What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current State of the NRL

kit66

Bench
Was having this conversation with a bloke just today. He was a former cameraman for channel 10 when Hughes was calling. I told him I wish we had Hughes calling today.
I just want the game called.
No bickering like a married couple.
No failed humour.
No throws or commentary about upcoming programming (f**k Fat Tony!)
No live betting updates.
Call the game FFS!

Sterlo is the only one worth a pinch of piss.

Agree with everything you and pinkmoon are saying especially with the advertising and obnoxious cross promotion ( including the ads in the bottom right corner of the screen than linger for minutes on end ). I miss the old days and the old style commentary. I've taken to turning the volume down on the telly for large chunks of the game or at least muting Gus. Rabs is starting to sound so jaded and over it all ( he must hate Gus so much ), he should have retired a few years back.
I listened to the Wests game on ABC Radio and I can see myself doing that a lot this year - record and watch the game later, fast forward the ads and volume down.

pinkmoon

Juniors
Was having this conversation with a bloke just today. He was a former cameraman for channel 10 when Hughes was calling. I told him I wish we had Hughes calling today.
No failed humour.
No live betting updates.
Call the game FFS!

Interesting you bring Hughes up because he was actually one of the positive examples I was alluding to. I watched an old Warriors game a few weeks ago (Hughes used to call all the Warriors home games) and he was fantastic. He just called the game, kept it simple, and I barely knew he was there; he simply augmented an already entertaining match!

Redvpassion

Juniors
Protest or just two Wooden spoon candidates going at it with a natural lack of interest from the fans- plus it was on telly.
It's a simple equation - win games and the fans will come.
If Dragons win against the Worriers on Sat you can expect a great crowd at Shark Park ( Remondis Stadium - catchy name ) the following week.

Regradless of it being televised or not i would say more of protest rather than 2 teams who where last years battlers. Even if the dragons would lose against the warriors, I would still say that a good turn out would happen. Local derby played at the right venue. Not homebush. As for Gould, reason why he would say that it was a protest is because his twitter account was raging hot by our supporter base telling him that it is a protest against the club for moving games away from home.

Yeah we may have got the same crowd at kogarah, but atmosphere wise would be a million times electrifying than that toilet bowl we were at on Sunday. Thats what makes a home ground advantage a home ground advantage. The board has gone the wrong way about this. You want to move games to bigger venues and generate the dollars they want, then go ahead and do it when the season is in full speed and it's 1 v 2 or 3 v4. That's how you make your dollars. That's my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

GT0007

Juniors
" Its high enough, its long enough ..... ".
GT, how good was he.
God rest his soul.

Yeah true Tru, he was a part of my early love for football. I can remember him even yelling at people get down in front cos he couldn't see lol. I think at some point they called games from the sideline in the old days as well. I was devasted when he retired and listening to football on the radio took a while to get used to again after him. I hate it when other callers now are touted as the best ever as it's a different era and you can't compare much like you can't with footballers. I do enjoy the commentry these days with the humour but its a different genre. One thing I don't like about commentators these days and sometimes its a result of bias but otherwise their lack of understanding of the rules, is that sometimes I feel they are watching a different game especially when it goes to the video ref. Thats when listening to radio is better as you have no clue so escape the frustration lol

GT0007

Juniors
Regradless of it being televised or not i would say more of protest rather than 2 teams who where last years battlers. Even if the dragons would lose against the warriors, I would still say that a good turn out would happen. Local derby played at the right venue. Not homebush. As for Gould, reason why he would say that it was a protest is because his twitter account was raging hot by our supporter base telling him that it is a protest against the club for moving games away from home.

Yeah we may have got the same crowd at kogarah, but atmosphere wise would be a million times electrifying than that toilet bowl we were at on Sunday. Thats what makes a home ground advantage a home ground advantage. The board has gone the wrong way about this. You want to move games to bigger venues and generate the dollars they want, then go ahead and do it when the season is in full speed and it's 1 v 2 or 3 v4. That's how you make your dollars. That's my 2 cents worth.

I've made comments on this topic if you want to check my posts but I agree I don't think it was a protest, partially logistics but mostly I think our supporters are despondant after 2 poor years and more so the trial for knocked the stuffing out of us. The ANZ stadium is too big unless you do a double header

GT0007

Juniors
imo the way Gould said "I think the numbers here today might be a protest from saints fans", I mean it was a 1-liner but it sounded like it was something he knew was a current topic and was always going to mention it... afaik gould still likes traditional homegrounds.

The key is the word "Protest"... the Dragon Army didnt sit around and decide not to show up to a game of football in protest.. its individuals (x10,000) individually deciding that they didnt want to travel to the game.

They probably would have gotten the same turn-out at Kogarah though.. so if they expect more crowds to come because its a bigger stadium thats further away... that I cant understand.

I actually think Gould was supporting the fans in that statement

GT0007

Juniors
No failed humour.
No live betting updates.
Call the game FFS!

Sterlo's insight is almost always spot on and his commentry is about football. As far as I'm concerned he is number 1. I do like some of the humour but the bickering is rediculous. You only have to see what crap the footy show dishes out and how it struggles with ratings to realise we want football not old man sexist comedy. Ok if thats the show but please don't bring that shit into a game

GT0007

Juniors
And don't forget plugging The Block and Fat Tony...
Roy & HG >>> NIEN commentary team.

FFS we were just whinging about that, not only do they plug unrelated shows but also other sports in competition to league. I dont like it at all and it makes me not want to watch the shows they spruik but I guess it's a reality for the dollars we get for TV rights so its now a part of the game. I can't believe the amount of adverts after each try tho. May just record now so i can fast fwd through them

Mr Red

First Grade
- less matches to watch on game day... gone are the traditional "thirds" "reserves" and "firsts" approach which so many fans loved.. you get the advantage of tracking younger players coming through the grades which is not easy to do under the current model as they disappear off to the cutters or some other state league

- less games at "heartland" venues
- increase costs
- an unattractive brand of football - no more big hits, game artificially too fast.. even the players speaking out they are not happy playing league the way the NRL wants the game to go...
- increased matches available to watch on TV

so tell me NRL where is the incentive to go to the game??

jenninga

First Grade
imo the way Gould said "I think the numbers here today might be a protest from saints fans", I mean it was a 1-liner but it sounded like it was something he knew was a current topic and was always going to mention it... afaik gould still likes traditional homegrounds.

The key is the word "Protest"... the Dragon Army didnt sit around and decide not to show up to a game of football in protest.. its individuals (x10,000) individually deciding that they didnt want to travel to the game.

They probably would have gotten the same turn-out at Kogarah though.. so if they expect more crowds to come because its a bigger stadium thats further away... that I cant understand.

Gus, spent sunday morning replying to plenty of Dragons supporters,myself included on twitter about our dislike of ANZ.He kept saying the game should attract 50,000 and clubs need to go there to survive.Also said we have to stop living in the past.
Changing his tune is an understatement.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Our largest crowd at WIN last year was 14226 and our largest at Jubilee was 11857.
Those figures are completely wrong.

Best advice is to be wary of using Wikipedia as a valid source, if you do then always cross check.

The 14,226 crowd for example was one of the attendance figures at Kogarah. Wouldn't surprise me if someone got 'WIN Jubilee' mixed up with 'WIN Wollongong'. That happened a lot last year.

Our crowds weren't great last year, Wollongong in particular failed to crack 10K on at least two occasions. But we had a top home crowd figure of 17,458.

Mr Red

First Grade
homebush crowd of approx 19k (if this is true) was also due to the fact that although it was labelled as a dragons home game, it is in fact one of the home grounds of the tigers..

the crowd would have been MUCH lower if the dragons were playing a team that wasnt also a resident of Homebush..

tumbidragon

First Grade
the crowd would have been MUCH lower if the dragons were playing a team that wasn't also a resident of Homebush..
But that was the entire reasoning behind the move to ANZ for that game. The NRL and Doust have justified this move as "right game, right venue" as the tigers are seen as one of our marquee crowd pulling matches. Hence why games against Dogs (ANZ) and souffs (SCG) are also moved. And that leaves our actual home grounds with dreg matches against Cows, Panthers, Titans, Melb etc...
Agree with it or not, that is the way the NRL are now heading and I don't see them deviating from that coarse. If both teams had successful seasons last year, Sunday's match would have drawn closer to 28-30K... thus justifying the move. Even with the documented 19K I believe It pulled more than what Kogarah would have drawn on the day.

bottle

Coach
Homebush has only become the home ground for the Tiges this year. Prior to that it was the SFS.

roboshark

Coach
Current state of the nrl? It's f**ked

Run by f**king morons with set agendas and operating by 2 sets of rules

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Even with the documented 19K I believe It pulled more than what Kogarah would have drawn on the day.
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I believe we would have got a full house at Kogarah, 20K +... at least 18K if it rained. The place would have been packed, the home town atmosphere would've been deluxe, at least two of the WT tries disallowed and the scoreline would have created a deafening cheer to inspire our lads onto several more tries.

kit66

Bench

Nein and Fox would love to limit the number of grounds used, imagine how much they could save on moving all that broadcast equiptment around town. They could probably do a deal with the big stadiums to leave a lot of equiptment on site, like that useless copter camera ( who wants to see an ariel shot of a bloody scrum anyway - makes them look even more ridiculous ).

Latest posts