What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The SANFL got 38,500 today at their grand final at the adelaide oval. I know that ground is still in a honeymoon period crowd wise but wow that is so impressive foe a second tier comp in this country

RWB

Bench
Yeh that's awesome.

NSW Cup Grand Final is this Saturday @ the SFS and I'd be surprised if it drew more than a few thousand tbph.

thorson1987

Coach
The SANFL got 38,500 today at their grand final at the adelaide oval. I know that ground is still in a honeymoon period crowd wise but wow that is so impressive foe a second tier comp in this country

A lot more fans follow the SANFL than AFL due to the clubs having the history behind them.

Also I would say that would be around average for their grand final. Some of the crowds for regular season though would rival GWS crowds up here, and that is for the bigger match ups.

thorson1987

Coach
Yeh that's awesome.

NSW Cup Grand Final is this Saturday @ the SFS and I'd be surprised if it drew more than a few thousand tbph.

It's on Sunday unfortunately. Otherwise I would have taken my son because I have mates playing in both Sydney Shield and Ron Massey Cup grand finals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still bigger than any other domestic rugby comp on earth! It's a good starting point, the average will grow over the next decade.

Super15 and currie cup both have higher avg's.

Given the avg NRL crowd hasn't really changed for six years what givesyou confidence they will grow over the next few?

Desert Qlder

First Grade

The WAFL GF only got 12000, which is lowest they've had for 70 years.

The Adelaide crowd was definitely a product of the stadium honeymoon, but nonetheless fantastic.

The Queensland Cup has the potential to reach regular 20k attendances, if promoted well. Today saw a ground record at Langlands Park for the prelim, so interest is on the upswing.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
The Nrl needed teams like Parramatta, dragons and tigers in the semis, if that were the case this conversation would more than likely be moot.

When I lived in Adelaide the SANFL GF would always get 20-30k. That crowd has nothig really to do with the new stadium. I think there was even a 40k crowd for a sanfl gf.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
You claimed there are too many teams in Sydney. When the last 5 standing are all Sydney teams, clearly there are not too many.

How a team performs on field has nothing to f**king do with fans not turning up to watch them. As a matter of fact, it works against your argument, you f**king flog.

Super15 and currie cup both have higher avg's.

Given the avg NRL crowd hasn't really changed for six years what givesyou confidence they will grow over the next few?

Ffs , he Clearly said 'domestic' !

Super 15 isn't domestic!

Currie cup is virtually on par with the NRL from what I can see. About 16k

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The over saturation of Sydney clubs is a problem that the NRL must find a way to solve but it will not be easy. Tribalism is always going to rear its ugly head. Cronulla supporters aren't about to start supporting Manly or Easts simply because their club is gone and they have no one else. They will go to the Swans or Sydney FC just to spite the NRL.

Centralizing Rugby League in NSW for so many years was always going to be a terrible idea in the long term and now we're starting to see the results. The NRL needs to first tell the NSWRL to f**k off then take their medicine in the short term in order to nationalize the code in the long term. Potentially losing some supporters to other codes is that medicine. Cutting dead weight NSW clubs is a must, one way or the other so there will inevitably be some pain in the statistics that the media will have a great old wank over.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ffs , he Clearly said 'domestic' !

Super 15 isn't domestic!

Currie cup is virtually on par with the NRL from what I can see. About 16k

Define domestic? No difference between super 15 and NRL. Clubs in cities playing n a multinational league. What's the difference?

Define domestic? No difference between super 15 and NRL. Clubs in cities playing n a multinational league. What's the difference?

Lol.

The word doesn't need defining. It's clear that super 15 is not a domestic comp.

Clearly the super 15 only has 1 team per state/province.

The NRL is very different.

If you can't see the difference you need help.

Eddie Lab

Juniors

super 15 teams plays 16 games per year. 8 games at home with only 5 teams. so minus finals super 15 only plays 40 regular season games per year in Australia. compared to NRL's 186(minus 12 for Warrior games) games in Australia.

so the difference is 146 games. considering the average is only a thousand or so more for the regular season it's nothing to crow about for RU.

guyver78

Juniors
Went to the Bulldogs and Manly game on Saturday night and I must admit. A lot more Manly supporters had turned up then I anticipated. There would have been no more then 4000 of them against Souths the week before but I'd say they had about double that last Saturday night against the Bulldogs so well done.

I thought the Dogs were going to outnumber Manly 6/7 to 1 but that wasn't the case at all.

ouwet

Bench
Went to the Bulldogs and Manly game on Saturday night and I must admit. A lot more Manly supporters had turned up then I anticipated. There would have been no more then 4000 of them against Souths the week before but I'd say they had about double that last Saturday night against the Bulldogs so well done.

I thought the Dogs were going to outnumber Manly 6/7 to 1 but that wasn't the case at all.

We were never going to out number them 6/7 too 1! It would've been 20K Bulldogs, 8K Manly, great atmosphere.

This week the crowds should be good...

Souths V Easts - 35,000 South Sydney supporters, 20,000 Roosters, 5K Sponsers/ANZ members, 8K Neutrals (Who will probably go for South Sydney) - Crowd 68,000

Penrith V Bulldogs - 35,000 Bulldog supporters, 15,000 Penrith, 5K Sponsers/ANZ members, 5K Neutrals (Who will probably for for Penrith) - Crowd - Crowd 60,000

Desert Qlder

First Grade
When I lived in Adelaide the SANFL GF would always get 20-30k. That crowd has nothig really to do with the new stadium. I think there was even a 40k crowd for a sanfl gf.

The key difference for Adelaide is the support the SANFL receives from the Advertiser.

For many years during the reign of News Ltd. over our game, the Courier Mail saw fit to completely bury QRL competition as it was viewed as a competitor to their beloved Broncos. They saw no need to promote or even report on the QRL lest it drag attention away from their cash cow.

Ratings for Queensland Cup matches when the ABC were broadcasting them proved irresistible for a commercial network, and proof that interest was still strong, though somewhat dormant. But without regular reportage it allowed the disconnect between people and the clubs to fester.

The QRL needs to continue to build on the gains that have been made over the past ten years or so. But it would be nice if the CM did their bit just as the Advertiser does in Adelaide.

big hit!

Bench
Less than 60k for either match is a disgrace to the league.

Tix are dirt cheap for finals, all-Metro representation, exciting match-ups, venue with a large capacity.

What will kill those predictions is the conditioning of sydney folk to watch footy on television, and the fact that Olympic stadium seating is so far away from the action, it can be devoid of atmosphere in some pockets of the ground and you end up watching much of the game on the screens anyway.

Disgrace of a venue.

Latest posts