What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

macnaz

Staff member
A Club gets $5.85-7million from the TV deal

What revenue do you think can be generated from a 55k membership base? I'll give you a clue, it's a lot more than $7million.

Who has a 55k membership base ?

LatK7

First Grade
Out of our 8 membership tickets, only 2 can go tonight.

Thursday school night and work commitments, along with the laughable 8.05pm (so what....8.45pm kick off now...) did that.

Yep, so they'll be late with kick off. Makes it pretty bloody difficult for most.

guyver78

Juniors
Souths don't set the pricing ffs. We don't make money directly from ticket sales to non members. That goes to ANZ and we get a set figure for every match plus bonuses for meeting crowd quotas.

you sure??? then who sets the pricing for tonight's game in that case?

Are you saying this is all up to ANZ stadium and Souths just get a cut?

In that case does this also work the same way for the Roosters with Allianz Stadium?

guyver78

Juniors
Going by what you can buy on ticketek at the moment for Cat 1 reserved (Level 4 - 405) I'd say we're looking at a crowd of around 35,000 so about the same as last year at SFS.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Going by what you can buy on ticketek at the moment for Cat 1 reserved (Level 4 - 405) I'd say we're looking at a crowd of around 35,000 so about the same as last year at SFS.

To be honest that would be a pass mark. Its a stadium away from where both teams traditional fanbase live, add in the changeable weather, crap viewing at anz and a school night

TheDalek079

Bench
My feeling is that the crowd will be a C+ or B- kind of crowd. Acceptable, almost good but considering it's round 1 and the quality of Easts and Souffs at the moment it should be drawing higher. I'm picking 36k~39k

BunniesMan

Immortal
Crowds are the most important thing!
Crowds are the most important thing!!
Crowds are the most important thing!!!

CROWDS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

I'll tell ya something for free. As long as TV money is the biggest cash cow for the game, they ain't.

Newman. Completely wrong. TV rights are split equally. Every extra dollar one club gets, so do 15 others. What's the point of having more money if every other club gets the exact same increase to spend the same amount on coaches/facilities etc etc.

Crowds are what sets apart the big clubs and the small clubs. Brisbane and Souths have millions more flowing in than Canberra and Penrith.

NRL makes roughly the same as the AFL from tv. The reason AFL revenue is over 400 million and the reason NRL revenue is 100 million less than that is because of the difference in crowds.

That is why crowds are important for the code as a whole as well as for individual clubs.

If crowds didn't matter Dave Smith would not be devising a stadium strategy that is designed to increase crowds. He would not have set a crowd target and he would not be working hard to get to that target.

BunniesMan

Immortal
you sure??? then who sets the pricing for tonight's game in that case?

Are you saying this is all up to ANZ stadium and Souths just get a cut?

In that case does this also work the same way for the Roosters with Allianz Stadium?

We don't get a cut of profits.

We get 100k a game. So if and when we get shit crowds it doesn't hurt us but we get bonuses on top of the 100k every time crowds go over a certain mark. I believe it is 20k.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Newman. Completely wrong. TV rights are split equally. Every extra dollar one club gets, so do 15 others. What's the point of having more money if every other club gets the exact same increase to spend the same amount on coaches/facilities etc etc.

Crowds are what sets apart the big clubs and the small clubs. Brisbane and Souths have millions more flowing in than Canberra and Penrith.

NRL makes roughly the same as the AFL from tv. The reason AFL revenue is over 400 million and the reason NRL revenue is 100 million less than that is because of the difference in crowds.

That is why crowds are important for the code as a whole as well as for individual clubs.

If crowds didn't matter Dave Smith would not be devising a stadium strategy that is designed to increase crowds. He would not have set a crowd target and he would not be working hard to get to that target.

of course crowds matter

but they arent the most important thing, TV rights are ...ie TV ratings mean more than crowds

everyone is focusing on crowds being 5 - 10,000 higher on average

whats way more important is growing TV ratings by 100,000 or more a game

newman

First Grade

I thought you had me on ignore?

I'm not even going to argue with you but I will point out 2 things that will definitely increase crowds.
-scarcity breeds demand. Halve the number of games in a season and you will see crowds increase dramatically.
- family friendly times logically equal better turnouts. Games on Monday and late on Thursdays do not.

Until the league does something about the above issues, I'll believe then that crowds are the most important thing. While they continue to schedule millions of games a season so that tv networks get content and put them on Monday and Thursday nights I'll worry as much about crowds as I do now; which ain't much.

newman

First Grade
I actually find this hand wringing about crowds highly amusing. Genuinely so. These threads always bring the lolz.

(*in a massive girls voice) "OMG raiders v sharks only got 11,475 LETS ALL KILL OURSELVES!"

Springs

First Grade
Looks like Thursday Night Football has lost it's novelty. This game deserved 40-50,000. Should have been Friday.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Maybe just 30k

I am not deadset against Thursday games maybe 3 at most in a season. But they have to be smarter with who plays and where. Same fixture at allianz gets a tick on a Thursday but not at anz

Flapper

First Grade
I actually find this hand wringing about crowds highly amusing. Genuinely so. These threads always bring the lolz.

(*in a massive girls voice) "OMG raiders v sharks only got 11,475 LETS ALL KILL OURSELVES!"

How massive is the girl?

Diesel

Referee
Maybe just 30k

I am not deadset against Thursday games maybe 3 at most in a season. But they have to be smarter with who plays and where. Same fixture at allianz gets a tick on a Thursday but not at anz

Totally agree

This game should be played on Saturday or Sunday to maximise crowd and a Thursday game should be shared around.

If 9 chose this game they've lost rating in Queensland, a lot of pissed off people up here will not watch the 9 broadcast today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts