What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Doc

Coach
70,000 and 40,000 next week

:lol:
Lol I predicted between 50 and 60k for round 26 and everyone said I was delusional.

This is a home grand final qualifier. 45k+ Souths fans, 15k+ Manly fans. Plus the neutrals. 70 thousand it will be.

How many Souths fans? Man...if there were 45k Souths fans there, then a good 10-12,000 came dressed in maroon and chanted "Manly, Manly" all night! :lol:

I stand by my 70k and 40k predictions.

:lol:

We're responsible for 75% of sales. We do not deserve a word of criticism. People having a go at us without saying anything about Manly are not even trying to look unbiased.

45k. Say conservatively that only 5,000 ANZ members turned up. Say conservatively only 3000 neutrals turned up. That means a crowd of 37k to support the teams.

75% of that is 27,750 :lol:
Pride of the league. Wow your fans really got behind your team.

Really puts the 40k saints drew vs Melbourne, and the 44k eels drew vs cowboys to shame. I think even the roosters drew over 40k vs cowboys. I guarrantee storm or cowboys fans didn't buy 25% of those tickets.

L :lol: L@souffs

belmore eel

Juniors
hindy's farewell in r26 last year got 45.6k, i know wasnt a final but the eels were spooners and there were less than 5k dragons fans on a sunday night. Tonights crowd was very disapointing

supercharger

Juniors
I think the difference is that Australian sport is just more entertaining. NRL and AFL (i guess, i dont watch it much) are sports that demand you to watch it. In rugby League the exciting moment can happen any time, anywhere on the field, so the cheers will be linked directly to what is happening on the field.

But watching soccer (say what every you want about the quality) you know that for the exciting moments to happen, the ball has to be up one end, so you dont even have to watch for 70% of the game.

Ok uh-uh. The whole soccer is so boring that the fans need to sing/chant/dance to make things interesting argument does not hold up when you consider that those same actions migrate seamlessly into Hockey arenas in Europe.

Brutus

Referee
I cannot believe that DUI Bec would write an article claiming Ch 9 are fuming at the low crowds on the Tele for the semis because it looks bad on TV.

9 is one of the main causes for the low crowds. What a horrible article.

Actually, I can believe she could write such shit.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I cannot believe that DUI Bec would write an article claiming Ch 9 are fuming at the low crowds on the Tele for the semis because it looks bad on TV.

9 is one of the main causes for the low crowds. What a horrible article.

Actually, I can believe she could write such shit.

The most suitable response to her is blah blah blah and a round house kick to the head. I suppose she praised the mighty afl and its faultless season to

grouch

First Grade
Can't blame the Manly bandwagonners for not getting to ANZ on a friday night. When you think how hard it is to get there from the Peninsula only the die-hards will venture out. Getting to the football is just too hard in Sydney for a big swath of the population. People on here like to dispute that, but people on here are the die-hards, not the casual fan you want to attract to more games. The proof is in the pudding.

Some truth in this. The previous big crowds for week 3 (2009, 2010) were for Saturday night games, right?

Raiderdave

First Grade
I've come to the conclusion there just are not as many fans supporting NRL clubs as we would like to think there are.

meh :roll:

there'd of been 700K plus Sydneysiders watching that game on the Box last night & 45K at the ground

comparable to numbers watching combined the fumbles & bumbles finals in Melbourne ,the diff being they don't have to endure Sydneys murderous traffic & its difficult geography.

the NRL can claim to have as many supporters as the AFL simply because it has 2.5 times more people in its regional areas then the AFL regional areas.
Its been proven over & over with the accumulative TV ratings that RL is every bit as popular a sport in Australia as Vicky Kicky ... maybe a tad more so ;-)

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
I was offered free tickets to last nights game as I'm sure many others were. The crowd could have been much worse.

yobbo84

Coach
50k for Souths-Manly is a pipe-dream. Last year there were 70k at the Souths v Bulldogs match, and that was pretty much 50-50. So given the same number of Souths supporters turn up (35k), plus somwhere between 5k and 10k Manly supporters you're looking around 40-45k IMO.

Smart bloke, that one.

ouwet

Bench
2009 was 53% eels fans
2012 was 51% souths
- according to ticket sale reports at the time

Those numbers don't include all the people who buy NRL section tickets + ANZ members... As it's the Bulldogs home ground, you'd think majority of members of ANZ would be aligned to the Dogs (Against Parramatta). Last year everyone thought there were more Bulldog supporters... In 2009 it was 50/50, however obviously by the end of that game it felt like all Parramatta because you won and most of us left.

Anyways IMO Bulldogs, Parramatta & St George (In 2010 I was at that game and I hate ST George more then any club but it was 65/35 to them against Wests) need to be playing in the Prelim. to get those massive crowds!

the dude

Juniors
Dogs vs Eels and Souths vs Roosters I think would pull the biggest crowds of any combination if they were the prelims.

Status
Not open for further replies.