What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M Awards. Winner = Johnathan Thurston

JoeD

First Grade
Not sure about Witty getting points but what idiot decided Geyer should be a judge after the comments he made? What if it had been a close match? Just shows you can't take these awards very seriously.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Honestly most of you hate AFL, but at least their player of the year (Brownlow Medal) is done a bit better. Get the referees to give a 3-2-1 vote after each match. IMO that is a much better system.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I disagree... refs is a bad idea. Some ref's can hold grudges against players and clubs and don't really see the whole game. Give it to some more respected journo's (oxymoron I know)

Having two-bit ex-footballers with agendas and bias doesn't cut it anymore.

Dutchy

Immortal
Refs need to learn the rules of the game before they can decide who plays better than who!

Nathan B

Juniors
So, Andrew Ryan was better than Mason and Sonny on Friday night. Yeah, right!

That was just about as quiet as Ryan gets.

Maybe Matthew Johns should check the stats before he awards points. He's on the side line in the cold and wet, busy worrying about what he's going to say on his next cross, making jokes with players and fans. Is it any wonder these points look sillier and sillier?

Timmah

Staff member
He was more worried about the video referee screen working than the play involving Kouparitsas' try.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Dodger said:
I disagree... refs is a bad idea. Some ref's can hold grudges against players and clubs and don't really see the whole game. Give it to some more respected journo's (oxymoron I know)

Having two-bit ex-footballers with agendas and bias doesn't cut it anymore.

I think each game should be judged by a few different people and an average worked out.

For example the officials (ref, touchies and video official) and a couple of selectors.

As long as points are being given out by imbeciles (fancy having Ikin give the points in a Broncos game! A more biased half-wit their is not) like Johns, Geyer, Chesterton, et al the award will remain tainted.

Timmah

Staff member
I like the idea of the Video Ref perhaps, he's not down there in the middle.

Nathan B

Juniors
Set up a Dally M commitee consisting of 10 ex-players, journos or commentators. Their job is to go into NRL headquarters each Wednesday (and get paid for it), view the games on tape (yes, there are things you can pick up by being at the game, but you can't tell me watching the game closely on tape isn't enough to determine the game's top 3), give them copies of the stats and let them pick a 3, 2, 1. Add the totals from the 10 committee members and come up with a final 3, 2 and 1.

A Dally M committee might sound grandiose at first, but if we want the game to move forward, if we want to have a highest individual award with some credibility, I think this is a much better way of going about it.

smeghead

Bench
0,,5540319,00.jpg

Broncos v Wests Tigers

Judge: Steve Mascord

3 - Tonie Carroll (Broncos)

2 - Karmichael Hunt (Broncos)

1 - Robbie Farah (Tigers)

Farah was very good and was the only player of ours to stand out but losing by that amount he is very lucky

Eddie.

Bench
Losing by 30, generally the unwritten rule is you don't get any points.

However Farah did some very skillful things.

* 40/20
* Tap kick restart finding touch down field
* Individual Try
* Grubber try for Lawrence on 4th tackle
* Kick goals from the the sideline

He probably was one of the best 3 players on the field. However Brisbane had 17 of the top 18 players on the field.