince fans that the only way to see the game played is to be at the stadium. That fans cannot have that true feeling a true understanding a true enjoyment of the game without attending games. Right now the NRL is failing with that.

It's too easy for fans to stay home and watch a game in TV. With the quality of TVs we have today they bring the atmosphere of being at the game right in to your lounge room. So why attend? If you are at home there is no queues for the bathroom or to get something to eat. There is no rush for the train station after the match or the hassles of getting out of the car park.

Fans are looking for a personal experience from the game. Right now they are not getting it from attending games.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Most fans don't give a stuff about how much their team makes from the gate. So that's not going influence them to attend. There was heavy promotion for both games in their lead up, yet we totalled just 46-47,000 fans attending. Week 2 of the finals each year may just have to be remembered for ordinary crowds.

Next weeks two games should draw massive crowds. If they don't then the game has a problem.

I think the point he made went straight over your head.

Of course fans don't care about the gate %'s their club makes but his proposal puts the onus back on the 'home' club to market the shit out of the upcoming game because there is a carrot dangling out in front of them in that they get to keep all the cash generated from ticket sales.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

That's not a solution to get bums on seats. It's just transferring the issue from one place to another. The big clubs don't give a flying f**k about their gate takings, it's a small percentage of their money making schedule.

So you've given me one solution. You owe everyone who has to read your daily whinging about 10000 more.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Friday night 65k?? If 60k can show for that round 26 minor premiership game, surely 5k plus more will come.

What is the penrith bandwagon like? It's been a while..

If Bulldogs brought 35-40,000 could penrith bring 15-20,000?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

That is honestly brilliant!!

There would still a monetary advantage to winning games (more finals games to compete in and gain from) but the focus is on the clubs off-field activities (promotion, etc.) rather than just the onfield achievements.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Honestly I don't think too many fans are concerned by where the money goes when they buy tickets to final series. They know in the back of their mind it's carved up between the nrl and ticketek, but who is really thinking deeply about that?

The roosters game had the obvious competition with the swans game and many of out floating fans clearly choose the swans on that night.

Last night was OK but not spectacular, I really thought manly fans would travel on a Saturday evening with no competition. But perhaps the big issue here is the access to the stadium and kickoffs times for Northern beaches fans. The 8pm kickoffs should be brought back to 7.15 at the latest to combat this.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Comparing this weekend's crowds of 28k and 18k to the A-League derby is ridiculous. It's a thrice-yearly event, the NRL is played in Sydney an average of 3 times a week between March and September.

It's called f**king supply and demand.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
A few people I work with Dont like a league or soccer

But are going to Sydney Derby

Just to experience the atmosphere

It looks to be one of the best atmospheres in aus sport

Latest posts