What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyver78

Juniors
Maybe just 30k

I am not deadset against Thursday games maybe 3 at most in a season. But they have to be smarter with who plays and where. Same fixture at allianz gets a tick on a Thursday but not at anz

Wasn't too bad mate, i was there last night and we had a good atmosphere at 27,200. Probably about 4000-5000 Roosters supporters to 22,000-23-000 Souths supporters.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've seen plenty of people describe that atmosphere as poor.

Souths piping "SOUFF SINNEY" chants over the P.A. doesn't help either.

Galeforce

Bench
A thursday night game at ANZ Stadium with a school/work day next day is DUMB.
A number of simple reasons that limits attendance . Variables from late night shopping ( workers , shoppers),traffic ( normal work/shopper traffic) , late finishing time for children/hence families. Easy decision is to stay home and watch on TV. I have Gold ANZ passes plus P! parking and decided it was easier to watch from home , because of school / late night shopping reasons for my kids.
If the mighty TV dollar requires a thursday night game , then NRL should use BRAINS to determine which home games would have least negative variables.
I would consider Cowboy , Gold Coast , Shark , Knights , Rooster and perhaps Bronco home games would draw reasonable well versus their friday night or saturday night , sunday arvo game.A Souths vs Roosters game on Sunday arvo or saturday night would have drawn another 10-20 thousand crowd.

Valheru

Coach
We can dissect the crowd all we want but the reason it was poor is because the Souths fan base is mythological.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I would consider Cowboy , Gold Coast , Shark , Knights , Rooster and perhaps Bronco home games would draw reasonable well versus their friday night or saturday night , sunday arvo game.A Souths vs Roosters game on Sunday arvo or saturday night would have drawn another 10-20 thousand crowd.

Out of that list, I could see Gold Coast (only while they are drawing stuff all anyway), Roosters and Knights being the teams that would have the least change in crowds by having a THursday night game. I would add the Raiders as a team that could pull it off as well (Probably something for the Raiders to get on TV should suggest that they are willing to play a few Thursday nights)

Bulldogs have heaps of Thursday night games this year at the back end of the season, will see how that plays out. I don't drink at the footy so it doesn't bother me, but I can understand those who like to drink at the footy, and families may find it hard.

newman

First Grade
BunniesMan did you cry when the crowd figure was announced? I mean, forget about Manus Island, the Ukraine and South Sudan this is the worst thing that has happened in 2014.

gronkathon

First Grade
On TV the ground announcer crying out "Lets Go South Sydney" or whatever he was saying sounded like he was passing a large stool.

Muppet

Brutus

Referee
Thursday night at ANZ for Souths v Easts, starting at 8.15pm is f**king pathetic. Killed at least 10k from the crowd.

I'll give you another reason for the shit crowd. $30 GA and $70 for cat 1.

A few years ago we were paying that to go to the GF.

The NRL will never get a good crowd in for a regular season game with ticket prices like that.

BuffaloRules

Coach

The NRL will never get a good crowd in for a regular season game with ticket prices like that.

But isnt there an ANZ Stadium membership deal that is like $80 bucks for 16 games or something?

Seems a feeble excuse....

DarceyLawler

Juniors
Given the Thursday night timeslot the crowd wasn't that bad. RL fans pick and choose which games they go to and the location of that stadium always limits the crowd.
The Waratahs overhyped game against the Reds on a Saturday afternoon getting 18,000 was a lot worse in my opinion.
If the atmosphere wasn't that great, it didn't come over on TV - I thought the Souths fans were pretty loud.
As has been stated at Allianz it would have been 30K+ easy.

And 2 years ago the equivalent Rnd 1 game got 18000, despite no free-to-air.

10 years ago this crowd would have been considered a triumph...that's how far things have moved.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Brisbane is $79 for cat 1 and $33 for cheapest category white GA.

Has been around these prices for years.

guyver78

Juniors
Predicting the crowd is becoming a real hit and miss these days and also has a hell of a lot to do with the weather on the day. I give up.

Souths vs Bulldogs on a Sunday afternoon 23 degrees in winter with both teams going reasonably well could quite easily attract at least 35,000 and as much as 50,000.

Same game on a Saturday night when it's cold and rainy and 1 of those teams isn't going well could get as low as 16,000.

If you think about it the whole Fox Sports package costs what about $55 these days? You can but a 70Inch Plasma/LED TV for as little as $2000. Unless going to the footy is something you really love like most of us here, it's hard to justify spending $45/50 on a Cat 1 reserved seat per person. Forget a family.

Valheru

Coach
Still bigger than yours.

We get 35k to our opener last year; you get 27k to yours. I recognise the stadium isn’t as ideal on a Thursday as SFS but souffs have eleventy billion fans so shouldn’t be an issue.

You may now proceed to tell us how a poor souths crowd is the roosters fault.

babyg

Juniors
N $15-20

Agrree. If the NRL want people to turn up to that shithole then theyd better be prepared to charge no more
$15-20
The cost of a movie ticket.

LJC

Juniors
South Sydney = fail. What a pathetic crowd.

No.

NRL fail!

Week day games such as Thursday and Monday nights are not right for rugby league and most sports fans!

SOO is a different thing. Its representative RL at a very high level and is more of a one off situation.

Crowds will continue to steer away from Thursday and Monday night games as todays society is time poor.

Weekend football is fine! Meaning Friday, Saturday and Sundays!

BunniesMan

Immortal

We get 35k to our opener last year; you get 27k to yours. I recognise the stadium isn?t as ideal on a Thursday as SFS but souffs have eleventy billion fans so shouldn?t be an issue.

You may now proceed to tell us how a poor souths crowd is the roosters fault.

Do you honestly think more Easts fans showed up to this game than Souths fans did last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts