What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BranVan3000

Coach
Can't expect Manly fans to fork out year after year for every finals match. If I was a rabbits fan I'd make sure I was there tonight but as it is, I'll be getting home from work at nearly 7pm and sitting down on the couch to watch the game. If we win, I'll have to think about whether my finances can stretch far enough to get to the game next week.
lol pathetic

The two Manly Souths games this year have been absolutely electric. Tonight will be a spectacle for the game, any fan should be there

The Director

Juniors
Can't expect Manly fans to fork out year after year for every finals match. If I was a rabbits fan I'd make sure I was there tonight but as it is, I'll be getting home from work at nearly 7pm and sitting down on the couch to watch the game. If we win, I'll have to think about whether my finances can stretch far enough to get to the game next week.

Complacency is an ugly thing.

90% of the Manly fans I've spoken to are watching it at the pub or at home and the reason I feel is a common link is that you simply don't care as much as we do. I am sitting in the office counting down the clock. I've organised to leave work early for the day. I have stomach knots. This game means a lot to me. I really want Souths' to win tonight and I guess even if they don't I really want to be for it. Even if it's putting me 100-150 dollars in debt on my credit card. If they win, I'll fork out 350 bucks for a ticket because to me it's worth it.

Manly fans just don't seem to care to make an effort to be there. And it's because you're just used to it. If not this year, you'll most likely get there next year so maybe go then. It's quite sad and it stalls the growth of the sport. AFL/NFL cultures are to get to the games, especially the big ones. Even if it's every year even if it's expected to be there at the pointy end of the season. Successful clubs like manly and the roosters don't seem to want to get there unless it works in with their plans and is convenient to them. It's annoying.

But all of that aside, Souths' fans shouldn't have that complacency. We've waited nearly half a century for a chance this strong to get into a GF. IF we win tonight, whatever happens over the next week and a half, from around 9:30pm tonight we will feel like we're on top of the world. And I want to be there for it.

firechild

First Grade
lol pathetic

The two Manly Souths games this year have been absolutely electric. Tonight will be a spectacle for the game, any fan should be there

I'm sure you could enlighten the forum as to my current financial position and let them decide whether it is pathetic. :roll:

BranVan3000

Coach
The biggest problem with NRL crowds is that the crowd isn't interactive. For the most part you go to the game, you sit and watch, most people don't get into the cheering too fervently. Soccer and AFL can sell the crowd as part of the package, people go to games for the crowd experience. Nobody goes to NRL games for the crowd experience, the closest I can think is maybe the Burrow, which by itself is still relatively small. NRL crowds can be so sterile compared to other sports, and the bad thing is when people do come into games and bring some feeling in the crowd (eg the scum banner) people bitch and moan, fans get banned and the crowd product becomes even more sterile. We should have seen the Roosters contingent organising a "vermin" banner if the teams make it on Grand Final. Not banning people.

DarceyLawler

Juniors
I don't agree NRL crowds lack passion. It's Australian crowds in general and, if anything, NRL crowds are louder than their peers in other sports. The atmosphere at the finals games has been great.

I've got mates from the UK who went to the recent British Lions union series and they all commented on the complete lack of passion from the aussie fans and their lame half-hearted chanting.

The major issue with crowds is the poor transport infrastructure in Sydney, and the design and location of ANZ stadium.

If you had a 55,000 seat rectangular stadium similar to Suncorp that was centrally located in Sydney plus a similar facility out west, the crowds would be better.

guyver78

Juniors
There are still Category 1 seats left for Souths but only right on the edges and in corners and the worst type for $95.

Manly were only allocated 3 Category 1 Aisles (109,110 & 111) on Level 1 and you can still buy tickets in Manly's Aisle 110 in 4's and 5's so I highly doubt there will even be 10,000 Manly supporters there.

Chuck in 25,000-30,000 Souths supporters & 5,000 neutrals and ANZ stadium members and we're looking at a crowd of about 40,000 give and take.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed it is an Australian thing, weird when you consider how loud and gregarious most Australians are! They get to the stadium and become ultimate conservative mutes!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I don't agree NRL crowds lack passion. It's Australian crowds in general and, if anything, NRL crowds are louder than their peers in other sports. The atmosphere at the finals games has been great.

I've got mates from the UK who went to the recent British Lions union series and they all commented on the complete lack of passion from the aussie fans and their lame half-hearted chanting.

The major issue with crowds is the poor transport infrastructure in Sydney, and the design and location of ANZ stadium.

If you had a 55,000 seat rectangular stadium similar to Suncorp that was centrally located in Sydney plus a similar facility out west, the crowds would be better.

The best atmosphere i have been to was a Borissia Dortmund game at Westfalenstadion in Germany 80,000 - crazy, feared for my life. But even then its just constant noise, where as league at times we get the loudest roar for a try etc. Ive been to many sporting events throughout Europe and its very interesting how different the crowds are throughout different cultures.

I will never forget the 2005 origin game one Matty Bowen intercept at Suncorp. Never heard anything close to as noisy as that.

Last week the Freo v Swans atmosphere was incredible. I do think our atmospheres are the better, though.

EDIT: On the Lions fans and Aussie fans - I think its a case of we are a bit more relaxed. If we loose its an "ah that sucks". When they loose its a ridiculously incomparable torture to them. Those lock outs that they have for EPL - where they send in the fans of opposing teams early and keep them in late - I would rather a duller atmosphere than that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rfihh4xrjU

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Agreed it is an Australian thing, weird when you consider how loud and gregarious most Australians are! They get to the stadium and become ultimate conservative mutes!

True. But scrap that for finals and origins.

At Suncorp broncos games the majority sit and clap for a try. For origins and finals its a jump yell.

JonnoM

Juniors

Yeh,blame ANZ Stadium(which incidentally boasts the higher Home/Away Average attendances in Sydney for the past 10 years) for the poor crowds at Parramatta,Penrith,SFS,Brooky,Kogarah,Leichhardt,Cronulla and Campbelltown.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think the difference is that Australian sport is just more entertaining. NRL and AFL (i guess, i dont watch it much) are sports that demand you to watch it. In rugby League the exciting moment can happen any time, anywhere on the field, so the cheers will be linked directly to what is happening on the field.

But watching soccer (say what every you want about the quality) you know that for the exciting moments to happen, the ball has to be up one end, so you dont even have to watch for 70% of the game.

Just look at the Wanderers crowds, they go crazy without anything actually happening. You realise that no one actually cares about the game being played, its just a fun place to be.

You're right about this. There is a proposal currently doing the rounds for a light rail to connect Parramatta to the city. The key is, though, that the main station to connect this to Parramatta Rd is infront of the Olympic Park.

Problem is that the NSW and National Liberal party only want to build roads.

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I still believe it will be sub 35,000. I will be there with a manly fan and 2 other bunnies supporters.

I have been a big critic of Souths supporters attendance track record for a long time. I absolutely was sure of a sub 15,000 crowd for SOU vs MEL earlier in the year, then they got 32,000 and I very much copped that on the chin as I was flat out wrong.

I think it will be 28,000 - 32,000. And I think that is piss poor.

Bunniesman - 75% of 30,000 is still pretty poor when it comes to a club starved of these moments for nearly half a century.

I don't think I'm a wanker. I am a pretty diehard supporter. But I am disappointed that for years Souths' fans spruked they'd fill the stadium as soon as they got success and now we hear from them saying 'yeah well we're still better than the other teams'.

I want to see the game I enjoy watching grow. I want to see my club help with that the way they were pioneers in ticketed membership numbers in the sport.

You do realise that over 40'000 tickets were sold by yesterday right?

firechild

First Grade
Everyone can effectively work out a budget including a social life. Those who wont are lazy.

Or they have expenses that you couldn't get your head around. I've always had plenty of money for such times but due to recent events, all that money and plenty more is gone (no, I haven't drunk, smoked or gambled it away) despite me earning a pretty decent wage. I have to prioritise and sometimes other things are more important than footy.

BranVan3000

Coach
There are still Category 1 seats left for Souths but only right on the edges and in corners and the worst type for $95.

Manly were only allocated 3 Category 1 Aisles (109,110 & 111) on Level 1 and you can still buy tickets in Manly's Aisle 110 in 4's and 5's so I highly doubt there will even be 10,000 Manly supporters there.

Chuck in 25,000-30,000 Souths supporters & 5,000 neutrals and ANZ stadium members and we're looking at a crowd of about 40,000 give and take.

There are better seats available now than two days ago cause of the ANZ members. I paid $70 for a seat in the corner it's ridiculous

RWB

Bench
The biggest problem with NRL crowds is that the crowd isn't interactive. For the most part you go to the game, you sit and watch, most people don't get into the cheering too fervently. Soccer and AFL can sell the crowd as part of the package, people go to games for the crowd experience. Nobody goes to NRL games for the crowd experience, the closest I can think is maybe the Burrow, which by itself is still relatively small. NRL crowds can be so sterile compared to other sports, and the bad thing is when people do come into games and bring some feeling in the crowd (eg the scum banner) people bitch and moan, fans get banned and the crowd product becomes even more sterile. We should have seen the Roosters contingent organising a "vermin" banner if the teams make it on Grand Final. Not banning people.

:lol: The Burrow

Surely you jest? Nearly every side has a group of supporters who chant and sing all game, you need to get to more away games.

From my experiences, Panthers are the most creative with their chants and the little Sharkies group they've got going on are the most persistent over the 80 mintues.

Frailty

First Grade
The CSSC from the Sharks has been growing thanks to the Sharks actually supporting them. Not only do they offer CSSC Membership packages, but for the finals games they ensured the CSSC were set aside tickets in the front portion of the Bays. The game against Manly had 200 set aside for the CSSC which was gone in the first day.

The more that clubs push these supporter groups (CSSC, Burrow, etc.) the better the atmosphere will become. It is another thing that the AFL had pushed previously that League fell behind at. Every home and away game in the AFL you will see the core supporter groups behind the goals.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Agreed on the lions. I went to the game to accompany my dad who loves an event plus we are british. We sat right beside the tunnel (for free haha) so it was 95% wallabies fans, they were so quiet the whole game, definitely a posh/private school old boys feel to that area. I had a similar experience at the one and only afl game i have been to at the gabba about 4 years ago. Very sterile, mainly expats. Of the 32k that where there i doubt if 10k where actual lions fans.

The best atmosphere i have been involved in were the 2007 and 2009 super league grand finals; leeds fans definitely produce the best atmosphere in rugby league.

My experiences at NRL games is that the one team town grounds like newcastle, brisbane, and gold coast produce little to no atmosphere. Especially suncorp where i have been 5 times, ffs barely half the crowd stands up to cheer as the team comes out and i find the same happens at newcastle. I find the atmosphere at all sydney club games is great, every club has a hardcore section of fans and imo the crowd makes more noise in general.

I am biased but i find Roosters fans generate the best atmosphere

Danish

Referee
:lol: The Burrow

Surely you jest? Nearly every side has a group of supporters who chant and sing all game, you need to get to more away games.

From my experiences, Panthers are the most creative with their chants and the little Sharkies group they've got going on are the most persistent over the 80 mintues.

Yep Sharks and Panthers usually the best, largely due to their use of trumpets :D

The Burrow is a myth. ANZ literally installs mics above them and plays it over the PA to make them sound like they are actually loud :lol:

Roosters fans aren't much better, mind. The Chookpen starts the game off with a lot of promise with the big "ARE YOU READY" chant that they do, but then unless we are actually playing well they tend to fade into the background (as do most supporter groups in league)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts