What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph: Feleti Mateo launches Eel attack

spiderdan

Bench
Where does the $400k figure come from? The papers reported that he signed for $350k with the warriors, considering he's a local junior and has so many close mates at the eels not to mention family, you'd think an offer anywhere near $300k would've been enough, is he worth $300k? Ofcourse
maybe $400k nz monies, which would be around $27.50 aud. not sure how we couldn't fit him under the cap.

but being serious, what maroubra said about chasing qc fits the bill. also, had we made the effort to re-sign him in the off-season during "mortstock - a festival of ossie's love for morts" it wouldn't have cost even close to the reported money he got from the warriors. he has had a good season overall at warriors and would have been good to keep him but que sera.

on the whole giving the club a blast thing. i only briefly skimmed the article but didn't see a quote from him having a go at management. just a sentence where the author claims he did.

spiderdan

Bench
What type of club would release a match winner like mateo seriously. This guy can turn a match by himself with his runs and offloads.

Just imagine next year hayne , mateo and sandow.

Now that would have been something ?
agree. one of our best performances under anderson came against your lot when hayne and mateo went ballistic. same under hagan against your lot when it was hayne, mateo and tim smith. amazing what can happen when players are let to play their natural game.

hopefully next year hayne, sandow and matua can strike up a good combo. hayne is a freak. sandow shows patches of brilliance and has a good kicking game. and i have been very happy with matua since he started playing for us. the dude would have been close to our best player for the season had he played from game one i think.

SDM

First Grade
I really can't be bothered getting into this again, as has been said its worked out well for everyone involved. We get a player we desperately need, he's played great this season and you guys don't want him. And he got out at the right time. Find it more funny he is getting sprayed for his comments.

Yet here you are. Uptight dopes like you make the internet fun.

sam54no

Juniors
By letting Mateo go, we were able to keep Horo and sign Reni...so i'm happy with the decision we made

Gronk

Staff member
I really can't be bothered getting into this again, as has been said its worked out well for everyone involved. We get a player we desperately need, he's played great this season and you guys don't want him. And he got out at the right time. Find it more funny he is getting sprayed for his comments.

After Mateo says

I'm just really happy I'm out of there.
You expect us to be complimentary ?

As Rambo once said "He drew first blood."

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Just wait till next year when Reni gets a full off season and some match fitness. Mateo is a good player but got lazy here and needed to move on.

DeanPay98

Juniors
If we had retained Mateo we probably wouldn't have had room to bring back Willie Tonga and we mightn't have signed Ben Roberts. I have mixed feelings about losing him. But in the end I think we are better off. His offloading can be a bit like David Solomona's was - miraculous when it comes off - but horrific when it fails. In three years time I don't think we would want to sign him. His best footy period will likely be the next three years and after that who knows?For whatever reason we didn't get value out of Mateo. Thats unfortunate but life moves on.

Gronk

Staff member
Haha fair enough, can't blame him though. Not sure anyone would have wanted to be part of Parra this season.

Yeah he made the right decision to leave.

Hold on, I thought he wanted to stay but was told he wasn't in our plans ?

Oh I get it. He's saying that he's glad he's not there now, even though he wanted to stay ?

I had a bunny boiler girl friend once that said confusing shit like that.

fatal.jpg

btaag

Juniors
Feliti Mateo is a myth - a player who never played at 100% for us, never bothered to train properly and refused to play the team game.

He would constantly drop balls in bad positions on the field and his game breaking moments were far outweighed by his shockers.

The play that sums-up Mateo at Parra for me is in the Qualifying Final against St George in 2009 - comes on with us narrolwy in front and turns it over on the second tackle, deep in our half.

I am happy for him at the Warriors. It took a change of club for him to start training properly, and he is on big money so should retire comfortably.

Am I upset I didnt have him in the side this year to watch him play at 65% effort and interest levels, knocking the ball on 4 times? Not at all!!!

Parra is planning strategically for the future, and will recruit players with the right attitude. By 2013 lets see if Feliti is saying things like this.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I thought it was pretty simple really, he said he was glad he was out of there and at the Warriors now. For obvious reasons really.

And yes he probably still will in 2013, with the age of our side I can't see anything but improvement by us in the next few years, just like you guys.

Last edited:

SDM

First Grade
I thought it was pretty simple really, he said he was glad he was out of there and at the Warriors now. For obvious reasons really.

And yes he probably still will in 2013, with the age of our side I can't see anything but improvement by us in the next few years, just like you guys.

He is fat?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Only played half a season, plus he's not on superstar money.

I think counting extra wins is a fair yardstick for the new players to a club if they're among the highest paid, which is why it'll be a good indication of how much Sandow brings to the Eels next year.

But on the same note, it won't mean much for the contributions of players like Esi Tonga and Taulima Tautai - they should be judged more on individual contributions.

Exactly.

Add to that the fact that Mateo was added to an otherwise fairly stable Warriors squad - on 'star' money, and you'd expect him to make the team better.

To draw an analogy with our own team, Poore + Tahu in 2010. They came in, we EXPECTED the '09 GF team to be a better team in 2010, but we weren't.
Conclusion: we spent our dough in the wrong place - didn't need props/centers, needed halves.

Mateo is like Frank Pritchard in a lot of ways; both fantastically talented footballers who can bring so much to the table, and can even win a game each year pretty much on their own. But if you pay them top dollar, you're not a top team.

jk13

First Grade
i thought he turned over at least 2 off loads last weekend in bad field position. his try really didn't do much for the final scoreline. maybe he is training harder now cause he has to due to the dosh he is getting. skill is nothing if u keep making poor decisions