What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darius Boyd (not a troll thread)

Noname36

First Grade
Hes a mercenary and hes playing like one, none of us should be too surprised. Its clear he doesnt care about the colours he wears nor the ground he plays at each home game.

He seems pretty f**king happy to join in the post try/game celebrations and sing the team song when we win...pretty ironic considering he's the bloke that probably contributes to them the least.

Like others I wonder how Bennett is viewing Boyd's contribution. Wayne seems to be ecstatic lately at the amount of heart and determination we're showing (well as ecstatic as Bennett can look anyway), so surely he'd be pissed that Darius has been the one exception to that.

RHCP

Bench
Darius goes well for us when he actually has a dig. It's a shame it only happens 4 or 5 times a season.

macavity

Referee
On topic, he isn't as bad as some of you make out. He isn't the game breaker we need him to be, but hardly a "passenger" .

He just doesn't seem to fit with what we are trying to do. Not sure how we fix that.

Yosh

Coach
Someone has to run him over with their car. Has to take one for all us fans...

So Jarryd Hayne anyone?

Yosh

Coach
God no. He's got the same issue as Boyd but on even higher money. 1 week on, 5 weeks off.

I would have agreed with you 2 or 3 seasons ago but he is a champion player now. Have you seen any Parra games this year? Anything positive they do comes from Hayne's hands.

K-Man

Bench
In my opinion, people don't like him as a person and as a result he gets unfairly singled out for criticism. What did he do today that was so bad? His work in attack wasn't the best, he could have straightened us up a couple of times but apart from that I don't see it.

But it's not like he was any worse, than say, McManus was today. But everyone loves Jimmy Mac.....

I compare Boyd to how Gidley gets viewed. It only takes one mistake for everyone to jump on board and say how shit he is.

Boyd has been better for us than you say Raider. Not as good as I had hoped but still not terrible. He picked up his form about halfway through last year and since then I would describe him as being ok with flashes of really good stuff. He's third behind Mullen and Snowden in the Dally M count as far as Knights players go so he is doing some good stuff.

The biggest problem I have with him is that the money he is on, we are entitled to a bit better from him considering what we are paying him.

Isn't that the whole point? That IS the problem with him. I don't think too many people would suggest that Boyd is a poor footballer. Not too many genuinely rubbish players represent this Queensland team. It's all about value for money. We don't get anything close to it.

I look at this way: what would I prefer to have at the club?

a) Boyd and Scott, or
b) Naiqama and Glenn Stewart / Luke Lewis (this combo might even cost less)

I think the totals would add up to something pretty similar, not different enough to worry about at least. I believe that Kev will absolutely excel at NRL level as soon as he gets an extended run. And he plays like a natural fullback. I don't think we would lose anything at all by swapping Darius with Kev right now, in fact.

But their prices are worlds apart, and that money could be getting spent elsewhere. For me, it would be spent on any of the best attacking right-side backrowers in the game to play inside Gagai and Uate. That's my number formula to help us score more points from strong positions.

Unfortunately we've ended up with less than what we paid for, in my opinion.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Isn't that the whole point? That IS the problem with him. I don't think too many people would suggest that Boyd is a poor footballer. Not too many genuinely rubbish players represent this Queensland team. It's all about value for money. We don't get anything close to it.

a) Boyd and Scott, or

I think the totals would add up to something pretty similar, not different enough to worry about at least. I believe that Kev will absolutely excel at NRL level as soon as he gets an extended run. And he plays like a natural fullback. I don't think we would lose anything at all by swapping Darius with Kev right now, in fact.

But their prices are worlds apart, and that money could be getting spent elsewhere. For me, it would be spent on any of the best attacking right-side backrowers in the game to play inside Gagai and Uate. That's my number formula to help us score more points from strong positions.

Kev is a great little player but his decision making and technique are still a bit shaky in defence

perverse

Referee
Is having an IQ roughly comparable to the lint inside your average belly-button as blissful as I imagine it being, broncos2010?

K-Man

Bench
oh dam there is another origin and test player to thrown in the scrap pile as soon as you lose a game alongside club legend gidley.

But hey lets forget about the games he sets up 2-3 tries and wins the knights the game who cares about that.

At what probably takes up a figure scarily close to $1million a season out of our cap, yes I would throw them both on the 'scrap pile' if I could start all over again with that money to spend.

It's time you learnt what 'value for money' actually means - and while you're at it try brushing up on punctuation. And finally, f$&* off and talk about your own club somewhere.

Rod

Bench

a) Boyd and Scott, or

Yeah you're probably right. I guess if the question is simply are we getting our money's worth with Boyd the answer so far is no.

I still think the way he presents himself makes it seem worse though. His demeanour makes him a lot easier to criticise and I just found it strange when I watch a game like Sunday's and there's another string of posts queuing up to bash him when I thought he went ok. He made 8 tackle busts and ran for over 100m. Like I said earlier he could have straightened up our backline plays but for some reason our whole backline seemed a bit slow and stagnant on Sunday (probably largely due to the holding down of the Storm to get their line set).

perverse

Referee
good to see it's not just me!
How long is the bloke contracted for?
2 more seasons... although allegedly Bennett was quoted as saying that Darius is really happy and content in Newcastle and that he'd be odds-on to stay once his contract expires. Would be the first time I've ever been disturbed to hear that about a marquee player of ours. Hopefully it's just Bennett blowing smoke up what he suspects is an accepting public's arsehole.

Rod

Bench
Not exactly on-topic but what chance to we give of Wayne staying on perhaps an extra year or two?

The reason I think it could be a bit more likely than people think is he said a couple of weeks ago that we will look to make big movements in the player market for 2015. If we did make a couple of quality signings perhaps he would want more than 1 year with them? I could see him signing an extension if he thought we were close to winning a comp in 2016.

If that were to happen Darius would stay also you would think.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
It pains me to say it, but I agree with trollboy2010 on this one. On the weekend Boyd was too much of a passenger, however before that he was playing an influential role in the team winning games of late. It's interesting how opinions on players change so much on a week to week basis around here.