What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dare to dream

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Each team has 24 games to accumulate as many points as possible, one of our close rivals got a gimme 2 points today against a team who had nothing to play for.

We did not get an equivalent opportunity against a team who had nothing to play for at any point this season.

It is probable that the very 2 points the Cowboys earned today will see them make the 8 at our expense. It is also quite probable that if, like us, the Cowboys had played 24 games against teams with an incentive to win, we would be in the finals and they wouldn't.

I'm struggling to see how that isn't a bit unlucky.

Speaking of easy points, its also a little annoying that we played all 3 of the worst teams this year only once, and played all 4 of the top teams twice. Even though we lost to the Eels in round 1, playing them at home later in the season would have been another gift 2 points. Pretty unlucky to hit all 3 of them only once.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I'd agree that it was bad luck, only needing the favourites to win one of two games and having them both go against us. But its our own fault for letting bad luck be something that could result in us missing out in the first place. I think there are some really good signs from the second half of the year, and we should be able to do a lot next year if we can build on that.

Perfectly said there.
Its a bad luck in terms of the draw for the round.

However, sad WTD has said, its our fault we are in this situation to be begin with.
To deserve a spot in the finals after our start, we couldn't afford to lose those games a few weeks back.

Plain and simple, with the amount of games we've lost all season, we don't deserve to play finals footy. If you take out and really bad start and go off the second half the season, then yes we do. However it's a long season and every game needs to be accounted for

LeagueNut

First Grade
Shrek Nut. Has a ring about it.
Nuts to that!

There's still a glimmer of hope that we'll make it, so the beard might come off after this weekend.............

I don't have a Plan B though. I might let you blokes decide what happens.

jamaman

Juniors
Attitude has cost them in making the 8.. I hope they will have learnt for 2014
as sas motto "no guts no glory"

WithTheDawn

Juniors
I've decided the Tigers have enough of an outside chance of winning that I'll actually watch their game with some glimmer of hope (assuming the Warriors win). I must be a glutton for punishment for putting myself through this all over again...

I've decided the Tigers have enough of an outside chance of winning that I'll actually watch their game with some glimmer of hope (assuming the Warriors win). I must be a glutton for punishment for putting myself through this all over again...

That's what its all about.
If Cowboys win I'll then be cheering the Storm vs Titans on for an outside chance of the Eels getting up over Knights.
Going to have to tip Cowboys, Titans and Knights (and Dragons), that should sort them out! :D

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Well we would still miss if the Cowboys won by 2, so yeah, that would still matter.

How about those Broncos getting up and beating the Bulldogs? Wish they could have done that against the Knights, which you would have thought would be an easier game...bah.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
We've done well to still be alive after the start to the season. We've probably missed the boat but next year must be a top 6 finish, top 4 with Tomkins.

TheDMC

Bench
If we blow it against St George, then I will feel the season was poor and we haven't progressed meaningfully enough since 2012 debacle.
If we win, and don't make the eight, I'm okay with it, overall a good second half of the season and promising signs.
Might seem a bit over the top to have such a different season view depending on the outcome of this one game, but it is a must win game against poor opposition - last chance saloon for our finals push (and redemption for last Penrith loss).

I have a feeling something interesting will happen this weekend. Watching Broncos last night, they played with enthusiasm and enjoyment and really wanted the win, despite nothing much (except a couple of player milestones) on the line. Hopefully Tigers or Eels have a similar mental approach, enjoy their footy and beat a stressed out Newcastle/Nth Qland. Could happen. Pressure is on those two teams.

Blair

Coach
The Cowboys and Tigers look an even match-up on paper. The Cowboys homeground tropical advantage comes into play (but the game is played in the cooler evening - remember the Warriors in 2007 faded badly in a final up there during the day?) but the Tigers have the Benji factor.

Ricky and the Eels are angry ants right now too.

This could be a great time for the Warriors this weekend. Just as important as last weekend.

Forget all this talk about 2014 for the next 48 hours or so.

vvvrulz

Coach
If we blow it against St George, then I will feel the season was poor and we haven't progressed meaningfully enough since 2012 debacle.

Bit of a harsh call this.

Win or lose this weekend we're light years ahead of what happened in 2012. Apart from that Penrith game and probably the Eels and Sharks early on, we weren't *that bad* most of the time and were usually in the game. We consistently challenged and in many cases beat the golden top four, it took a couple of lazy performances and a bad points differential to land us where we are.

Not a fantastic season but gets a pass mark at least. 2012 was an absolute farce and one of the worst seasons of our history, it doesn't even compare.

vvvrulz

Coach
remember the Warriors in 2007 faded badly in a final up there during the day?)

I remember the Cows scoring a decisive try off a huge forward pass and Witt blew up deluxe at the touchies. We then totally fell apart in the second half under the heat as you say.

The only reason we were there though is because of a Logan Swann fail the week before, was a very good season until that.

TheDMC

Bench
Bit of a harsh call this.

Win or lose this weekend we're light years ahead of what happened in 2012. Apart from that Penrith game and probably the Eels and Sharks early on, we weren't *that bad* most of the time and were usually in the game. We consistently challenged and in many cases beat the golden top four, it took a couple of lazy performances and a bad points differential to land us where we are.

Not a fantastic season but gets a pass mark at least. 2012 was an absolute farce and one of the worst seasons of our history, it doesn't even compare.

Yeah probably too harsh, but despite abysmal 2012, we should have been a top 6 team this year in my view. We have the cattle, many whom played the grand final only two seasons ago. Just because we were so crap in 2012 doesn't mean years of rebuilding needed...we are hardly Parramatta..

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah probably too harsh, but despite abysmal 2012, we should have been a top 6 team this year in my view. We have the cattle, many whom played the grand final only two seasons ago. Just because we were so crap in 2012 doesn't mean years of rebuilding needed...we are hardly Parramatta..

Yep agreed. I'd still rate this season a success somewhat, but if we don't make the top 6 next year then that definitely rates as a failure. Not sure if we are a premiership winning side yet but we should be comfortably making the playoffs.

Blair

Coach
I remember the Cows scoring a decisive try off a huge forward pass and Witt blew up deluxe at the touchies. We then totally fell apart in the second half under the heat as you say.

The only reason we were there though is because of a Logan Swann fail the week before, was a very good season until that.

Our emotions have really been all over the place supporting this football team, haven't they?

That season we did so well to battle our way into a top-four finish, got a home-semi against the Eels, but lost the in form Vatuvei and Ropati in the last round win against Penrith (who were fighting to avoid the spoon).

We lost much needed punch and pace outside, but that's no reason Swann shouldn't have passed the ball out that way! Maybe he reasoned that, in a tight final, it's better to score as close to the posts as possible, but Witt was banging them over pretty well at the time.

In the end we got a second life in Townsville but most people thought we were pretty much a beaten side by then.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Enjoy stressing over results this weekend, losers!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

A couple of 'experts' are picking the Tigers. Most are going for the Storm. The young, written off, Eels will be out to prove a point against some pretty ordinary opposition.

This season's not over for the Warriors. You'd be silly to say so and, if you can't have the faith this weekend, don't bother getting on any finals bound bandwagon, please.