What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyver78

Juniors
2 x FNF (20,059 MAN/WST & 20,060 SOU/MAN)
1 x Sunday footy (20,059 MAN/WST)

I'm thinking 16-17k tonight, hopefully.

It's Manly's home game but I don't know that Manly have all that many season ticket holders for this to be a sellout. Souths have a lot more season ticket holders that got free entry into the ground last year as part of their season ticket package hence the crowd of over 20,000.

As always money talks and there was only a slight 10% discount for Souths members who pre-purchased their tickets so I doubt they will be anywhere near selling out.

In saying that I'm going up there for a nice drive and the weather will be beautiful so anything is possible.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
And what a geniused effort it is as well, showing a table of what the games would have got if played at different grounds. Apparently Bulldogs vs Broncos would have got 52k is played in Brisbane... :roll:

Given sluggish by comparison sales for this Cowboys fixture, I think if suncorp opened with that last week we would be lucky with 36k+.

juro

Bench
Given sluggish by comparison sales for this Cowboys fixture, I think if suncorp opened with that last week we would be lucky with 36k+.
The thing is that almost every single crowd was a best case scenario, instead of a realistic estimate. 20k in Melbourne. 25k in Newcastle. 40k at the SFS.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Was a very stupid article. But if this is true

They should get hit with a massive fine because that is just disgraceful

hes right about the yield though

its all about maximising revenue

crowd size is just a p**sing contest with AFL if they are all $5 tickets like the giants are selling for their game

guyver78

Juniors
hes right about the yield though

its all about maximising revenue

crowd size is just a p**sing contest with AFL if they are all $5 tickets like the giants are selling for their game

Anybody who thinks they're appreciated by their club or the NRL is a fool. In reality your club doesn't care anymore about you then the Supermarket that you buy your grocery's from nightly. In the end you're a paying customer and your season, origin, finals or grand final ticket is a business transaction and nothing more.

I paid $385 I think it was for a reserved season ticket seat at ANZ this year but I bet if the club could charge me $1000 they would have no hesitation whatsoever in doing so.

Look at what they've done to grand final and now state of origin ticket prices. they're charging ridiculous prices... why? because they can

Whilst Richardson's comments may come as a disappointment to some it's the truth.

It's nothing personal, clubs need to survive hence why Souths are playing their matches at ANZ as opposed to the SFS.

Kirky

Juniors
Anybody who thinks they're appreciated by their club or the NRL is a fool. In reality your club doesn't care anymore about you then the Supermarket that you buy your grocery's from nightly. In the end you're a paying customer and your season, origin, finals or grand final ticket is a business transaction and nothing more.

I paid $385 I think it was for a reserved season ticket seat at ANZ this year but I bet if the club could charge me $1000 they would have no hesitation whatsoever in doing so.

Look at what they've done to grand final and now state of origin ticket prices. they're charging ridiculous prices... why? because they can

Whilst Richardson's comments may come as a disappointment to some it's the truth.

It's nothing personal, clubs need to survive hence why Souths are playing their matches at ANZ as opposed to the SFS.

Agree that he speaks the truth, but I still like the clubs to maintain at least the illusion that i'm little more than a crop to them. I appreciate that sport is increasingly being run as a business, but I still find it jarring when a club is referred to as a 'brand', or when fans are described in terms of 'yield.' It was an incredibly stupid and tactless thing for him to say and he deserves to be slammed for it.

georgesnmith

Juniors

i just think he meant higher crowds might not mean higher revenue without denigrating his fans

everyone assumes higher crowds might mean higher revenue, thats just a guess based on assumptions

his point about it not mattering what it looks like on TV is valid, his job is to maximise his club's finances

demand for NRL tickets could well be inelastic, or highly inelastic which means lower ticket prices will actually reduce revenues

ek999

First Grade
My original post was deleted for no link

“I don’t care about the crowd numbers,” he said this week, “I care about the yield. Who cares about the look?”

And this is the club that has done nothing to promote Friday’s game against Manly in Gosford.

The Central Coast’s top rating radio station 2GO requested an interview with a Souths player in the build-up.

Souths media department flatly refused - because it was a Manly home game... denying a golden opportunity to promote the game and help bring new fans through the gates.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/po...gs-for-round-one/story-fndujljl-1226854081522

The main bit that is disgraceful is the refusal to do a radio interview because it isn't their home game. FFS we're trying to grow the game and we have a club sabotaging that becuase they don't see any benefit for themselves. At least the Bulldogs are trying things to increase crowds. They have a buy one get one free offer for GA tickets on Monday night along with possibly free buses from Cronulla and discounts for Cronulla members.

H.H

Juniors

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/po...gs-for-round-one/story-fndujljl-1226854081522

The main bit that is disgraceful is the refusal to do a radio interview because it isn't their home game. FFS we're trying to grow the game and we have a club sabotaging that becuase they don't see any benefit for themselves. At least the Bulldogs are trying things to increase crowds. They have a buy one get one free offer for GA tickets on Monday night along with possibly free buses from Cronulla and discounts for Cronulla members.
Goes against the mantra they had when the new owners came in 2006/07...

They were contantly saying they wanted the game overall to be successful and for all clubs to have great crowds and the they would do their bit to promote away games etc...

Expect nothing less from that club to be honest.

elbusto

Coach
Ticket allocations in most parts of Suncorp are 'exhausted' or single seats only.

Gosford - plenty of tickets available pretty much everywhere!

BranVan3000

Coach

Seems to be lacking context here, Richardson was asked about the "bad look" of a half full stadium, and his reply was that he is more concerned with the fact that they had 30k in seats than the aesthetics of whether they had 40k empty seats at ANZ

As for the interviews. The team is going up on the day, it's a different story if they are spending a few days up there like in past seasons. Are NRL clubs supposed to pay from their own pocket to promote games they won't get any gate takings from? The NRL should fund such things if its a problem

ek999

First Grade
Talk to the radio station over the phone for 10 minutes. Does a club really need to get compensated for that?

betcats

Referee
IF thats true about Souths declining the radio station thats pretty poor. This why I think the review of the media policy is a good thing, It doesnt need any major changes at all just need to start taking it seriously.

RWB

Bench
Seems to be lacking context here, Richardson was asked about the "bad look" of a half full stadium, and his reply was that he is more concerned with the fact that they had 30k in seats than the aesthetics of whether they had 40k empty seats at ANZ

As for the interviews. The team is going up on the day, it's a different story if they are spending a few days up there like in past seasons. Are NRL clubs supposed to pay from their own pocket to promote games they won't get any gate takings from? The NRL should fund such things if its a problem

Yeh it's a ridiculous expectation to think clubs should promote games that aren't their home games, like you say it's not like they're going to get any money from the game being a success.

Oh no wait they get a $7m grant every year which is based on the whole league being a success. With that should come the moral obligation to promote every game.

babyg

Juniors
Dont underestimate the power of word of mouth. You are more likely to talk about going to a game than going to watch it tv. You can see the different level of interest if you ate physically going to a game. In that sense it is worth subsidising tickets cause it gets more interest out in the real world.

BranVan3000

Coach
Yeh it's a ridiculous expectation to think clubs should promote games that aren't their home games, like you say it's not like they're going to get any money from the game being a success.

Oh no wait they get a $7m grant every year which is based on the whole league being a success. With that should come the moral obligation to promote every game.
The majority of that goes to the cap and club expenses. This is not a profit making industry, clubs need to be tight where they can. Sending players on a day trip for radio interviews on the central coast takes money out of the pocket, it's that simple. The club has two to three media sessions per week for questions and interviews, in addition to round the week training, recovery and playing are players meant to be at the beckon call of media now?

ek999

First Grade
They refused to do a radio interview on the highest rating radio station in the area where the game is being played. Something that costs nothing yet provides free promotion for the match and the NRL. Why are you going on about travelling, Souffs fans haven't heard of telephones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts