What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph Article Today - Gallop For Expansion

bobmar28

Bench
Gee some strong opinions in this thread, i enjoyed reading it until the arguments ensued. But my 2 cents go like this.

Western Reds: A no brainer. It was focussed on that all existing NRL fans already have fox? or other existing possible AFL fans that would convert do also? What a closed minded opinion. Ofcourse a team in Perth would boost television numbers there! you will have new fans, a growth in Foxtel subscribers! But not just that! there is more than 1 NRL telecast provider, and Channel 9 have the biggest games every round! If they can boost viewing in Perth for NRL it is worth a lot of money there also!

Central Coast Bears: Are a safe bet and not really and expansion. Relocate a team there everyone says, what the hell do you call The Bears in the Central Coast if not a relocation??? And it does a hell of a lot of consolidation in Sydney because it brings back those disillusioned by the Bears original departure, bring back the faith of some older fans, and provide a large populace of fans with a team that will bring in great crowds! and imagine the boost for Newcastle when they go head to head with the Central Coast! This strengthens this area financially as well as being in close reach for both Sydney and Newcastle fans to travel to games to watch them clash with the Bears. Bring it on! You cannot deny Central Coast being a prime and wise expansion.

Sure it is a safe bet with the Bears, but what is wrong with that? Its strong with little outlay and a guaranteed return! You can't expand to two currently non strongly supported areas and expect both teams to flourish, have one safe bet and one risky expansion, let the game grow nationally, and then do another safe bet in a few years with another QLD team and another risk like Wellington.

A 10th team in the saturated Sydney region. Give it to QLD.

Quidgybo

Bench
A 10th team in the saturated Sydney region. Give it to QLD.
Some on here will bristle at the suggestion that Gosford is part of the Sydney region but it doesn't change the basic point that we're looking at an 11th franchise (out of 18) based in a corridor between Newcastle and Wollongong that is less than 200km long and no more than 60km at its widest point. And the existing 10 teams aren't even particularly well distributed in that area. The game would be better served by the NRL taking more active steps to encourage all those existing teams to spread themselves to more adequately meet the needs of that region instead of burning another expansion license in an area that is already saturated.

Leigh.

Not according to the article that you found in November last year...

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/s...t+away+username_Quidgybo_username#post6248418

http://www.smh.com.au/business/league-the-big-loser-in-salary-stakes-20090816-emc3.html

$500m divided by six years equals $80m per year. Add New Zealand in and the total rises to over $100m per year. New Zealand television currently provides $20m per year - 1/5th of the game's television revenue.

Leigh

I'm not sure where you learned maths, but $500m divided by six years is $83m per year, meaning NZ provides $17m per year

Quidgybo

Bench
Rounding error.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

(either way, significantly more than $8m)

Leigh.

Brutus

Referee
Has the local Perth comp improved 10 fold in the last year?

Because Gallop just one year ago said Perth wouldn't be viable until it had a decent state-based comp like the AFL did when it introduced the West Coke Eagles.

It must have really improved in that time to change David's thoughts on the matter.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Has the local Perth comp improved 10 fold in the last year?

Because Gallop just one year ago said Perth wouldn't be viable until it had a decent state-based comp like the AFL did when it introduced the West Coke Eagles.

It must have really improved in that time to change David's thoughts on the matter.

Gallop's mind changes with the weather - depending on what News Limited want. He has been making comments on "expansion" for 10 years. he's a waste of space.

Loudstrat

Coach
Some on here will bristle at the suggestion that Gosford is part of the Sydney region but it doesn't change the basic point that we're looking at an 11th franchise (out of 18) based in a corridor between Newcastle and Wollongong that is less than 200km long and no more than 60km at its widest point. And the existing 10 teams aren't even particularly well distributed in that area. The game would be better served by the NRL taking more active steps to encourage all those existing teams to spread themselves to more adequately meet the needs of that region instead of burning another expansion license in an area that is already saturated.

Leigh.

Saturated?

Every second week 16000 people of the CC attend a home game, go to the club, buy merchandise? You reckon the cc bears would take equal numbers away from other clubs? Rubbish.

Meet the needs of the region? There is a need in that region that needs to be met. There is no other bid on the table that would bring more to the NRL than this one!

shiznit

Coach
RL may have missed the boat for a 2nd team in NZ... especially Wellington.

forget about RU... your never going to be competing long term with them... it was always going to be against the other sports where a 2nd franchise would live or die...

NZ football is going through probably the biggest boom in its history... if there admin is able to use this and grow the sport RL is in BIG trouble.

Football in NZ is by far the biggest sport as far as Jnr numbers goes... even more than RU... so there seen as a sleeping giant in NZ. if the Jnr numbers start to stay with Football instead of going to RU and RL i can tell you further expansion in NZ is all but over...

and the NRL can kiss all that extra revenue goodbye from a NZ TV deal.

Paul J

Juniors
RL may have missed the boat for a 2nd team in NZ... especially Wellington.

forget about RU... your never going to be competing long term with them... it was always going to be against the other sports where a 2nd franchise would live or die...

NZ football is going through probably the biggest boom in its history... if there admin is able to use this and grow the sport RL is in BIG trouble.

Football in NZ is by far the biggest sport as far as Jnr numbers goes... even more than RU... so there seen as a sleeping giant in NZ. if the Jnr numbers start to stay with Football instead of going to RU and RL i can tell you further expansion in NZ is all but over...

and the NRL can kiss all that extra revenue goodbye from a NZ TV deal.

Soccer is by far the biggest junior code in Australia and NZ.

NZ soccer is having the same spike now for making their first world cup since 1982 that we had in 2006 for making our first world cup since 1974.

Has soccer taken over Australia? Will NZ consistently make world cups in the future?

When we get our independent commission they will decide if we go for a 2nd NZ team. I would guess they will invest big time in junior footy there before they do, if they decide to go there.

adamkungl

Immortal
Soccer is the biggest junior participation sport in Aus as well...doesn't change the fact that no one gives a sh*t about it except for a few weeks every 4 years

shiznit

Coach
Soccer is the biggest junior participation sport in Aus as well...doesn't change the fact that no one gives a sh*t about it except for a few weeks every 4 years
yeah but unlike in Australia.... RL is very much a minor sport in NZ.

If football grows in Australia... because theres 3 other major winter codes they probably all feel the impact the same.

as RU is by far the strongest code in NZ... RU is able to withstand any flow on's from footballs revival.

RL however... im not so sure... while the Warriors will always give the game a solid base of support...

Footballs development only takes away from any future expansion in NZ and with it... whatever extra revenue the game would get from a TV deal.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the NRl had its 5h1t together it would have been taking some of that $12mill a year surplus from the NZ Tv rights and been devloping Wellington ready for 2013.

shiznit

Coach
If the NRl had its 5h1t together it would have been taking some of that $12mill a year surplus from the NZ Tv rights and been devloping Wellington ready for 2013.
to be honest i think it comes down to timing... at the moment its probably poor timing to start up a new franchise in Wellington for a number of reasons.

- the financial times were in probably make it abit difficult to find funds to bankroll a project.

- footballs popularity at the moment will probably give the nix a boost which may make it difficult for an NRL side to get a foothold in Wellington at the moment.

i think at the moment it may be best for the NRL to look elsewhere and hope that as someone as has said... its a 'blip' and the numbers will fall back down so RL can come back in when its on the rise again.

one positive for the NRL though.... at least in Wellington/NZ they can afford to give it some time... as theres next to no threat in this market from the AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
to be honest i think it comes down to timing... at the moment its probably poor timing to start up a new franchise in Wellington for a number of reasons.

- the financial times were in probably make it abit difficult to find funds to bankroll a project.

- footballs popularity at the moment will probably give the nix a boost which may make it difficult for an NRL side to get a foothold in Wellington at the moment.

i think at the moment it may be best for the NRL to look elsewhere and hope that as someone as has said... its a 'blip' and the numbers will fall back down so RL can come back in when its on the rise again.

one positive for the NRL though.... at least in Wellington/NZ they can afford to give it some time... as theres next to no threat in this market from the AFL.

Things don't just happen though. either the NRL needs to work on it, the NZRL needs to work on it or a 3rd party backer group need to (or hopefully a partnership of all 3!). Sitting back and waiting to see what develops hasn't exactly been productive in expanding the game over the last 100 years!

hellteam

First Grade

Not to mention the upcoming Rugby World Cup in New Zealand as well

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not to mention the upcoming Rugby World Cup in New Zealand as well

thing is nobodys talking about a team next season but maybe start the work now so it is ready for 2018? If they had supported the Orcas bid group 5 years ago maybe Wellington would be more than ready for 2013? It's the lack of vision and plan that frustrates me about the NRL!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Yeah theres nothing really to worry about with NZ and Soccer. The USA hosted the damn World Cup years ago and people over there were saying "its going to take over its going to take over".

Last I checked, the NFL makes more money then the English Premier League, and the NFL only goes for what? 22 weeks?

Quidgybo

Bench
Saturated?
Yep, Saturated. That's the exact word used by the CEO of the NRL to describe the game's situation in that region. But regardless of what you think of Gallop's point of view, given the size of Australia and the size of Rugby League heartlands in NSW, Qld and NZ, what else would you call having 11 of our 18 teams in a single 200km long corridor if not saturated?

Meet the needs of the region? There is a need in that region that needs to be met. There is no other bid on the table that would bring more to the NRL than this one!
What, apart from a 4th Queensland, 2nd New Zealand or Perth team? There are no bids on the table at all because there isn't a table, bids haven't been called for. But quite apart from that, you don't just go with the squeakiest wheel to the exclusion of the many other more quantifiable considerations. You look at where would be best for the game to go and then call for bids from that area. Too much of this argument is being driven by the emotional needs associated with the identity of one bid team (ie. the former North Sydney Bears) and not nearly enough by the needs of the Central Coast as an area, the needs of the game in the wider Newcastle to Wollongong region, and the game's goals in considering expanding the competition to 18 teams. The Central Coast needs a team and the Central Coast deserves a team, but it must come through relocation of one of the existing teams in that region instead of burning an expansion license on a region already saturated with teams.

Leigh.

shiznit

Coach
Yeah theres nothing really to worry about with NZ and Soccer. The USA hosted the damn World Cup years ago and people over there were saying "its going to take over its going to take over".

Last I checked, the NFL makes more money then the English Premier League, and the NFL only goes for what? 22 weeks?
hmmm??

theres a massive difference between Football having an impact with the NFL in the USA and having an impact with RL in NZ.

the NFL is probably the largest sport in the USA.... RL is 2nd at best in NZ.... and its well behind RU.

Football in the USA is far too small to seriously threaten the NFL... RL isnt that much bigger than Football in NZ to start with... if the nix prove to be more successful than the Warriors than it could overtake RL easily.

i think you need to realise that RL is a minor sport in NZ... it fights for it's share against the Cricket, Football, Netball & to a lesser extent Basketball.

i think theres space for a 2nd NRL team in NZ... but i dont know if it would be in Wellington if the Nix are pumping...

Latest posts