What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Chook Norris

First Grade
dead set... probably the smallest crowd i've ever seen at Parra...

the RLWC08 matches there had heaps more than that

I expected a low crowd at Parra but a grand final replay at Brookvale on a Friday night with good weather should get more. Both looked crap on tv. Could be a bad weekend for crowds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the Skilled Park crowd tomorrow and the ANZ crowd Sunday should keep us respectable but I'm very worried about Cronulla/Sydney, Raiders/Panthers and even Newcastle/Brisbane.

I'll head to EAS tomorrow night and ANZ Sunday. Should be good games.

Apey

Staff member
There is a bunch of reasons why Newcastle fans aren't showing up.

I really can't be bothered going into them but saying the Western Stand reasoning is childish is laughable in itself. I just think a lot of these contributing factors combined have caused a bit of interest loss in actually attending the games. People are creatures of habit and they like to sit in their own seats, why do you assume they need to grow up because they don't enjoy being shafted from their comfort zone? The sort of guys that aren't turning up because of this are hardly die-hard Knights fans anyway. Seating is probably important to the non die-hard fans because they want their experience to be enjoyable as they see fit. Not quite sure how that relates to them needing to grow up.

big boppa eel

Juniors
I think the Skilled Park crowd tomorrow and the ANZ crowd Sunday should keep us respectable but I'm very worried about Cronulla/Sydney, Raiders/Panthers and even Newcastle/Brisbane.

I'll head to EAS tomorrow night and ANZ Sunday. Should be good games.
Dont be mate the sun will still rise tomorrow.

beave

Coach
There is a bunch of reasons why Newcastle fans aren't showing up.

I really can't be bothered going into them but saying the Western Stand reasoning is childish is laughable in itself. I just think a lot of these contributing factors combined have caused a bit of interest loss in actually attending the games. People are creatures of habit and they like to sit in their own seats, why do you assume they need to grow up because they don't enjoy being shafted from their comfort zone? The sort of guys that aren't turning up because of this are hardly die-hard Knights fans anyway. Seating is probably important to the non die-hard fans because they want their experience to be enjoyable as they see fit. Not quite sure how that relates to them needing to grow up.

Because they are probably the same f$%king people that complain about the state of the Western stand, and come renno time, whinge and bitch about the fact they have to find alternative seating arrangements. You can't have your cake and eat the $hit as well.

MsStorm

Bench

Those nos. for a friday night game, especially at Brookie, are pretty poor.
But having said that for the Manly/Storm game, I suppose when you can't draw interstate opposition supporters, it does make it that much harder to build up crowd nos.
Parra might have a small excuse, because their team has not been performing.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Those nos. for a friday night game, especially at Brookie, are pretty poor.
But having said that for the Manly/Storm game, I suppose when you can't draw interstate opposition supporters, it does make it that much harder to build up crowd nos.
Parra might have a small excuse, because their team has not been performing.
Finally some sanity, yes it was a poor crowed though with rubbish Parra hve been dishing up and plus playing every Friday night does not help their cause. Once they string a couple of wins together to show they DO give a sh*t people will come and watch them in numbers, especially if they get a few Sunday afternoon. Bring it on tools and tell me all the above are excuses.:)

Bluebags1908

Juniors
That crowd at Brookvale is an utter disgrace. At least Parra has a half-decent excuse, although still disappointing.

As I said in one of my previous posts, the Cowboys NEVER draw a good crowd at Parramatta - even when Parra are doing well. I reckon the Eels should move this game to Gosford.

The crowd may have been 8,104 but at least it was bigger that the corresponding game last year - 7,253 !!

yakstorm

First Grade
Whilst Parramatta's crowd of 8,104 is a 12% increase on the corresponding game last year, its a poor excuse to say the Cowboys game can't attract a crowd.

In 2006, the Eels drew 15,131 for that same fixture, I'm sure both clubs were travelling better when that crowd turned up, but still it shows it is possible to get a crowd to that game. I just think some NRL clubs are lazy when it comes to getting bums on seats, and are almost too willing to just concede and take a bad crowd rather than spend some effort promoting the match.

There was no advertising for this game, no special offers to encourage people to turn up, even their website didn't even have any evident links to sell tickets.

It's just disapointing. I honestly wish some NRL sides would steal some ideas off clubs like the Bulldogs. They offer kids under 12 in free, have family ticket offers from just $40...

Anyway onto the othe games this round, if you look back at some of these fixtures last year, bad crowds should be expected. Raiders v Panthers only got 6,500 last yr, and Sharks v Roosters 10,013, and Dragons v Warriors 11,583, which doesn't bode well for the round in general.

Titans, Knights and Bulldogs will need some strong crowds to help save us.

big boppa eel

Juniors
Whilst Parramatta's crowd of 8,104 is a 12% increase on the corresponding game last year, its a poor excuse to say the Cowboys game can't attract a crowd.

In 2006, the Eels drew 15,131 for that same fixture, I'm sure both clubs were travelling better when that crowd turned up, but still it shows it is possible to get a crowd to that game. I just think some NRL clubs are lazy when it comes to getting bums on seats, and are almost too willing to just concede and take a bad crowd rather than spend some effort promoting the match.

There was no advertising for this game, no special offers to encourage people to turn up, even their website didn't even have any evident links to sell tickets.

It's just disapointing. I honestly wish some NRL sides would steal some ideas off clubs like the Bulldogs. They offer kids under 12 in free, have family ticket offers from just $40...

Anyway onto the othe games this round, if you look back at some of these fixtures last year, bad crowds should be expected. Raiders v Panthers only got 6,500 last yr, and Sharks v Roosters 10,013, and Dragons v Warriors 11,583, which doesn't bode well for the round in general.

Titans, Knights and Bulldogs will need some strong crowds to help save us.
Agreed, I think more clubs should take note of the Bulldogs ticketing, they have really raised the bar.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They have, but as has been said before, ANZ stadium is a cosy place to offer ticket deals. With the club making money irrespective of the attendance, they can offer free and discounted tickets. Most clubs don't have that luxury as their game days operate at a loss.

Brutus

Referee
Almost 20k on the Gold Coast on a Saturday arvo.

Nice work.

Sat arvo footy - bring it back.