What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dale Husband

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Probably not a popular opinion but I honestly somehow like him LESS than Costigan or McIvor.

Between him and Halligan the commentary is more surreal than Twin Peaks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to anything Husband says or when he says it- he'll raise his voice for no reason, talk about an unrelated matter during an exciting passage of play, or just say something completely random. The try of the season could be going on and Husband will say "Shaun Johnson....the 21 year old.....the former Hibiscus Coast Raider who has made a big impression"....by this point the ball might have been intercepted, gone through 6 sets of hands and the opposition have scored a try. Often it seems as though he legitimately just is not watching the game.

Rich102

Staff member
Probably not a popular opinion but I honestly somehow like him LESS than Costigan or McIvor.

Between him and Halligan the commentary is more surreal than Twin Peaks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to anything Husband says or when he says it- he'll raise his voice for no reason, talk about an unrelated matter during an exciting passage of play, or just say something completely random. The try of the season could be going on and Husband will say "Shaun Johnson....the 21 year old.....the former Hibiscus Coast Raider who has made a big impression"....by this point the ball might have been intercepted, gone through 6 sets of hands and the opposition have scored a try. Often it seems as though he legitimately just is not watching the game.

I like him because I find him less intrusive and easier to block out. For most of the game I don't want a commentary, just someone to let me know what's happening off-screen.

ozbash

Referee
I like him and I think 'Chuck' isnt as big a dickhead responding to Dale's commentry.

Nobody is worserer than McGimp !

BARBA'S GOOD!!!

I can't stop cracking the f*ck up at this Husband line from the weekend.

Must of been a major culture shock for Australian listeners. They would of heard Maori & Polynesian names pronounced correctly for the first time ever.

hitman82

Bench
I find him very "grassroots" in that I feel like I have been transported back to the bad old days of the Warriors, when we gassed around the 60 minute mark in every game. Our shithouse defense and blokey coach also contribute to this general "cheap" feel.

However, I find Dale very easy to tune out when I want to, and he doesn't piss me off like previous commentators (McIvor) did. SO all good.

vvvrulz

Coach
I find him very "grassroots" in that I feel like I have been transported back to the bad old days of the Warriors, .

Hit the nail on the head right there.

I never had a problem with Costo. He was a little eccentric and over excited, but he was never biased and at least gave the vibe of being a professional commentator.

Skinner

Coach
My enduring memory of Dale is of him commentating Lion Red Cup games into his phone on the roof of his van...it was magic.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Agreed that he's pretty easy to block out. I don't mind that. It's an indictment on him, but I can live with it. Not those two muppets who think 'I'm going to sit on the fence' is the most hilarious thing ever to say pre-game.

But I did cringe when Husband informed me Maloney was off to Melbourne next year.

Agreed that he's pretty easy to block out. I don't mind that. It's an indictment on him, but I can live with it. Not those two muppets who think 'I'm going to sit on the fence' is the most hilarious thing ever to say pre-game.

But I did cringe when Husband informed me Maloney was off to Melbourne next year.

He corrected himself and I like him, a caller who never needs to go OTT with everything that happens. I think he will get better with more time like anything else. If he fails which I dont think he will, SOS Greame Hughes as many others have said and put husband on the sidelines OR when a hard to pronounce name comes across he can help the other amatuers pronounce names the proper way (Aussie commentators could learn from Dale)

Must of been a major culture shock for Australian listeners. They would of heard Maori & Polynesian names pronounced correctly for the first time ever.

Aussie's defintely need to hear more of Dale as over the years It has been really insulting that names are still being pronounced incorrectly and then this spins around to the rest of the world, FFS I say Mar Tay O like the f**ken aussies (It needs to stop especially now that Maori and Pacific Islanders are dominating this sport)

MKEB...

Staff member
What would happen if they tried to pronounce Civonociva like they pronounce Rokocoko? These images of a particular Monty Python character from the Life of Brian come to mind...

Packy

Bench
BARBA'S GOOD!!!

I can't stop cracking the f*ck up at this Husband line from the weekend.

I really enjoyed hearing how the names are meant to be pronounced. Bet ya any money I sound like a massive tool if I try to replicate it though.

I thought he was really good. During the game I didn't notice either way, but watching the highlights made me warm to him. That "Barba's goooood" was really great to hear. He has a good voice and excellent expression.

I honestly can't get "Barba's gooood!" outta my head.

It was like he was shocked and didn't quite know what to say and just blurted it out. Awesome commentary moment.

I also enjoyed that moment where a Dog got into the backfield (might of been Barba again) and Dale said he was gonna streak away and score....then realized Locke was still at the back, and changed to "or maybe he wont....runners on the inside (delivered with great anticipation in his voice)....TRY"

Someone needs to make a Husband thread in the NRL forum and ask the aussies what they thought of his pronounciations. I bet all ex Parra fans were shocked to hear Mateo. I especially liked his Halatau pronounciation.