What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Sh*t, sounds like clever planning to me.

Who'd have thunk...

Imo the scheduling of this four nations is perfect. Thhe only gripe i have is how longnit took them to get to releasing the dates and venues to the public. Pretty much stopped any chance of thousands of english fans making their way here

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Actually the last two times, England has been in Australia, they've played matches in Melbourne around the time Melbourne Cup is on.

2008 they got over 36,000 at Etihad Stadium
2010 they got I think just over 18,000 at AAMI Park

Me thinks they'll be more than the 2010 crowd, probably cause its 4pm in the afternoon

It always good planning, Derby day on the Saturday then Rugby League the next day.

Diesel

Referee
Imo the scheduling of this four nations is perfect. Thhe only gripe i have is how longnit took them to get to releasing the dates and venues to the public. Pretty much stopped any chance of thousands of english fans making their way here

I think the hold up was because of the final, originally planned for Brisbane but it's the same weekend as the G20 where parts of the city are in lock down and the other parts will be rioting, so they had to find another venue for the final

Canard

Immortal
Is there much promotion of it in melbourne?

Not really. A lot of my Melbourne workmates have no idea it's on.

I just got my ticket and the PAX is 14,504. I reckon this far out that means we are looking at around 20,000+ which is a good result for Melbourne. (Im no expert on these things)

Isn't the g20 in cairns?

That was the finance ministers part of it. The Brisbane one is where the actual Prime Ministers, Presidents, Dictators show up.

papabear

Juniors
imo an Australia v England league game promoted half decently in Sydney on either a Saturday or sunday afternoon would have got atleast 30k if not more.

Canard

Immortal
Considering only 25K turned up for Aus V NZ "in-season" this year, I don't know why people think that.

papabear

Juniors
LOL the midseason test Australia always smashes nz and its in the middle of the footy season, so we already have a stack of footy we can goto if we want.

Now there is a dearth of footy, England would bring a decent amount of fans and unpredictability in result.

I don't mind playing it in Melbourne but if they are doing it for the expansion of rugby league its kind of wasting it, if it isn't promoting the shit out of the game.

Canard

Immortal
LOL the midseason test Australia always smashes nz and its in the middle of the footy season, so we already have a stack of footy we can goto if we want.

Now there is a dearth of footy, England would bring a decent amount of fans and unpredictability in result.

Maybe your right, but you can't really claim that the because nobody turned up to a Test match footy in Sydney 4 months ago, plenty will now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Viewing this on a wide screen monitor and the pop up ads at sides are for 3 up and coming socceroos matches. FRck the NRL marketing dept suck. I thought they had expanded that team with their new found billions?

I would love to know what the marketing strategy and budget is for the 4nations and who is responsible for it. You would think that Ch9/NRL&RLIF as well as the other 3 nations who get a share of the profit would all have vested interests in filling every stadium and getting a million viewers on TV.

Bronco Rob

Juniors

I don't mind playing it in Melbourne but if they are doing it for the expansion of rugby league its kind of wasting it, if it isn't promoting the shit out of the game.

It also didn't help with the media bagging the crap out of the game and questioning its worth due to the weakened NZ side. I didn't see the same bagging of the Wallabies tests when France sent out a weakened squad.

IMO the test series between the 2 nations can be just as fierce rivals as SOO but we need a shift of attitudes towards the games . NZ are closing the gap, they have so much more depth these days than 10-15 years ago and the new SOO eligibility rules should help, we shouldn't see Kiwis playing for the Kanagroos just so they can play Origin.

Canard

Immortal
Viewing this on a wide screen monitor and the pop up ads at sides are for 3 up and coming socceroos matches. FRck the NRL marketing dept suck. I thought they had expanded that team with their new found billions?

You do realise that those ads are tailored by Google by using your recent search history/location etc?

So basically you have been looking Soccer content sites recently that's why its like that.

undertaker

Coach
The Australia vs England fixture in Melbourne got less than 19k 4 years ago. 20-25k on Sunday arvo will be considered a success IMO.

I don't know how many will turn up at Whangarei when NZ smash Samoa on Saturday arvo.

Last edited:

Latest posts