What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Brycey

Juniors
Keep sticking your head in the sand Timmah. All clubs across the NRL should be able to get 15k minimum to each game, its not a big ask and when Sydney teams are not able to do it on a week to week basis questions have got to be asked.

Hide behind your 'facts' all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Sydney teams are getting left behind and all it does is give the game a poor image and holds back other areas from getting in that would contribute more to the game.

Mortar

Juniors
The fact is that alot these clubs in sydney have had 100 years to build up their supporter base and yet the crowds turning up for games are nothing short of pathetic!

Maybe games should not be shown live on tv in the home city and only be shown live in the regional areas, that may get more people to all games.

STG-MACCA

Bench
100 years to build supporter bases yes, but how many thousands move out of Sydney each week?

Interestingly, the people in this thread that are giving it to Sydney, where did you start out?

Each year there is 50,000 migrants moving into Sydney - that is fact.

Brycey

Juniors
STG MACCA - its not like people are expecting 30k plus crowds like the Broncos in a one town team. Just some sort of respectability with crowds and Sydney crowds arent even doing that. At no stage should a crowd even get near under 10k yet we see it time and time again.

Too many teams in Sydney, some need to shift out and of the remainder boundaries need to be reset to consolidate fan bases and plan for the long term building of super-Sydney clubs.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There's no proof such a model would be successful. The status quo is clearly manageable. If teams are to die then they will. Forcing it will only create mass negativity amongst supporter ranks, and a lethargy for attending the game that is worse than current.

Fraser

Unfortunately I think a 2nd Brisbane team may have left their run too late. Its been a long time since the BRL/Broncos saga - this generation are oblivious to it and the Broncos are just too powerful and too in your face in Brisbane for another team to reach their success; which lets face it would be the only reason in giving Brisbane a second team. We don't need another mediocre team when we have about 6-7 playing down south.

bullsh*t. That's a load of sh*t and you know it. If the Broncos don't want 1-2 more teams in Brisbane then they can f**k off and start another rebel comp and they can start playing themselves.

Fraser

STG MACCA - its not like people are expecting 30k plus crowds like the Broncos in a one town team. Just some sort of respectability with crowds and Sydney crowds arent even doing that. At no stage should a crowd even get near under 10k yet we see it time and time again.

Too many teams in Sydney, some need to shift out and of the remainder boundaries need to be reset to consolidate fan bases and plan for the long term building of super-Sydney clubs.

Don't take every word of the courier mail for gospel - I thought being from NSW you wouldn't believe the garbage they write every week.

Karl de Kroo's NRL entry criteria for Central Coast: It's between Bears and Sharks, but Central Coast Sharks has a better fit so give it to them :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
14,856 @ ANZ
17,382 @ DFS
9,041 @ Olympic

By the logic used by some in this thread, Melbourne should merge with.... oh...

:sarcasm:

MsStorm

Bench
14,856 @ ANZ
17,382 @ DFS
9,041 @ Olympic

By the logic used by some in this thread, Melbourne should merge with.... oh...

:sarcasm:

That crowd at the Storm was the worst for the year Tim becos of the atrocious weather conditions....you know the stadium (OP) is absolute garbage with virtually no shelter....take a look see at the afl crowd at the MCG earlier in the day, was pathetic also....playing in a wonderful stadium with great facilties, but against a a team from interstate., but their game wasn't live against the gate like the storms.

DFS is in q'ld. where its at least a lot warmer..dumbcluck:D

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sad thing is Sydney clubs have the added advantage of "away" fans attending as well. Something the likes of Melbourne and NQ don't. I have no idea what the answer is but if the NRL is to move forward something has to change. crowds of less than 15,000 should not be tolerated, wether they are in Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne or Perth. Crowds of less than 10,000 move is into the realms of the A League FFS!

Brycey

Juniors
Don't take every word of the courier mail for gospel - I thought being from NSW you wouldn't believe the garbage they write every week.

Karl de Kroo's NRL entry criteria for Central Coast: It's between Bears and Sharks, but Central Coast Sharks has a better fit so give it to them :lol:
I make it a daily goal of mine not to ever read the CM.;-)

bobmar28

Bench
Does noone understand that while individually the crowds are poor in Sydney, cutting clubs will also cut fans? This assumption that less fans > bigger crowds is rubbish, you're going to alienate thousands of people in Sydney!
Yes, broadcasting images of near empty stadiums is a great way to promote the game.

bobmar28

Bench
:sleeper: What a stupid point to make. Completely different locations.

Oh the old "I'm right, I don't care about what anyone else says" argument :lol:...

People make this grand argument that Sydney has a population of 4.4 million and should be getting full houses to every RL game.

FACT: Sydney has the most migrants per capita, primarily from non-RL nations. People with no interest in RL.

FACT: Sydney, while having a bigger population than other cities, also has a more crowded market and therefore more competition for crowds. What actually opposes AFL in Melbourne? AFL is Melbourne, Sydney's more than just RL.

FACT: Sydney has 8 clubs, Brisbane 1. Of course Brisbane's crowds are going to be bigger. They only get 12 games a year FFS!

bobmar28

Bench
:sleeper: What a stupid point to make. Completely different locations.

Oh the old "I'm right, I don't care about what anyone else says" argument :lol:...

People make this grand argument that Sydney has a population of 4.4 million and should be getting full houses to every RL game.

FACT: Sydney has the most migrants per capita, primarily from non-RL nations. People with no interest in RL.

FACT: Sydney, while having a bigger population than other cities, also has a more crowded market and therefore more competition for crowds. What actually opposes AFL in Melbourne? AFL is Melbourne, Sydney's more than just RL.

FACT: Sydney has 8 clubs, Brisbane 1. Of course Brisbane's crowds are going to be bigger. They only get 12 games a year FFS!
Most migrants live in the western suburbs where league rules. It's in the yuppified inner city/north shore where league is struggling.

bobmar28

Bench
Like any Roosters fan I wouldnt be happy to see my team go under. And yes I would still follow them if they were exiled to the NSW Cup or relocated.

I think with the Roosters either us or Souths have an expiry date in our area. The area is not big enough for both and unless the Roosters were to play where a lot of our fanbase has since shifted to and lives (west Sydney) then unless uncle Nick keeps the cash flow going for us to stay in Bondi we will have to move - I cannot ever see the Roosters dying though too much money and property tied to us.

I can see an eventual move to the CC though and for the good of the game I endorse it.
What about a merger? East Coast Sharks?

Brycey

Juniors
bullsh*t. That's a load of sh*t and you know it. If the Broncos don't want 1-2 more teams in Brisbane then they can f**k off and start another rebel comp and they can start playing themselves.

I'm not saying that the Broncos would intentionally sabotage a new team (as they have done in the past) but they wouldn't play nice.

All I am saying is that most of the Gen-Y in Brisbane are Broncos supporters, its been a while since the BRL/Broncos fiasco and while there is still a large amount of people still with a dirty taste in their mouths the new fans don't care about the past and are all Broncos.

If a new Brisbane team were to come in in the near future it would be like a Newcastle - Mariners situation. If we're going to bring new teams in it should be on the basis that these teams can reach the heights of the Broncos, I think a new Brisbane team has left its run too late with the next-gen fans already making their choice. All you need to do is look at the ratings and attendances plus quiz the next early20 y.o in Brisbane to reach that conclusion.

Logan on face value has a 50-30-20 (Titans-Broncos-Warriors) split. I think the next Qld team should either be the CQ Bid or a Sunshine Coast team.

bobmar28

Bench
I'm not saying that the Broncos would intentionally sabotage a new team (as they have done in the past) but they wouldn't play nice.

All I am saying is that most of the Gen-Y in Brisbane are Broncos supporters, its been a while since the BRL/Broncos fiasco and while there is still a large amount of people still with a dirty taste in their mouths the new fans don't care about the past and are all Broncos.

If a new Brisbane team were to come in in the near future it would be like a Newcastle - Mariners situation. If we're going to bring new teams in it should be on the basis that these teams can reach the heights of the Broncos, I think a new Brisbane team has left its run too late with the next-gen fans already making their choice. All you need to do is look at the ratings and attendances plus quiz the next early20 y.o in Brisbane to reach that conclusion.

Logan on face value has a 50-30-20 (Titans-Broncos-Warriors) split. I think the next Qld team should either be the CQ Bid or a Sunshine Coast team.
Or Ipswich.

ramble_on

Juniors
you sure?

you didnt double that figure?

Actually I did, as it represents home games only, but the figure for the SE Qld teams is also doubled, so the percentages are the same....

Brycey, I do believe Sydney needs less teams, but don't know how it could be done without alienating a huge ammount of fans. Merging teams from neighbouring localities would seem to make sense but then they're where the great rivalries come from. Relocation can only dishearten the locals who have always supported their home team...... don't know how it could be done, just know it needs to somehow.....

Latest posts