What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Loudstrat

Coach
8k at Parra? No excuses from me for only equalling what the entire city of Adelaide, or Parkes for that matter, can provide for an NRL match.

There WILL be a bigger crowd at Brooky next week, and if our form holds, we'll top 16k against the Bunnies.

Billythekid

First Grade
8k at Parra? No excuses from me for only equalling what the entire city of Adelaide, or Parkes for that matter, can provide for an NRL match.

There WILL be a bigger crowd at Brooky next week, and if our form holds, we'll top 16k against the Bunnies.

There will probably be a decent crowd against the bunnies. We already know Parra can draw a good crowd when it's bumped up by away support.

Parra should be looking at ways of increasing it's crowds besides relying on other teams. Hopefully with Dennis on the way out that should start happening.

Evenflow

Bench
Almost 20k on the Gold Coast on a Saturday arvo.

Nice work.

Sat arvo footy - bring it back.

Nice crowd on the GC. Just imagine how many more they'd get every game if they lowered their ridiculously high prices that they charge.

LOL @ you even attempting to compare a game in an AFL city with no local team competing and a game in the games heartland that had a Sydney side. We aren't talking about next week or the week after, we're talking about last night and the FACT is that the crowd was nothing short of pathetic. Even Parra supporters with half a brain would know that.

As for the Brookevale crowd, in the big scheme of things in that it was the GF replay and against a team they've built up a good rivalry with that crowd was even worse than Parra's. The ironic thing is that if the same game was played in Melbourne they would have got at least a couple thousand more to it.

You're always quick to bag the Mexicans crowds but they would've put both those attendances to shame last night. You also carry on about how big the crowds will be against Manly and the Rabbits the next 2 games but of course they will be (or should be) given they're 2 Sydney sides going at it. I'm sure the likes of Canberra, New Zealand, Melbourne etc would have much bigger crowds averages as well if they had the luxury of playing against 8 other local sides a year. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work that out which is lucky for you because clearly you aint, you made that more than clear when you tried to compare a game in Adelaide to a game in the heartland :lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
And if Sydney sides only played in their home region once per fortnight you'd condense their crowds into 13 games instead of 20.

The game in the AFL city is one you lot were sprouting about as a success. If 8k is good, 8k is good. As for the Mexicans' crowd - unlike Parra they havent had 2 home games with over 19k this year, have they?

Morons like you would love to decimate Sydney so you could have 8k crowds in Adelaide - stop making excuses that it isn't League heartland. It's about revinue - and 8k, where ever it is played - makes the same revinue. Beats me how you can say one is good and the other poor.

flamin

Juniors
And if Sydney sides only played in their home region once per fortnight you'd condense their crowds into 13 games instead of 20.

The game in the AFL city is one you lot were sprouting about as a success. If 8k is good, 8k is good. As for the Mexicans' crowd - unlike Parra they havent had 2 home games with over 19k this year, have they?

Morons like you would love to decimate Sydney so you could have 8k crowds in Adelaide - stop making excuses that it isn't League heartland. It's about revinue - and 8k, where ever it is played - makes the same revinue. Beats me how you can say one is good and the other poor.

No it's about context. If Brisbane got 8k, even 18k we wouldn't know what to think. If a Sydney club got 35k on the weekend we'd be applauding.

8k is not always worth the same amount either. 8k in Sydney is worth more than getting 8k in Parkes, because of flow on effects for having the game played in a market with wealthier consumers ie merchandise sales, sponsors, advertising revenue, etc. Even the perception of being an event in Sydney vs an event in a small town means the game is worth more to sponsors and advertisers. Likewise many on this forum will argue that part of the reason AFL dominate the NRL in sponsorship and tv rights despite not dominating in the actual tv ratings is because the perception it has created as being a national code.
Of course Sydney is worth more than any other city in the country, but weighing up the value of having a team in city X which gets 12k verses having another Sydney team which gets 12k is more complicated. e.g. Melbourne is worth a lot to the NRL - definitely more than a small Sydney club - because it means the NRL has a presence in a city of 3 million - even if its not getting amazing crowds or tv ratings - much like the Swans and Lions for AFL - and this is not even talking about the potential for growth such one city clubs in comparison to their 'suburban' counterparts. Thus a lot of information and investigation would be needed to determine which crowd is worth more, even if they are same.

Sydney will not be 'decimated' and doesn't need to be for the game to expand. Sydney does, though, need to consolidate its support and clubs need to translate their latent support bases into income - otherwise the past, traditions, and tribalism they have become a deadweight to the game, rather than something to be protected and esteemed.

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench

And who were those 2 games against or more so where did the opposition come from? Ahh that's right Sydney.....funny about that. Not to let the truth get in the way of a good story but you've only had the 1 home game over 19k, the other one against the dogs was closer to 18k. So your home average against 2 Sydney sides is 18,625 and your home average against 2 non Sydney sides when you dont have opposition support to bump up your figures is 9,610. Hrrrm you do the maths.

As for the Mexicans you're right, they havent had 2 home games over 19k this year (neither have Parra) but they also don't have the luxury of playing in the games heartland, against 8 other Sydney sides to bump up their figures and also not to mention over 60 years in the comp to build the kind of fan base Parra have had the chance to. But i agree that if the Mexicans aren't averaging the lofty numbers that Parra are in 60 odd years time then we'll kick their sorry arses out the comp! :lol:

Wrong dickhead, i don't want ANY Sydney team to be be culled or relocated, i just want the ones that aren't pulling their weight crowd wise to lift their game. Is that too much to ask? Do you not want more people through the gates as well? I dont need to make excuses that it's not in league heartland mate, you're the one that should be given that they outdrew your crowd last night and they in Adelaide didn't have the benefit of a local team playing! There's just no defending that no matter how much you try to and the more you try the more stupid you look :crazy:

Loudstrat

Coach
So all the Rams supporters stayed away from the Sharks/Cowpats game because the Rams were not playing? :lol: That's classic!

BTW, Parra have STILL attracted 5000 more people through the home turnstiles than your mob. :lol:

keeney

First Grade
I think 18 would be pretty close to capacity, maybe 19 at the most. Which is a good sign, our suddenly fairweather supporters are coming back due to our lovely lovely football.

MsStorm

Bench
So all the Rams supporters stayed away from the Sharks/Cowpats game because the Rams were not playing? :lol: That's classic!

I would say that a lot of Rams supporters would be still pretty pissed off with having their team booted from the nrl. Accordingly, the 8,000 that came to that game (with very little advertising or support from the nrl) was an excellent crowd.

BTW, Parra have STILL attracted 5000 more people through the home turnstiles than your mob. :lol:

You know why, its all been explained by Evenflow.

Mortar

Juniors

How pathetic are you and your so-called supporters.

Parrascum are the bum biscuits of the nrl.

bobmar28

Bench

The crowd of 8,000 for the Eels game on Friday was an extremely poor crowd in a city of 4.5 million.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The crowd on the hill at Wollongong is building nicely. However the Northern Stand is pretty empty at the moment.

Loudstrat

Coach
You know why, its all been explained by Evenflow.
He explained nothing. Just went on some inane rant. Flamin at least offered an argument - based on merchandise sales. Evenflow offered nothing

The crowd of 8,000 for the Eels game on Friday was an extremely poor crowd in a city of 4.5 million.
:lol: Yep - the only game played in Sydney for 2 weeks. :lol:

25,622 @ ANZ Stadium.

The crowd appeared 75-80% Dogs fans.

I was disappointed that there weren't more Tigers supporters there, however, with Benji out, Gallant as goalkicker and John Morris taking the general kicks, we should be grateful that any turned up at all.