What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D day for Parramatta

Name three players Parramatta must keep if they are to make the playoffs.

• Total voters

Snappy

Coach
Why a 12pt penalty? Why not all the points for the season? Why not 8 points? Try answering those questions instead of acting smug and knowledgeable. All you are doing is regurgitating crap from newspapers with no thought or analysis.

WTF did you even watch the press conference ?

It is 12 points because Parra won 6 games this year. That's the same reason it's not 8 points.

It's not all points for the season because once Parra get under the cap, they can play for points.

Satisfied ? I answered those questions. Although I still cant fathom how you didnt know the answers already.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
I am convinced, nothing anyone says in this thread will persuade Parra's line of thinking, it's the NRL's fault Parramatta cheated isn't it, they're the reason the points were lost

Parramatta lost 12 points because they won 6 games with a roster that is over the cap, they've been given the opportunity to get under the cap and compete for points (which in itself is extremely generous), I can't see how you can direct your frustration at anyone except your own club in this situation

Smirrors

Juniors
No. I am also not accepting their version.

Why do you blindly accept what the NRL puts out? Do you extend this faith to other businesses ?

More reason to accept the NRL version than the Eels version.

If the Eels did have a leg to stand on they would have dug their heels in and fought another week regardless of threat of playing for points or not.

Parra

Referee
I don't like bringing forward tpa values from previous years and including them for the purposes of this penalty. This coyld leave us ina great position to enter the player market for next year with reasonable cap space. That is a stupid unintended consequence. I don't like the 12 points being so arbitrary in the same way those claiming it is too soft. Based on this if we had won no games this year the penalty would be zero points. I understand that people like and accept this and think zero points woukd be ok. I don't.

Parra

Referee
More reason to accept the NRL version than the Eels version.

If the Eels did have a leg to stand on they would have dug their heels in and fought another week regardless of threat of playing for points or not.

The Eels version is the NRL version. I'm not sticking up for either if them. You are.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
There is no such thing as a one sided conversation If you are over it you don't have to stay.

Hey, myself and other posters on here are trying to get you through this time by giving you some sense of reality.

Call it community service if you will.

Denial is not just a river in Africa, buddy.

Glen

Bench
One minute the message around here from other fans is: "Just stop defending it and cop the penalty that the NRL has dished out without any further question or discussion"

The next minute it is: "Why is the penalty so low? They should not be playing for points this year. The NRL needs to hit them harder etc etc"

The NRL hardly has a track record of consistency or logical decisions with ANYTHING yet we are expected to take everything they say on this issue as gospel? I'm a Parra fan and at this stage I can't see why we should compete for the finals this year, but as a club member and STH I think we deserve a better breakdown of the specifics of what we have done if they are going to take 12 competition points away

Valheru

Coach
I have been on the fence about Parra being able to play for points this season but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced they shouldn’t be allowed to. I understand they want to avoid the 2010 situation of a team playing for nothing but to be honest, this current scenario of letting Parra get under the cap brings even more questions to the fairness of the comp.

At least in 2010, every team that got beat by Melbourne was in the same boat whether they played them prior to or after the breaches came to light (who played them twice and who didn’t is another discussion entirely). With the Parra situation, you have a team like the bulldogs who lost twice to a team cheating the cap whereas other teams are yet to play Parra and will be playing a different, legal and presumably weaker team. In other words, teams like the bulldogs, Raiders and Cowboys are not being afforded the opportunity of competing for 2 points against a legal side like the rest of the comp is.

I don’t advocate compensating those teams because who is to say they would have beat a legal Parra team (the cowboys did on their 2nd attempt obviously)? The point is this is just a complete mess.

Parra

Referee
Hey, myself and other posters on here are trying to get you through this time by giving you some sense of reality.

Call it community service if you will.

Denial is not just a river in Africa, buddy.

Didn't realise you were being benevolent. Thanks for pointing that out.

Should Brett Stewart have just accepted the NRL's ruling?

super_coach

First Grade
This whole thing has been a massive PR exercise by the NRL. They have tried to turn a massive negative into a positive with them being seen as the good guys by offering Parra the chance to play for points.

In reality they knew they could not have a dud game every week for the rest of the season, they also know what a massive drawcard Parra are and how they boost the ratings in Sydney for the NRL in a market that is struggling. Now they hope that the Parra army will take a siege mentality of us hrs them.

Its a win win for the NRL, they are seen to be doing something about policing the salary cap and they are seen to be giving Parra a second chance. They also managed to get a quality player to jump ship to the Titians a club they basically own that is on struggle street.

Would not trust Greenberg or anyone else a NRL HQ...just a mob of spin doctors

MarkC

Juniors
I am now happy that Parra are now close enough to legal to play for points for the rest of the season.

This is a good outcome IMO, settle their fate on the field.

As I said earlier the ideal outcome is they go close to making the 8, but don't quite make it.

But I am happy to settle it on the field, if they make the 8, they deserve to be there.
They are now technically legal, and entitled to play for points.

They still need to improve the SC system, but perhaps they can make some additional changes for next season.

MarkC

Juniors
Its a win win for the NRL, they are seen to be doing something about policing the salary cap and they are seen to be giving Parra a second chance. They also managed to get a quality player to jump ship to the Titians a club they basically own that is on struggle street.

This is a very negative point of view.

What we have now is not ideal, but much better than a team not playing for points.

I don't buy the argument that there will be a stampede by the lower placed clubs to rort the cap, any rorting clubs can afford is probably happening already.

If anything a club being busted in a high profile way acts as a minor deterrent.

But the problem will remain because the whole TPA system is not fair and transparent.

Snappy

Coach
This whole thing has been a massive PR exercise by the NRL. They have tried to turn a massive negative into a positive with them being seen as the good guys by offering Parra the chance to play for points.

In reality they knew they could not have a dud game every week for the rest of the season, they also know what a massive drawcard Parra are and how they boost the ratings in Sydney for the NRL in a market that is struggling. Now they hope that the Parra army will take a siege mentality of us hrs them.

Would not trust Greenberg or anyone else a NRL HQ...just a mob of spin doctors

Yep, The NRL concocted the whole saga to get Peats to the Titans.

xeozd.jpg

Glen

Bench
Didn't realise you were being benevolent. Thanks for pointing that out.

Should Brett Stewart have just accepted the NRL's ruling?
No one should ever challenge a judiciary charge either, given the NRL is infallible

thorson1987

Coach
For most, I could accept that.

For Cam Smith, who acted as his own manager, it was complete bullshit. A bunch of managers were held accountable and deregistered over that case, but poor Cammy knew nothing

Cool story.

But Isaac Moses was his manager.

http://www.news.com.au/national/greg-inglis-and-cameron-smiths-agents-face-nrl-inquest/story-e6frfkp9-1225894260070

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Allan Gainey - who manages Inglis - and Isaac Moses - who represents Smith - could be removed as accredited NRL agents as early as next month.

Latest posts