What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragons01

First Grade
I don?t think a one off Thursday night game to start the season is a bad thing, I would prefer it to Monday but that?s another discussion. The situation last year having 4 in a row with the Monday games as well was stupid.

If anything it could be it?s the stadium holding things back here. Last year the game got 35k on a Thursday at the SFS and would probably get towards 40 this year so anything below that tonight would be disappointing.

The weather will play a big part especially for the casual supporter. The die-hards will turn up no matter what.

newman

First Grade
Come on Sydney don;t get lower crowd than the soccer game, we'll never hear the last of it from the media! Every self respecting RL fan should be at the game to make sure it doesn;t happen.

I'm not going. I couldn't give a shit what happens with the soccer and it's crowd. I'll watch the game happily from home with a slab and a pizza and won't blink once about being "self respecting".

Paullyboy

Coach
I'm not going. I couldn't give a shit what happens with the soccer and it's crowd. I'll watch the game happily from home with a slab and a pizza and won't blink once about being "self respecting".

Yeah I share your thoughts (although I'm not in Sydney so going was never an option). People have really got to get over this obsession with crowd figures. As I said earlier in this thread, there is no other sport on earth that obsesses about its crowd figures so much as rugby league in Australia. Just enjoy the game, who cares how many are there?

bobmar28

Bench
Yeah I share your thoughts (although I'm not in Sydney so going was never an option). People have really got to get over this obsession with crowd figures. As I said earlier in this thread, there is no other sport on earth that obsesses about its crowd figures so much as rugby league in Australia. Just enjoy the game, who cares how many are there?

Empty seats looks bad on TV. Half price tickets would get people going to games.

LJC

Juniors
The NRL are compromising game day attendances with their continued policy of playing games on particularly Monday nights and the Thursday night. I could stomach the Thursday night games if Monday night was replaced by Sunday night games in total. Perhaps A Monday long weekend game can have the Monday night game but the negative impact on the following weeks round for the fans and clubs is immense. Most fans, except for those who work on weekends(bar staff etc), dislike Monday night games and will not attend them!

It's perfectly clear that week nights are not fan friendly!

I accept that SOO has remarkable crowds and this is a credit to rugby league. But SOO is different and more of a one off than subjecting NRL fans to an elongated weekend of football. If they go the way of Sunday night football instead of Monday night football I think they will reap long term rewards in fan loyalty and increased crowds!

The Saturday afternoon fixtures are a good move and has shown the NRL is listening to some extent.

Last edited:

Dragons01

First Grade

I think the clubs care, that is why there is this whole big push on ticketed memberships. Dave smith himself has said the clubs need to grow their crowds and not just rely on money from the TV deals.

BunniesMan

Immortal

The NRL has set targets for crowd growth. It is considered to be a KPI by the people running the game. Crowds matter.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Crowds matter a lot for profitability.

Everybody gets the same money from tv. TV doesn't help any one team compared to the rest. Crowds and the income from that is where well run clubs can get ahead of the pack.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
LJC - Thursday nights are anomaly, not a regular occurence. We don't see TNF again til Round 23 I think.

Monday nights I agree but with TV that's how it goes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the clubs care, that is why there is this whole big push on ticketed memberships. Dave smith himself has said the clubs need to grow their crowds and not just rely on money from the TV deals.

Of course they do. It matters to their bottom line. The $10million+ revenue difference between WC Eagles and Brisbane Broncos is largely due to the 55k+ members WC have compared to the 30k Broncos have. More fans = more money for a wide range of reasons including interest to corporates. Generally more fans at games is reflected in interest in the game which is reflective of media deals.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Of course they do. It matters to their bottom line. The $10million+ revenue difference between WC Eagles and Brisbane Broncos is largely due to the 55k+ members WC have compared to the 30k Broncos have. More fans = more money for a wide range of reasons including interest to corporates. Generally more fans at games is reflected in interest in the game which is reflective of media deals.

plus higher crowds mean being able to win internet arguments with AFL fans on here

guyver78

Juniors
Will be shithouse tonight, will be very surprised if they crack 30,000.

Again ANZ Stadium on a Thursday/Friday night, $45 a seat and extending Cat 1 reserved seats to as far as the side dead ball line will all ensure crowd is crap.

NRL and greedy execs need to wake up.

elbusto

Coach

Again ANZ Stadium on a Thursday/Friday night, $45 a seat and extending Cat 1 reserved seats to as far as the side dead ball line will all ensure crowd is crap.

Well that made me feel better. Thanks for the feel good message!:crazy:

georgesnmith

Juniors

souths home game they set the pricing.

im sure they know the best way to maximise their game revenue

BunniesMan

Immortal
Souths don't set the pricing ffs. We don't make money directly from ticket sales to non members. That goes to ANZ and we get a set figure for every match plus bonuses for meeting crowd quotas.

Out of our 8 membership tickets, only 2 can go tonight.

Thursday school night and work commitments, along with the laughable 8.05pm (so what....8.45pm kick off now...) did that.

newman

First Grade
Crowds are the most important thing!
Crowds are the most important thing!!
Crowds are the most important thing!!!

CROWDS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

I'll tell ya something for free. As long as TV money is the biggest cash cow for the game, they ain't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A Club gets $5.85-7million from the TV deal

What revenue do you think can be generated from a 55k membership base? I'll give you a clue, it's a lot more than $7million.

Status
Not open for further replies.