What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Brutus

Referee
The NZ fans have been great this year.

I'm surprised they put up with the Warriors for as long as they did.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Doesn't look any smaller than previous crowds IMO, all of which have been inflated ;-)

Chook Norris

First Grade
When will Skilled drop their ticket prices? imo crowds will be going down again next year

still doing heaps better than the new a-league side i guess..

Billythekid

First Grade
what a shame that the fans have deserted them, was always going to draw a low crowd though

Not just are the warriors sh*te (again!) but half the time it doesn't look like they are giving 100%.

Coupled with the fact they have consistently poor weather, absolutely no away fans i think their crowds have help up alright.

I do agree about skilled. Now is when they need to drop their prices. There are 2 new teams coming in who are desperately looking for fans. We should lower our prices and encourage people to come to league. Lets put pressure on some other codes for once.

Timmah

Staff member
Dragons v Broncos @ WIN: 17,044
Tigers v Eels @ SFS: 34,272
Knights v Cowboys @ EAS: 15,408
Panthers v Rabbitohs @ CUA: 14,214
Warriors v Raiders @ Mt Smart: 8,212
Titans v Sharks @ Skilled Park: 14,714
Storm v Sea Eagles @ Olympic: 12,601

Total: 116,465 (7 games)
Average: 16,638

Still one game in hand. Approximating a crowd of 15k tomorrow night, we only need 112,196 for each of the final two weeks to crack 3 million :D

Billythekid

First Grade
That's a poor crowd from the titans IMO. They are in good form and have a great stadium. I know Sydney gets bagged a lot but i guess i expected alot more from the titans.

I know people will point to the storm and call me a hypocrite and i guess thats fair enough. However at least we have a brand new stadium on the way which will look to increase things. Not to mention we are in an expansion area with little if any history of RL rather than a RL stronghold. So our prospects for growth i think are higher.

Timmah

Staff member
Sydney average this weekend: 24k
Non-Sydney average this weekend: 14k.

ByRd

First Grade
Where are all the Sydney haters??? The GC Titans are running 3rd and have been in that top 3 for pretty much the whole season yet they can only get a crowd of 14k on a good sunny day (no excuses, if it was sydney people would be going off).

ByRd

First Grade
I know we have a game tomorrow but lets hope for a nice sunny say next sunday and hopefully the Dogs game can crack the 35k and maybe even push 40k. Our home record is about 36k (against roosters last year) and if we can pass that it would be awesome.

Where are all the Sydney haters??? The GC Titans are running 3rd and have been in that top 3 for pretty much the whole season yet they can only get a crowd of 14k on a good sunny day (no excuses, if it was sydney people would be going off).

No Monster trucks?

Eelectrica

Referee
I don't know what was up with the Titans crowd today.
I'm a Titans season ticket holder and won tickets to todays game and gave them to my sister and her 2 kids.

I guess the Sharks position on the ladder didn't help much. I think it was pretty much taken for granted the Titans were going to win.

Hopefully the managers of Skilled park take note and quit taking large crowds for granted and drop ticket prices to a more acceptable level.

Next week should be a good turnout with the Tigers coming to town though.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Silly comment to make....these team don't get travelling support as do the Sydney teams.

Exactly, when two Sydney teams are playing each other they should be getting a min 20,000 no probs, that is only 15,000 home fans and 5,000 "away" fans.

As opposed to one-town teams who - despite having an entire market and whole cities all to themselves - still can't get an average of 20,000, even when they have a successful team (Brisbane the exception, but with a population of 2 million in a League stronghold that's hardly difficult for them).

Granted, I think Olympic Park is holding the Storm's potential back and their crowds should improve with the new stadium.

Last edited:

parano1a

Juniors
Granted, I think Olympic Park is holding the Storm's potential back and their crowds should improve with the new stadium.

Yes, although the NRL has its part to play in scheduling. They should not put the Storm in direct competition with AFL blockbusters (There were 54,000 at Collingwood v Sydney today - at least 3,000 of this crowd would've been at the NRL if it was on at a different time).

The promotion of the code down here is as woeful as ever - Nine had the opportunity to show this game live at 3pm for once, but what did they air? A REPEAT of Farmer Wants a Wife, with the NRL game in its usual 12.00am timeslot. Sure the Storm v Manly game would've got killed by the AFL game in the ratings, but it could have done better than a rerun of the previous week's Farmer Wants a Wife.

MsStorm

Bench
Yes, although the NRL has its part to play in scheduling. They should not put the Storm in direct competition with AFL blockbusters (There were 54,000 at Collingwood v Sydney today - at least 3,000 of this crowd would've been at the NRL if it was on at a different time).

The promotion of the code down here is as woeful as ever - Nine had the opportunity to show this game live at 3pm for once, but what did they air? A REPEAT of Farmer Wants a Wife, with the NRL game in its usual 12.00am timeslot. Sure the Storm v Manly game would've got killed by the AFL game in the ratings, but it could have done better than a rerun of the previous week's Farmer Wants a Wife.

The NRL don't give a sh*t tbh about scheduling of Storm games, neither do Channel Nein.
Todays crowd was better than I expected, especially with Collingwood playing at the MCG and another afl game at little earlier at Etihad.

Have a long walk back to the car, and we always get asked by people if Storm won. Tonight in particular 4 different lots of Collingwood supporters spoke to us and said they would have been at the Storm game if Collingwood weren't playing.

The afl look after their teams playing in rl strongholds...as opposed to the nrl who don't give a ratss.

VictoryFC

Bench

What evidence do you have that 5% of people who went to an AFL game would have gone to the Storm game? What rubbish.

I don't know what was up with the Titans crowd today.
I'm a Titans season ticket holder and won tickets to todays game and gave them to my sister and her 2 kids.

I guess the Sharks position on the ladder didn't help much. I think it was pretty much taken for granted the Titans were going to win.

Hopefully the managers of Skilled park take note and quit taking large crowds for granted and drop ticket prices to a more acceptable level.

Next week should be a good turnout with the Tigers coming to town though.

i reckon the hot weather may have played a factor. nice beach weather