What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Garbler

Juniors
You're a tard. You bang on about growing the game but ignore the fact that Origin is the MAIN weapon in the fight to grow the sport, and is working. But you want to change the product because it MIGHT have an impact on junior numbers. Or it MIGHT not see numbers drop. But you don't know.

Victorians and other fringe fans clearly watch Origin for the altercations. That's why EVERY Origin promo, story, film clip etc etc that is ever produced to promote Origin includes things like the 1995 brawl. That is how it has been promoted for years and years. And the fans flock in. But you think it has nothing to do with the reputation for physical altercations. You really don't have a clue. And if you think that viewer figures in game three this year will tell the story you really are a clown. Over time, when the shirt grabbing and pushing becomes prevalent people will see what it has become and those attracted by EVERY promo they have ever seen will drift away. Just like all the people who are attracted by promos showing shoulder charges over many years will now see that the thing that first got their attention no longer exists.

But that's okay because in your world they will then rush out and get their kid to play junior rugby league, the sport they no longer watch. Genius.

As for your nonsensical comments about VFL, you seem to suggest you have never watched it but then make a comparsion to RL which proves you have. And that was the most intelligent part of the paragraph.

I'm ignoring that Origin is important to growing the game? LOL

Let me make it simple for you: You claim the nature of Origin has been so horribly altered by D. Smith that it will lose viewers over time. I don't happen to agree. I think Origin will only get stronger, and will continue to draw more people to the game. I could be wrong, but more than likely you are going off your ability to rant about tards & clowns.

I'm ignoring that Origin is important to growing the game? LOL

Let me make it simple for you: You claim the nature of Origin has been so horribly altered by D. Smith that it will lose viewers over time. I don't happen to agree. I think Origin will only get stronger, and will continue to draw more people to the game. I could be wrong, but more than likely you are going off your ability to rant about tards & clowns.
So you don't know.

I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that people watch Origin for the blues. Take out the blues, lose viewers.

You're basing your thoughts on..... well, f**k all basically. And you admit as much.

That's the kind of sound argument you expect from the bloke who said "but MMA isn't popular" and thinks that's a cogent argument (but ignores that fact that lame sports like netball or badminton or tiddlywinks are even less popular).

magpie4ever

First Grade
While we're censoring words some people choose to take offense to I'd like to speak on behalf of mutes (because, you know, they can't speak for themselves) and complain most vigorously about the "dumbest players in the NRL" thread. For people with a different ability, um the ability to not speak, it is thoroughly offensive that they be compared to Blake Ferguson or Ben Roberts.

The term is mute - it was changed for the reasonoing you state above.

Probably hard, but why not try to be a bit high brow; you can still get stuck into people without using "piss weak" low brow bogan terminology.

Just my opinion.

Garbler

Juniors
It's easy to know when sponsors walk away. Because they are sponsoring one minute and gone the next. Did that happen? Has it happened now? Would sponsors rather be associated with an event that attracts 4.5m viwers or would they rather change the product that attracts that audience and risk losing a % of those fans?

Seeing as your an expert on what sponsors want you can answer these questions. And as for books, I would be less suprised if you claimed not to have seen one than your claim to not have seen VFL.

Oh wow. Thanks for such enlightening views on how to spot when sponsors walk away. I said how do you know what sponsors are saying behind close doors. But thanks for sharing your intellect who knew that when a sponsor is sponsoring one minute but not the next - that is when a sponsor has walked away. Well done! :clap:

I said I gave the NRL admin the benefit of the doubt, let me expand on this slowly for you: They. have. a. lot. more. communications. with. sponsors. But then again you do have the uncanny ability to know when a sponsor walks or not! Maybe u are in the right :sarcasm: :lol:

Jono1987

Juniors
Dave Smith is going to turn into Roger Goodell.

Fans will dislike him, for all the changes he will bring down. But club bosses and associated administrators will like him. Right or wrong that is more important for him.

P.s He is making all the right decisions thus far. Doesn't matter whether they're reactionary or not.

Garbler

Juniors
So you don't know.

I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that people watch Origin for the blues. Take out the blues, lose viewers.

You're basing your thoughts on..... well, f**k all basically. And you admit as much.

That's the kind of sound argument you expect from the bloke who said "but MMA isn't popular" and thinks that's a cogent argument (but ignores that fact that lame sports like netball or badminton or tiddlywinks are even less popular).

Hahaha and you do know. Oh God. You actually think you can tell the future. Remember how you called me a clown? :lol:

Hate to break it to you... most people don't watch for the blues. You know that half a million Victorian's you mentioned earlier. There proxy QLD supporters. I suspected you were living in some sort of Sydney centric bubble earlier when you claimed Gallen's actions were celebrated. Oh well good luck in life East Coast Tiger, your going to need it!

betcats

Referee
P.s Doesn't matter whether they're reactionary or not.

Bullshit, if Dave thought the game needed this he would of changed it earlier surely.

A great administrator would not have to make many good reactionary decisions imo, they would already be made!

LESStar58

Referee
All those saying the changes are good for the kiddies read this document.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NationalSafeplayCode2013.pdf

This code has been in force for close to 20 years.

The whole argument of mummy not letting her kids play because of what happens in the NRL is a load of bullshit.

The mums who won't let their kids play would have never allowed their kids to play regardless of what happens in the NRL

Good post. And its a hell of a thing to try and enforce.

Shoulder charge was banned even at under 18s until the blanket rule came in.

I thought we were done with reactionary decision making when we got rid of gallop?

Smith looks like more of the same where that's concerned.

elbusto

Coach
Smith is making the right decisions. The game is bigger than the individual and certain individuals lack the capacity to understand this.

How a player selected to play State of Origin, the pinnacle of our game, allowed this to happen is beyond me.

These guys play a great game for great money and expect they can act like idiots,

They have a responsibility to their Club, their State, and to the game and its followers (us) to set an example so others will follow them.

This is a day we had to have so we can move forward.

If you want idiots to throw punches, take cheap shots, get pissed and do stupid things in the public eye then follow something else.

The future of Rugby League is not going to welcome that form of behaviour.

The NRL's Code of Conduct has been out there for any number of years. Some of these idiots need to realise it, abide by it or go and do something else.

And still people are regurgitating the image mantra, and still these people won't present evidence that going the route of pleasing middle class f**kwits will work.

The people who last year or last week found excuses to stop their children playing it will continue to find reasons to stop their children playing it. Post facts which say otherwise or stfu.

Garbler

Juniors
All those saying the changes are good for the kiddies read this document.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NationalSafeplayCode2013.pdf

This code has been in force for close to 20 years.

The whole argument of mummy not letting her kids play because of what happens in the NRL is a load of bullshit.

The mums who won't let their kids play would have never allowed their kids to play regardless of what happens in the NRL

Here we go. Another pompous claim backed up with vitriol and little substance.

It must be BS cause every mum who (never) considered RL was aware of the document and choose otherwise :sarcasm::lol: Gallen fighting without a sin bin in Origin speaks louder than any piece of paper & some words.

Seems all the rednecks love to frame RL as it used to be as just misunderstood by over protective parents holding a grudge against the game. Seems your all holding a grudge against the rest of society. You know this thing called society? You do know it is made up of more than just p!ss weak soccer mums don't you? Or are you all so socially depraved & too busy huffing on each others farts to understand what is happening around you? Let me help you, here start with this:

Its 2013.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I think a new Rugby rebellion should happen for both codes as it seems League and Union are being f**ked over silly and soon we have a hybrid sport of Soccer/GAA Football/AFL.

Here we go. Another pompous claim backed up with vitriol and little substance.

It must be BS cause every mum who (never) considered RL was aware of the document and choose otherwise :sarcasm::lol: Gallen fighting without a sin bin in Origin speaks louder than any piece of paper & some words.

Seems all the rednecks love to frame RL as it used to be as just misunderstood by over protective parents holding a grudge against the game. Seems your all holding a grudge against the rest of society. You know this thing called society? You do know it is made up of more than just p!ss weak soccer mums don't you? Or are you all so socially depraved & too busy huffing on each others farts to understand what is happening around you? Let me help you, here start with this:

Its 2013.

It's easy to frame rugby league in Australia as being treated unfavourably, unduly, because it is. It's clear as day that the dismissive attitudes toward the game go beyond the on-field product.

It's 2013 and still you right-wing hicks deny widespread and institutional racism, classism, sexism, homophobia exists in society. Get with the f**king times. This isn't the 1930s, in 2013 you're going to be called on your prehistoric attitudes and elitism.

taipan

Referee
Smith is making the right decisions. The game is bigger than the individual and certain individuals lack the capacity to understand this.

How a player selected to play State of Origin, the pinnacle of our game, allowed this to happen is beyond me.

These guys play a great game for great money and expect they can act like idiots,

They have a responsibility to their Club, their State, and to the game and its followers (us) to set an example so others will follow them.

This is a day we had to have so we can move forward.

If you want idiots to throw punches, take cheap shots, get pissed and do stupid things in the public eye then follow something else.

The future of Rugby League is not going to welcome that form of behaviour.

The NRL's Code of Conduct has been out there for any number of years. Some of these idiots need to realise it, abide by it or go and do something else.

Agree.I am over the fists crapola.Rather see a bootlace tackle ona runaway winger,or a bell ringer of a full on tackle,or the evasion of a Slater et al.

Times have changed with the new technologies available for Tv,ever spit every snot,every ball grab is there for all to see,and a fist to the face sticks out like the proverbial.
When parents at rl junior games think it is a good idea to penalise the biff,then one has to take note.their kids are the game's future.

Smith has also been on the front foot immediately suspending dopey Ferguson and Burgess plus a decent fine as he did with air head Tamou.
I am sick to the balls of these clowns doing what they do offield tarnishing the game I love and have followed for years,to give other codes followers a lift up.
I buy a season ticket to see 13 players on the field and not some sitting on the sideline because of being p*ssed and carrying on like loons in public.
The game is tough enough as it is.