What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer statue unveiled at Suncorp Stadium

beave

Coach
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-suncorp-stadium/story-e6freoof-1226294458722

493419-lockyer-statue.jpg

TWO-year-old Dan Carey knew exactly why he was at Suncorp Stadium today.

"To see Darren," he said.

And so were the 200 other people that milled at the northern end of the stadium to see the unveiling of former Broncos captain Darren Lockyer's statue.

When the 200kg bronze masterpiece designed by Phil Piperides was shown to the crowd they erupted into cheers and applause and the man himself was honoured.

"I see he's been generous in the hair department," Lockyer joked about his bronze counterpart.

"Being here today, I'm still trying comprehend that for the last 18 years I lived my dream of playing rugby league.

"This statue will remind me of what the game and the people have given me.

"It belongs to you, the people."

Darren Lockyer statue unveiled

Premier Anna Bligh was on hand to help Lockyer and couldn't wait to remove the blue cover.

493393-lockyer-statue.jpg

"What a very special day for Queensland," Ms Bligh said.

"Today is Locky's day and Locky we salute you. You've made every one of us a proud Queenslander."

493396-lockyer-statue.jpg

Katrina Carey said she brought her young son down at 6.30am to guarantee themselves a front row spot.

"It's great to see him recognised for what he does," the Aspley resident said.

"Wally Lewis' statue has been here for a while now and Darren is just as good if not better."

Fans were outside the stadium from as early as 5am.

Snappy

Coach
They should have done it at 5:30 pm this arvo rather than at 7:00 am. Heaps more people (including me)could have been there before entering the ground for the game.

But anyways, Nice one Locky !

Haffa

They should have done it at 5:30 pm this arvo rather than at 7:00 am. Heaps more people (including me)could have been there before entering the ground for the game.

But anyways, Nice one Locky !

But that would mean Anna Bligh wouldn't get a full days coverage with Lockyer.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Seriously tho - I give it a week before some farkwit graffitis it

Not in QLD mate. They'd go ape shit. I'd do it if I still worked my previous job though. Brisbane office was 50m from the gate.

Also, in line with Grimesy's post. Will they give him a lap of honour before the game and will 9 do another puff piece?

I'd say good chance on both accounts.

bottle

Coach
Who is this Lockyear fellow of whom you speak? Is he as good as Andrew Johns?

(Sits back with popcorn and awaits tumult)

StormHi

Juniors
I would take a dump on it if I thought the Qld cops would leave my teeth intact :)

Hate him so much :x