What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M player of the year 2008 - clear as mud

c_eagle

Juniors
Both Orford and Soward are neck-and-neck in the LU Awards.

Kimmorley and Campese are in the mix as well.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=16911
Orford is leading the LU Awards? What a hype-driven, waste of time. What does it say about the LU awards if Orford is leading with one round to go? I can't believe that overrated hack is going to win. Etc. etc.

If you'd read this forum without seeing the ladder, you'd definitely think Manly are at least outside the 8 the way our players get critiqued. We're first, ffs.

Jono078

Referee
Gidley could be a surprise for the Dally M, but I think he'll fall short, definitely in the top 5 though I think.

Slater still has it for mine.

Bench
I hope Gidley wins it,Heighno would have been a show if we didn't have our usual late season fade out.:?

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Orford would have had a real dry spell up until 2 or 3 weeks ago...
Slater has also lost 3 points due to suspension....

This year it will be alot closer than previous years and a "superstar" may not get it IMO.

Orford, Campese, Soward, Smith, Mateo, Gidley, Kimmorely

Flip a coin, based on their performances since round 16, any of them can get it IMO.

Tunguska

Juniors
Paul Gallen is a good bet.

Even with 2 weeks suspension, manages to have the most amount of selections in the Herald team of the week (9).

If not, I'd say Slater or Boreford.

Godz Illa

Coach
Soward has missed the last 3 games through injury, and from round 17-22 Saints had 3 losses. However I'm guessing he would have picked up at least 2 maybe 3 points against Newcastle, and at least 2 maybe 3 against the Dogs. He was outstanding in the loss to Cronulla as well and may have picked up a point there. So maximum 7 points since votes went secret. Unlikely that will be enough, unless he is picked this week and gets 3 more points.

gong_eagle

First Grade
LEADERBOARD

19 - Matt Orford (MAN)

16 - Feleti Mateo (PAR)

15 - Billy Slater (MEL)

15 - Braith Anasta (SYD)

14 - Danny Buderus (NEW)

14 - Cameron Smith (MEL)

14 - Scott Prince (GCT)

14 - Jamie Soward (STI)

13 - Paul Gallen (CRO)

13 - Chris Heighington (WTI)

13 - Brett Hodgson (WTI)

11 - Robbie Farah (WTI)

11 - Greg Bird (CRO)

11 - Anthony Watmough (MAN)

10 - Kurt Gidley (NEW)

10 - Mitchell Pearce (SYD)

10 - Johnathan Thurston (NQL)

10 - Craig Fitzgibbon (SYD)

10 - Michael Ennis (BRI)

mongoose

Coach
LEADERBOARD

19 - Matt Orford (MAN)

16 - Feleti Mateo (PAR)

15 - Billy Slater (MEL)

15 - Braith Anasta (SYD)

14 - Danny Buderus (NEW)

14 - Cameron Smith (MEL)

14 - Scott Prince (GCT)

14 - Jamie Soward (STI)

13 - Paul Gallen (CRO)

13 - Chris Heighington (WTI)

13 - Brett Hodgson (WTI)

11 - Robbie Farah (WTI)

11 - Greg Bird (CRO)

11 - Anthony Watmough (MAN)

10 - Kurt Gidley (NEW)

10 - Mitchell Pearce (SYD)

10 - Johnathan Thurston (NQL)

10 - Craig Fitzgibbon (SYD)

10 - Michael Ennis (BRI)

Is that current? how do the WT have 3 players so high

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Does anyone reckon it should be silent votes the whole way... I know afl does it but I would rather it be a secret,,, Terry Campese is a perfect example, due to the fact that we know he was not in top 20, he is no hope..

The Gambler

Juniors
Can't really think of a good reason why they publish the votes for the first half of the season.

I suppose if anything it generates a bit of interest in the award, since people firstly keep track of the scoring, then they can start to guess how the points are awarded for the rest of the season.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Could you imagine them trying to go through EVERY round and saying who scored what. The show would go for 10 hours. It's tedious enough as it is.

I like the current format, because sometimes you get some real bolters at the end of the year that become surprise packets and win it.