What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

lockyno1

Post Whore
AFL

13,004 at the 100,000 seat MCG.. ahh I love it

The worst crowd of the round..lets be realistic you can go to a match where the two teams could not care less who wins (i.e the match you highlighted) or go to the Twilight match between the previously unbeaten St Kilda and Essendon..you are kidding if you would choose the first option. 13K for that match is a damn good figure.

MsStorm

Bench
The worst crowd of the round..lets be realistic you can go to a match where the two teams could not care less who wins (i.e the match you highlighted) or go to the Twilight match between the previously unbeaten St Kilda and Essendon..you are kidding if you would choose the first option. 13K for that match is a damn good figure.

No way there was 13k at that game. A friend of mine went to the game, at the very last minute as the weather started to improve and because she follows Melb. and rarely misses a game, I take her word as gospel...said below 10k.

Anyway I don't blame some of their supporters for not turning up, the weather is Melbourne was dreadful, especially overnight and morning. Didn't clear up until lunchtime.

AND also was told that Melb. were tanking...now that's another pathetic story.

lockyno1

Post Whore
No way there was 13k at that game. A friend of mine went to the game, at the very last minute as the weather started to improve and because she follows Melb. and rarely misses a game, I take her word as gospel...said below 10k.

Anyway I don't blame some of their supporters for not turning up, the weather is Melbourne was dreadful, especially overnight and morning. Didn't clear up until lunchtime.

It lookes a bit over 10K for mine, would not surprise me if there were 13K. As for Melbourne tanking..well they must not have tried hard enough, they won. They still will get the Priority pick anyway as they play 2 teams they won't beat in the last rounds, tanking or not.

With the wind and rain yesterday the majority of people there would have been undercover. Also most Melbourne supporters sit in the MCC Members and in the Olympic Stand next to the MCC Members which are on the same side as the camera.

Fraser

25,305 @ Lang Park.

Poor.

:lol:

I thought the super dooper bronx drew 40k every time they played and shat on sydney crowds?

Gotta love the 'Bronco' fan. Two weeks ago they were Titans supporters. Maybe some still are, but all the 'Bronco' fans are back now they are in the top eight.

News limited Bronco scum.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Brisbane finally learn that crowd numbers depend on form.

Ironically they were crying foul earlier in the year that they prefer Sunday games to Friday ones in terms of crowds, but their Friday figures are the stronger ones...

MsStorm

Bench
With the wind and rain yesterday the majority of people there would have been undercover. Also most Melbourne supporters sit in the MCC Members and in the Olympic Stand next to the MCC Members which are on the same side as the camera.

She's an afl member and I think thats opposite the MCC members, but no matter, she very very disappointed at the lack of support for her team, even if the weather was poor. I know they have quite a big membership base, not even half turned up.

Still a very poor turnout for an afl crowd.

parano1a

Juniors
She's an afl member and I think thats opposite the MCC members, but no matter, she very very disappointed at the lack of support for her team, even if the weather was poor. I know they have quite a big membership base, not even half turned up.

Still a very poor turnout for an afl crowd.

13k is a poor crowd, but for the AFL it's the exception rather than the rule. Richmond and Collingwood got 63,000 at the MCG the day before, when's the last time an NRL game got anywhere near that?

MsStorm

Bench
13k is a poor crowd, but for the AFL it's the exception rather than the rule. Richmond and Collingwood got 63,000 at the MCG the day before, when's the last time an NRL game got anywhere near that?

We all know afl gets good crowds...so rest in peace and stop trolling please:)

Timmah

Staff member
Even if it's the "exception not the norm" for the AFL, it's appearing to be a systemic problem for the Demons this year. Their average might be high from some season openers but their crowds in more recent weeks have been absolutely terrible, including one occasion where IIRC the Storm game across the other side of Swan St actually beat it.

Brutus

Referee

The AFL 'owns' and controls Melbourne.

RL might be the most popular code in Sydney, but it owns nothing in the city, especially the media which have a field day with the code.

It has also shared a supporter base with another rugby code for many years now.

Timmah

Staff member
Counting the double header in R19 as two matches, the figures this season are something like:

169 games
2,644,144 fans
15,646 per game.

Three rounds left, we need 355,856 (average 118,619 per week) to crack the 3,000,000 mark again.

Definitely doable, especially with the two big ones this Friday, a rejuvenated Knights on Saturday, GF re-match on Sunday and the Dogs-Rooters derby on Monday which normally gets about 20k.

Then Round 25 Friday again is awesome - Eels/Panthers derby and Cowboys/Broncos derby - Rabbits v Saints should get a good crowd on Saturday, as should Titans/WT, then big Sunday with Manly & Sharks for the Steve Rogers trophy, and Hazem's big farewell at ANZ.

Round 26 should get us across the line - two prospective sell-outs at Kogarah (Saints/Eels) and SFS (Tigers/Dogs), a few fizzers elsewhere but big crowds should turn up for Manly/Titans and Knights/Panthers one would hope.

What we're chasing - last season:
192 games
2,993,469 fans
15,591 per game.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Worrying thing is crowds have been static for a number of years with very little difference. Bringing the Titans in has helped the total and weekly avg, but generally there isn't much growth happening.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The AFL 'owns' and controls Melbourne.

RL might be the most popular code in Sydney, but it owns nothing in the city, especially the media which have a field day with the code.

I know it sounds obvious, but like you say the AFL owns the media basically. Unfortunately the problem in our game is that the media owns the NRL.

Counting the double header in R19 as two matches, the figures this season are something like:

169 games
2,644,144 fans
15,646 per game.

Three rounds left, we need 355,856 (average 118,619 per week) to crack the 3,000,000 mark again.

Definitely doable, especially with the two big ones this Friday, a rejuvenated Knights on Saturday, GF re-match on Sunday and the Dogs-Rooters derby on Monday which normally gets about 20k.

Then Round 25 Friday again is awesome - Eels/Panthers derby and Cowboys/Broncos derby - Rabbits v Saints should get a good crowd on Saturday, as should Titans/WT, then big Sunday with Manly & Sharks for the Steve Rogers trophy, and Hazem's big farewell at ANZ.

Round 26 should get us across the line - two prospective sell-outs at Kogarah (Saints/Eels) and SFS (Tigers/Dogs), a few fizzers elsewhere but big crowds should turn up for Manly/Titans and Knights/Panthers one would hope.

What we're chasing - last season:
192 games
2,993,469 fans
15,591 per game.

Do you have any stats from this time last year?

I wanted to compare them to see how much better we are actually doing.

Cheers mate.

Timmah

Staff member
After 23 rounds in 2008:
168 games
2,637,129 fans
15,697 per game.

Red Bear

Referee
Its a bit dissapointing that after years of improvement up until 2005 we have stagnated a bit since then, although there seems to be more 20 000+ sydney crowds this season than there has been for a while. The introduction of monday night football has definately dragged the average down, along with the removal of a sunday game (instead of say the 5:30 saturday game, a traditional low-drawer). Next week
St George Illa vs Brisbane - 18k
Wests Tigers vs Parra - 25k
Newcaslte vs Nth Qld - 18k (what is capacity at the moment?)
Penrith vs Souths - 14k
Tits vs Cronulla - 14k
NZ vs Canberra - 10k
Melbourne vs Manly - 14k
Bulldogs vs Sydney - 20k(very optimistic but Dogs fans should get out for this one and even Easts fans will enjoy this rivalry you would think)

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Its a bit dissapointing that after years of improvement up until 2005 we have stagnated a bit since then, although there seems to be more 20 000+ sydney crowds this season than there has been for a while. The introduction of monday night football has definately dragged the average down, along with the removal of a sunday game (instead of say the 5:30 saturday game, a traditional low-drawer). Next week
St George Illa vs Brisbane - 18k
Wests Tigers vs Parra - 25k
Newcaslte vs Nth Qld - 18k (what is capacity at the moment?)
Penrith vs Souths - 14k
Tits vs Cronulla - 14k
NZ vs Canberra - 10k
Melbourne vs Manly - 14k
Bulldogs vs Sydney - 20k(very optimistic but Dogs fans should get out for this one and even Easts fans will enjoy this rivalry you would think)

The Newcastle Herald said a few months that it is 22k but the home games v Parra and Dogs have looked pretty close to capacity with 18k crowds.

After 23 rounds in 2008:
168 games
2,637,129 fans
15,697 per game.

Thanks Timmah :)

Latest posts