What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Garbler

Juniors
Yes. That's exactly why people who don't normally watch RL watch Origin. If you think otherwise you have NFI.

So I must have NFI if I think the 400,000 odd Victorian viewers will not bugger off once they realise fighting is no longer sanctioned. Let's say Game 2 may get the same numbers (or more) because they are still expecting a fight. But Game 3 - lets revisit this and see who is right.

And if you think mandatory sin bins for ANYONE who throws a punch isn't going to turn it into a VFL jersey-grab-fest you really, really have NFI.

I have never watched VFL so the comparison means nothing to me. I watch League because I think its a superior game to AFL - not because it doesn't have a "jersey-grab-fest". But hey feel free to enjoy the heck of ariel ping ping if they every allow fighting...

So I must have NFI if I think the 400,000 odd Victorian viewers will not bugger off once they realise fighting is no longer sanctioned. Let's say Game 2 may get the same numbers (or more) because they are still expecting a fight. But Game 3 - lets revisit this and see who is right.

I have never watched VFL so the comparison means nothing to me. I watch League because I think its a superior game to AFL - not because it doesn't have a "jersey-grab-fest". But hey feel free to enjoy the heck of ariel ping ping if they every allow fighting...
You're a tard. You bang on about growing the game but ignore the fact that Origin is the MAIN weapon in the fight to grow the sport, and is working. But you want to change the product because it MIGHT have an impact on junior numbers. Or it MIGHT not see numbers drop. But you don't know.

Victorians and other fringe fans clearly watch Origin for the altercations. That's why EVERY Origin promo, story, film clip etc etc that is ever produced to promote Origin includes things like the 1995 brawl. That is how it has been promoted for years and years. And the fans flock in. But you think it has nothing to do with the reputation for physical altercations. You really don't have a clue. And if you think that viewer figures in game three this year will tell the story you really are a clown. Over time, when the shirt grabbing and pushing becomes prevalent people will see what it has become and those attracted by EVERY promo they have ever seen will drift away. Just like all the people who are attracted by promos showing shoulder charges over many years will now see that the thing that first got their attention no longer exists.

But that's okay because in your world they will then rush out and get their kid to play junior rugby league, the sport they no longer watch. Genius.

As for your nonsensical comments about VFL, you seem to suggest you have never watched it but then make a comparsion to RL which proves you have. And that was the most intelligent part of the paragraph.

Garbler

Juniors
One of the most celebrated Origin incidents ever. Did junior participation drop as a result? Did sponsors walk away?

If it happened again yeah maybe it would. So I presume administration stepped in to make sure it wouldn't. Cause you know sponsors giving up on NRL clubs is totally unheard of; take your head out of Gallen's @rse.

How do you know what sponsors tell administration behind closed doors? Oh you don't. Oh well guess you will just have to give the administration the benefit of the doubt. And if you don't, doesn't matter cause the game is going to grow regardless... :) Enjoy your history books...

Last edited:
If it happened again yeah maybe it would. So I presume administration stepped in to make sure it wouldn't. Cause you know sponsors giving up on NRL clubs is totally unheard of; take your head out of Gallen's @rse.

How do you know what sponsors tell administration behind closed doors? Oh you don't. Oh well guess you will just have to give the administration the benefit of the doubt. And if you don't, doesn't matter cause the game is going to grow regardless... :) Enjoy your history books...
It's easy to know when sponsors walk away. Because they are sponsoring one minute and gone the next. Did that happen? Has it happened now? Would sponsors rather be associated with an event that attracts 4.5m viwers or would they rather change the product that attracts that audience and risk losing a % of those fans?

Seeing as your an expert on what sponsors want you can answer these questions. And as for books, I would be less suprised if you claimed not to have seen one than your claim to not have seen VFL.

magpie4ever

First Grade
You do know that senior rugby league rules are nothing like junior rugby league rules and so there is absolutely no reason for senior rules to be changed for the sake of the junior game. The kind of mongs who won't let their kids play RL because of what they see in Origin wouldn't let them play anyway. If they did they'd know that junior league is at least as safe as any other sport.

Mate, can you stop using that term - it is disgraceful and an insult to people with disabiilities.

Um. No. No I can't. But I can see why people with disabilities might be insulted to be compared with some people on here. Not that I have ever called anyone with a disability a mong mind you. You seem to be the one making that link.

betcats

Referee
He is just another re-active adminastrator imo, he hasnt proven much better then gallop yet considering the extra resources he has to play with.

Yep. Considering he hasn't got Murdoch's hand up his arse he should be doing much, much better than Gallop. But then so should the whole commission, not just him. Like I said earlier, under the old admin we were a puppet of one media organisation. Now we seem to be run by all media organisations, especially the ones who hate RL.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Um. No. No I can't. But I can see why people with disabilities might be insulted to be compared with some people on here. Not that I have ever called anyone with a disability a mong mind you. You seem to be the one making that link.

What do you believe the term stands for?

super_coach

First Grade
As I said The Biffo is for the bogans, the same people who go out on the weekend get smashed off their faces and end up in St Vincents. We have to move away from that stuff. Okay it might send ratings but that dosnt make it right

NrlCoach

Juniors
He is just another re-active adminastrator imo, he hasnt proven much better then gallop yet considering the extra resources he has to play with.

You better run. BM and his friends are coming for you.

simpsons_angry_mob.jpg

Spot On

Coach
As I said The Biffo is for the bogans, the same people who go out on the weekend get smashed off their faces and end up in St Vincents. We have to move away from that stuff. Okay it might send ratings but that dosnt make it right

Slightly different. NRL players are sober when playing rugby league. I can see your point - just - but it is a poor one.

betcats

Referee
I dont really care about the rule,players will still throw punches, what bothers me is if gallen doesnt punch nate myles this rule doesnt happen.

So does the game really need it? Or is this a knee jerk reaction to media pressure about one fight in a game that is marketed as a war all year?

Next year the footy show and other league shows will use the Gallen footafecand other origin fight footage to promote the series, it will be talked about and shown in the build up for origin series for years.

While we're censoring words some people choose to take offense to I'd like to speak on behalf of mutes (because, you know, they can't speak for themselves) and complain most vigorously about the "dumbest players in the NRL" thread. For people with a different ability, um the ability to not speak, it is thoroughly offensive that they be compared to Blake Ferguson or Ben Roberts.

Latest posts