What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph Article Today - Gallop For Expansion

Perth Red

Post Whore
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/other/7454369/reds-can-rise-again-in-the-west/

Reds can rise again in the west

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian June 24, 2010, 9:14 am

Former Western Reds and Melbourne Storm prop Robbie Kearns believes a new NRL side could flourish in Perth, but it must score early wins to create support and momentum.
The NRL is considering Perth for an expansion side from 2013.
"There is no doubt that a team can succeed in Perth but it will need success early to ensure its future," the former State of Origin front-rower said.
Kearns played with the Western Reds in 1996-97 before the club folded and he moved to the Storm.
Now their front row coach and club ambassador, he is back with the side for Saturday's clash with South Sydney Rabbitohs at ME Bank Stadium.
"If the Reds had had more success in the early days I reckon we would have kept going," Kearns said.
"We didn't play well as a team. We had opportunities but we were a team of superstars and not a superstar team.
"In those early days we had good crowds but they fell away. There will always be diehards but a side has to create momentum and obviously it became a struggle financially to keep the side going."
Kearns, who retired in 2005, said a Perth club should not be a relocated Sydney side but should be built from the bottom.

Iafeta

Referee
CC would get better long term crowds than Perth and Wellington. Look at what underlines "expansion" - money. The CC would rake in money at least equal to the other two - and you don't have a long battle to get crowds from converted fans of more entrenched competitions.

I'm sure if Wellington can get 30 odd thousand to high profile... but still, A-League... football games, then I'm fairly sure, also given Wellington's excellent previous NRL attendances, that crowd numbers in Wellington are far from a problem. Wellington when it has been given opportunities in the NRL has performed.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Curious, why hasnt there been the slightest peep out of Wellington? No bid? No mention of taking games there at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh I'm surprised. At the least I would have thought the NZRL would have put a bid together for Wellington. Didn;t they have a billionaire or something backing them last time?

Eels Dude

Coach
I reckon one side for NZ is enough at the moment. It's not like the Warrior's form is demanding another NZ side.

Shire Panther

Juniors
Yep he is from Belgium this article was from 2004 I wonder if the rick bloke is still interested?????
http://tvnz.co.nz/content/441857
Financially they have the support of a Belgian millionaire, who is ready, willing and able to put his financial clout behind the prospective club.
"Our backer is credible," Chalmers said.
"He's been revealed to the NRL. I think there'll be a huge tick in terms of money.
"I had dinner with him this week in New Zealand. He's given us a commitment for this bid. We'll assess the position after that."

beads6

First Grade
4th QLD team is needed for sure, I think the Western Reds would be a great addition to the NRL. We really need to look at expanding otherwise AFL will take over.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Great to see the Central Coast Bear's bid is the most outstanding :). A team on the Central Coast will be great for the game - combining the North Shore of Sydney and the Central Coast.

Hopefully,the people of WA will support their bid and we will see the Bears and WA Reds back in the competition.

Hopefully 24 months notice will be given so the new clubs can start recruiting and have a team in the NSW Cup to develop the younger players...

Go the Bears and Reds.

hellteam

First Grade
Another side in NSW is not the answer. As someone said before, it's not expansion. It's just overcrowding the market even more. After all, the Central Coast is only an hour or so drive from Sydney.

Eels Dude

Coach
Another side in NSW is not the answer. As someone said before, it's not expansion. It's just overcrowding the market even more. After all, the Central Coast is only an hour or so drive from Sydney.

Yeah but the population is growing and growing. The advantage for the Central Coast is that it is rugby league heartland. They've a population larger than Wollongoing, Townsville and equal to Newcastle. And have strong junior bases. Better than putting a side in Adelaide where no-one gives a stuff.

hellteam

First Grade
Yeah but the population is growing and growing. The advantage for the Central Coast is that it is rugby league heartland. They've a population larger than Wollongoing, Townsville and equal to Newcastle. And have strong junior bases. Better than putting a side in Adelaide where no-one gives a stuff.

Agreed that Adelaide is not the answer. Perth is a viable option.

Also agree that Central Coast can be considered rugby league heartland. NSW is such a crowded market, I can understand that people want the Bears back but that's just unfortunate. Queensland is also rugby league heartland, and strong points could be made for a Central QLD team, Sunny Coast, another Brisbane team or Logan/Ipswich.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Yeah place a team in Rocky - no stadium and a huge population. Central Coast is one of the fastest growing cities in Australia.

Place teams where the support is. Central Coast and North Shore is one answer.

Brisbane would be great but the Broncos will never accept another team.

applesauce

Bench
Yeah place a team in Rocky - no stadium and a huge population. Central Coast is one of the fastest growing cities in Australia.

Place teams where the support is. Central Coast and North Shore is one answer.

Brisbane would be great but the Broncos will never accept another team.

Just incase you didn't know the QLD government has committed to a brand new 20k seat stadium in Rocky if CQLD get in the comp.

Flapper

First Grade
The idea of central Qld is growing on me by the day. but the CC team in its current form is fading with the same rate. The whole "north sydney" connection i fear will be its undoing.

Of course Perth should be priority #1.

Eels Dude

Coach
Agreed that Adelaide is not the answer. Perth is a viable option.

Also agree that Central Coast can be considered rugby league heartland. NSW is such a crowded market, I can understand that people want the Bears back but that's just unfortunate. Queensland is also rugby league heartland, and strong points could be made for a Central QLD team, Sunny Coast, another Brisbane team or Logan/Ipswich.

I can see your point. But the Central Coast has a much larger population than any of those areas. Plus they have a ready built stadium. As they missed out on their bid against the Titans a few years ago, they really should be next in line before putting another club in QLD. I think the NRL are secretly hoping that a Sydney club will relocate to the CC eventually, that's why they're not enthusiastic about investing in a new club in the area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
the 4 key cities have to be:

1. Perth
2. Wellington
3. Brisbane 2nd team
4. CC

I'd be happy to see Perth and CC (Bears or relocation) next then Brisbane2 (SQ somethings) and Wellington in 2020.

Ideally the league would stay at 16 but that would mean culling or more mergers of Sydney teams and I can't see that happening so we will end up with a 20 team comp by 2020-2025ish I reckon.

Latest posts