What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telecrap at their lowest - Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

In-goal

Bench
I don't know why you boys get so upset by these pieces! Honestly
It's just a quip to gain a reaction, if you think they're honestly the views of
News would they even bother to promote the game?

After all, wouldn't news have an easier time promoting the hell out of
Rugby league when the game is creating headlines?

Canard

Immortal
The claim that we are currently in a RL silence period immediately portrays its credentials as a deliberate piss take.

I mean RL is second only to Michael Clarke's Innings with the "rumour" SBW could be bringing his glass jaw and shoulder back to the NRL to play 10 or so games a year.

woodyk2

First Grade
Looks like a big p%ss take to me.Obviously after a reaction and obviousy getting it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
We shouldnt be giving this merkin any oxygen...

I do agree though that you would never see a similar piece written in Melboring about AFL... the writer would be lynched....

ucantseeme

Juniors
You can tell from the headline that it is just a wind up. Don't take it so seriously.

Though I do believe Paul Pottinger genuinely dislikes RL. I remember he wrote a similar piece during the 2006 Soccer World Cup comparing RL unfavourably to soccer, the beautiful game. He is there once every 6 years go to guy.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I dont see comments like this as being "tongue in cheek" or a windup...

The NSW and Queensland rugby unions suspended senior competition during World War I. Rugby league did not.When Balmain played Glebe in the 1915 grand final, young men were being sacrificed at Gallipoli.

Its implying that Rugby League was doing something morally wrong at what was obviously a pretty dark time in the country's history...

It is an accusation I have seen levelled many times by Union fleas and Rugby League haters...

Of course the AFL in Melbourne ( VFL at the time), and Rugby Union in NZ continued to be played during WW1, but these points are never mentioned by the Union fleas...

Danish

Referee
Just following in the fine union tradition of having to focus on league to get their code mentioned in the papers.

The fact the most popular club and most known player were collectively banned from a pub yet the story couldn't break 2 paragraphs buried next to the local darts results tells you how much their game is struggling for attention

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I've never understood why people who follow other sports are constantly writing articles about rugby league.

If it's just satire then why are these articles always trashing rugby league and not the other football codes?

Lowdown

Juniors
If the Daily Telecrap dropped its league coverage it would have to close up shop.

They need league more than league needs it - and treats it like an abusive husband treats his wife.

Just don't get sucked into this rubbish which is only there to gain a reaction during a quiet off season.

whall15

Coach
I don't my comment will get through but here goes nothing.

I have to say this is the most pathetic piece of journalism that I have seen on this website and that is saying a lot considering the calibre of other writers that News Limited employ from Sports Writers who know nothing like 'Buzz' Lightyear and Rebecca Wilson to the redneck science-denying idiot Andrew Bolt and further afield the pathetic UK tabloids.

Interestingly enough the points you make in the paragraph "Then there is the spectacle itself" could easily be applied to Rugby Union and I would find it rather funny if you are a fan for AFL because you can denigrate the international aspect of Rugby League as much as you want because it beats the Southern States of Australia and the global sporting powerhouse of Nauru which AFL calls home.

Of course why should I be surprised that News Limited has printed this disgrace of an article, after all it loves to bite the hand that feeds, as Rugby League would count for a major amount of Daily Telegraph newspaper sales, and Rugby League would count for a huge amount of Foxtel subscriptions and of course Rugby League would count for the clicks to this very page and of course you'll be happy because someone will know who Paul Pottinger is.

If you or any one you know has a subscription to car guides please make sure they cancel it. Also tell them why you have done it. See how long he keeps his job. This will show this merkin who has the power here.

I love these articles as it makes me more willing to support the code I grew up with & enjoy more every year. This idiot just simply does not get it about what it means to people. :)

hutch

First Grade
I don't know why you boys get so upset by these pieces! Honestly
It's just a quip to gain a reaction, if you think they're honestly the views of
News would they even bother to promote the game?

After all, wouldn't news have an easier time promoting the hell out of
Rugby league when the game is creating headlines?

Because no other sport is subjected to such vile and lies, why should we have to cop it! How can such crap be allowed to be published by a paper which makes millions off the sport? The only time I have ever paid for that crap is for the rugby league news.

I notice that the dogs havnt allowed more than one comment so far too!

Flapper

First Grade
I've never understood why people who follow other sports are constantly writing articles about rugby league.

If it's just satire then why are these articles always trashing rugby league and not the other football codes?
Exactly. It isn't satire at all. It's a bloke who hates RL writing about how he hates RL. I know soccer trolls like Mong try to claim everything anti-RL is satire, but it clearly isn't.

Canard

Immortal
I don't my comment will get through but here goes nothing.

Nice response, Ive posted on there also.

For mine I read it that he is clearly a Union snob as he made a specific reference to that sport in the article.

Im sure a couple of the Union snobs that lurk here will shortly jump in to defend there brethern.

TheRam

Coach
They(The Telecrap) get away with it because the NRL leadership is pathetically weak. End of story.

Can you imagine Demitriou and the flames that would becoming out of his eyes right now if this was written about Gayball? Heads would be rolling down Collins St.

Last edited: