What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

lol, show me one business that isn't scared of bad publicity, especially a sports business. Media control public perception which controls Govt power which controls purse strings.

This guy managed to bring down his whole company with one piece of bad publicity:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1573380/Doing-a-Ratner-and-other-famous-gaffes.html

I don't think there's any question that a negative image and bad publicity is bad for the game. The question is whether the changes that have been made and will be made in future will have the desired effect.

What's in doubt is if these changes will do anything to diminish/correct the bad publicity and poor image.

For any of this to work out how the administration and fans want it to work out then it's crucial that the media get on board, start supporting and bringing awareness to the good of the game, and stop exploiting and creating controversies to sell papers. I don't have much confidence that that's going to happen.

We're pissing in the wind and there's an obvious danger that we start on a slippery slope.

taipan

Referee
I don't think there's any question that a negative image and bad publicity is bad for the game. The question is whether the changes that have been made and will be made in future will have the desired effect.

What's in doubt is if these changes will do anything to diminish/correct the bad publicity and poor image.

For any of this to work out how the administration and fans want it to work out then it's crucial that the media get on board, start supporting and bringing awareness to the good of the game, and stop exploiting and creating controversies to sell papers. I don't have much confidence that that's going to happen.

We're pissing in the wind and there's an obvious danger that we start on a slippery slope.

The sooner the ARLC gets its media unit in place,the better.Then they can send out more positive stories,than the garbage lot we get from the Telegraph.
The way I see it,punches will still happen guys get 10 minutes,big deal.
It still happens although its more of a touch up in fumbleball.

The biggest problem we have ATM is the clowns such as Tamou,G Burgess and the NRL's version of Bananas in Pyjamas (Ferguson and Dugan)The IQ combined of those two, would be lucky to reach double figures.

That's right, the NRL need to reign in the media somehow. Because otherwise for all the changes the game makes there are always going to be dickheads and actions which will bring the game into disrepute. Unless the media are going to be reasonable any changes are ultimately futile, I think.

Patorick

Staff member
That's right, the NRL need to reign in the media somehow. Because otherwise for all the changes the game makes there are always going to be dickheads and actions which will bring the game into disrepute. Unless the media are going to be reasonable any changes are ultimately futile, I think.
How?

The traditional way to control the media is to pay them off. Media make most their money from advertisers and the way big business get the media to toe the line is by throwing advertising bucks at them. The media, broadly speaking, are less inclined to go after a product or exploit a controversy if it hurts their relationship with crucial advertisers/industries. If you pay a companies wages they're inclined to support you. Similar principle with government/politicians acting on behalf of big business and certain industries.

How the NRL do that? I don't think they can.

Being adversarial with the media could help. The game ought to ban players for getting pissed and destroying property or assaulting women, and there ought to be some consistent punishment for punching as it's outside the laws of the game, but at the same time let's be clear in saying f**k the media and haughty parents. Let's be realistic in that these things won't better the games image because the media are still their to chuck dirt on our names about other shit, because it's in their nature to do so.

I just feel as a sport we need to be calling people on their nonsense and elitism. Critics of the game are peddling their filth and doing so without challenge. People in the game with power and influence, the ones who should be fighting our corner, they aren't fighting back. If our sports administration were an individual it would be Nate Myles, stood there hands down, hoping to absorb punches like a f**kwit. What Dave Smith and his buddies and almost everyone in league with a voice are doing is appeasing the enemies of rugby league. Too scared or inherently stupid to stand-up to them. It's one of the reasons I won't ever celebrate Dave Smith, even if I agree with what he's doing, because the fact of the matter is he's only doing it in response to media hysteria. These are changes he could have made before the season started, he didn't. They aren't his changes, the media has made these changes, he's simply overseen them. You could make Bunniesman the CEO and he'd have made the same changes.

Challenging the media, if even a little, would help the game imo. Right now everything is one sided. A strong media unit as Taipan mentioned can do a lot. There's got to be some balance here, whether it's simply highlighting all the positive the game does, or taking certain journos and outlets to task when they make stuff up and talk profound bollocks.

I hate Scientology but you've got to give credit where it's due, they're not scared of getting their hands dirty. If we had an nth of their tenacity, minus the widespread illegalities and lunacy, we'd be off to a good start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol, I guess the young lads hadn't heard, good punch up in the u20's today. Wests number 19 was well out of control.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Lol, I guess the young lads hadn't heard, good punch up in the u20's today. Wests number 19 was well out of control.

Watched it. Referee was spot on sin binned two and sent off 2 including the pork chop Nathan brown for wests who should get a long stint on the sideline for bringing the game into disripute. It really is that simple march players who fight no matter what the grade

Strong chance the media will make a meal of this incident

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watched it. Referee was spot on sin binned two and sent off 2 including the pork chop Nathan brown for wests who should get a long stint on the sideline for bringing the game into disripute. It really is that simple march players who fight no matter what the grade

Yep good fight, good ref'ing of it, how it should be!

Had to laugh at brown, kept running after the 13 and kept getting punched in the head, he might want to think about throwing some if he is going to run in lol.

NrlCoach

Juniors

Strong chance the media will make a meal of this incident
yes they will because we got weak merkins still ruining our game. we have become the the media bitch since they influence the ARLC in banning the shoulder charge.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Whats Smith doing about crowds.

He hasn't got a magic wand teddyboy. I would say his focus is on getting the finances and governance in order; Greenburg and those on the football and marketing side of the management will implement the policies to achieve the strategic goals that Smith laid out.

To expect instant improvements in crowds because we have a commission is insanse. Crowd problems are deep rooted and likely more to do with the culture in NSW and QLD than anything else

skeepe

Immortal
Smith really needs to do something about the standard of refereeing. Adam Devcich was absolutely abominable tonight and directly decided the result of the game.

I'm f**king sick of seeing referees decide matches. It's happened far too often.

Teddyboy

First Grade
He hasn't got a magic wand teddyboy. I would say his focus is on getting the finances and governance in order; Greenburg and those on the football and marketing side of the management will implement the policies to achieve the strategic goals that Smith laid out.

To expect instant improvements in crowds because we have a commission is insanse. Crowd problems are deep rooted and likely more to do with the culture in NSW and QLD than anything else

Was the Bulldogs v Rooster's game a cheap ticket affair.

Smith really needs to do something about the standard of refereeing. Adam Devcich was absolutely abominable tonight and directly decided the result of the game.

I'm f**king sick of seeing referees decide matches. It's happened far too often.
Coincidentally almost exactly as often as the Faders lose it seems.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I just had the weirdest flashback. isnt this the exact same complaint that is brought out every single year, regardless of what the people in charge do.

One might even be fooled into believing that its not a problem with the refs so much as an ingrained desire to bitch about said refs.

Ill me guess, you think it would be better if they "went back to the way things used to be *nostalgic sigh*"

maybe, just maybe, the decisions can never be ABSOLUTELY correct and instead they are 50/50 calls based on opinion. The ref is not wrong just because you disagree with him, all that proves is that there is a difference of opinions and, guess what, his opinion is most often just as valid as yours.