What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I was there today, and for starters it only holds 17K, and there were a few gaps on the corners of the grandstands, and gaps on both hills, so i cant see 18-19k, ive been there when there was 17k and it was packed, it wasnt like that today, But still good to see a big crowd out there, and good to see the parra fans come out as well.
Only holds 17k? :lol: never mind the 18,746 that turned up to see the corresponding game from today back in 2007.

MsStorm

Bench
I have been to almost every game at Penrith since 1995 and i can tell you there was alot more than 16,800 there. Crowd was very close to 20K IMO.

Looked awesome on telly....but it definitely helps if its a nice sunny day to draw people to a game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice sunny day and around 4-5,000 Parra fans helped massively. Good to see a full ground for a change though.

Brutus

Referee
The ground could fit another 3-4k in easy just going off what I saw on the tele yesterday.

We need these derbies to fully pack these suburban grounds on fine days. Penrith are going well enough to ensure that ground was full yesterday.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Because not everyone is Brisbane are Broncos fans and don't want to be. Otherwise we would be getting 50k every week. Broncos just manged to get 30k against the Warriors and half the crowd were wearing black. Would you rather have one team average 35k or two teams average 30k?

People will claim they Broncos fans but how many games do they go to a season? We are a league city, to think the size of it can only hold 1 team is ridiculous. We had 10 BRL teams in 1987. 1 more team playing at Lang Park = 12 more games at the best ground in the world = 2 more more between Broncs and new team. More rivalry, kill off the Reds and Lions.
The Broncos own Brisbane. Any new team should come from Ipswich, Sunshine coast or CQ.

bobmar28

Bench
How many of your 2nd generation (or people born in this country) friends live in the inner city of Sydney?

The city and it's surrounding suburbs are full of migrants and good luck to them, if I moved from a city like Tokyo and could afford to be in the city I sure would be.

The demographics of Sydney are not what they once were, and until they allocate most games for day footy, crowds will always struggle.

Traffic alone in Sydney is enough to put most people off, and this is where ANZ is a better positioned to take advantage of this, but the stadium itself doesn't suit footy all that well.

If the SFS was built further west you would see improved crowds.[/QUOTE]
Should have been Liverpool, right on the M5 M7.

ouwet

Bench
On the good news... The double header hosted by the Bulldogs & Broncos is heading towards a sell out (Serious problems if it doesn't sell out)...

Gold Alloc. Exhausted
Maroon Single seats only
Blue Single seats only
Blue Unlicensed Single seats only
White Available
White Unlicensed Single seats only
Rabbitohs Away Bay Single seats only
Bulldogs Support Bay Single seats only

t-ba

Post Whore
Have you been to Brisbane or Ipswich before?
you don't have to have been to Brisbane toknow a side based in ippy makes sense. Play out of Lang, base it out west.

Cqld is dumb though. Manly has a larger catchment!

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is no point putting teams anywhere that don't have a realistic chance of getting 20,000 through the gate every week in years to come. If you are going to expand the league it should be to strngthen it, not have teams with the same probs as current ones ie poor grounds, small catchments and low crowds.

t-ba

Post Whore
people said the same thing about the cowboys now look at them.

Townsville's three times as large as Rocky, draws substantial support from a city twice as large as Rocky 400km away and even then spent a decade struggling.

It's a terrible idea. Darwin is more sustainable.

beave

Coach
CQ is a pipe dream. Townsville works up here because it is central to Mackay, Bowen, Ayr, Cairns, Ingham, and Innisfail and to a lesser extent Rocky itself and Mt Isa. The club really relies on those other areas to be able to draw the bigger crowds of 20k plus. Townsville is not big enough solely to be able to support the club crowd wise and financially (sponsors) so IMO having a CQ would cut into the cowboys bottom line and if CQ did come into existence, I think both NQ and CQ would struggle to be competitive. There are far more deserved areas that need a team before CQ, Perth being one of them.

Fraser

you don't have to have been to Brisbane toknow a side based in ippy makes sense. Play out of Lang, base it out west.

Cqld is dumb though. Manly has a larger catchment!

Ipswich is where Brisbane's garbage trucks dump their garbage. Massive hole.

babyg

Juniors
Seriously a few Sydney teams should organise to play their home games against the Broncos and Titans in a double header 2 or 3 times a year. You'd be looking at a 20k+ average each time. The sums don't add up for Brisbane to use a home game.

t-ba

Post Whore
Ipswich is where Brisbane's garbage trucks dump their garbage. Massive hole.

A massive hole with one of the fastest growing business districts in the state, the fastest growing area in the state and just a short express train ride on the same line from Lang Park. Capable of drawing support from the Western Suburbs and the Darling Downs. A second Brisbane side with a unique identity. It's ticking all the boxes.

How much time have you spent out there exactly I wonder?

Chook Norris

First Grade
Crowd: 15,510 @ Brookie

exeeded all our expectations :)

-----

Crowds for round 17

Bris vs Warr @ Suncorp: 32456
Roost vs Drag @ Jubilee: 12472

Souths vs Rabbits @ ANZ: 14856
Storm vs Knights @ Olympic: 9041
Cowboys vs Sharks @ Dairy: 17283

Raders vs Titans @ Bruce: 9800
Eels vs Panthers @ CUA: 16845

Eagles vs Dogs @ Brookie: 15,510

Average this round: 16,033

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
Crowd sounded f**king awesome.

Would have been shut the gates on any other day.

Latest posts