What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Yes.

For all the talk of the game going soft what Merrin did was genuinely poor form imo

If he punches Tate harder it's another Danny Williams. Is that how we distinguish these things? King hits are ok if it's a weak shot?

Refs stuffed up, he should be out a few weeks at least.

Same story with tackling too, that more often than not comes down to how hard you're able to hit someone rather than your intent and the actual action in itself.

Merrin needs to consider himself lucky that he can't punch very hard. I know it's a bit early but I get that feeling that he'll get an easy ride for all the bullshit rhetoric the media and the NRL have been putting out after the Gallen fight

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Refs stuffed up, he should be out a few weeks at least.

Same story with tackling too, that more often than not comes down to how hard you're able to hit someone rather than your intent and the actual action in itself.

Merrin needs to consider himself lucky that he can't punch very hard. I know it's a bit early but I get that feeling that he'll get an easy ride for all the bullshit rhetoric the media and the NRL have been putting out after the Gallen fight

This is why I'm not all pro-biff. There's no consistency in the application of this stuff. If someone got really badly hurt or killed (don't want to be tarred with the "hysterical" brush but it's a simple fact that it can happen) the same "pro-biff" people would be baying for blood. It's like it's all fun and games as long as no-one can throw a good one.

Personally I'm a huge boxing fan, can watch MMA (prefer boxing) and am entertained by biff, but the pro-biff majority in league just don't make no sense.

elbusto

Coach
FFS the players knew the deal before the game. Merrin crossed the line for no good reason. Players then chose to pour in and throw a few more and got ten minutes as well.

It was already a great game. Did it need a fight? Maybe a scrap but once the punches were thrown it was open slather.

Sending an even number of players off for ten minutes was a reasonable outcome. I would have preferred one each but that is how it goes. It had no effect on the result.

Get over it. I want to watch a game of skill. Not cheap shots. There are no skilful punches or high tackles in footy.

Just lazy players flailing arms around.

Like game one - correct result and a lesson learned about the future of acceptable conduct.

This is why I'm not all pro-biff. There's no consistency in the application of this stuff. If someone got really badly hurt or killed (don't want to be tarred with the "hysterical" brush but it's a simple fact that it can happen) the same "pro-biff" people would be baying for blood. It's like it's all fun and games as long as no-one can throw a good one.

Personally I'm a huge boxing fan, can watch MMA (prefer boxing) and am entertained by biff, but the pro-biff majority in league just don't make no sense.

Boxing and MMA are all fun and games until someone gets badly hurt or killed too, aren't they?

I don't advocate widespread fighting, and I've always argued against people calling for 5 minutes in the bin or hockey-like fights because that's obviously daft, but a handful of fights/brawls a season isn't the end of the world and it's entertaining.

If two adults consent to fight then good luck to them. The possibility that one of them might die in a freak accident doesn't unnerve me because ultimately the same argument could be made about running into someone and tackling them by itself, and I don't doubt there are advanced pacifists out there already making it.

I enjoy the emotion and rawness of a little rugby/league biff. You don't really find it in combat sports, or hockey imo for that matter.

King hitting someone obviously isn't on though.

FFS the players knew the deal before the game. Merrin crossed the line for no good reason. Players then chose to pour in and throw a few more and got ten minutes as well.

It was already a great game. Did it need a fight? Maybe a scrap but once the punches were thrown it was open slather.

Sending an even number of players off for ten minutes was a reasonable outcome. I would have preferred one each but that is how it goes. It had no effect on the result.

Get over it. I want to watch a game of skill. Not cheap shots. There are no skilful punches or high tackles in footy.

Just lazy players flailing arms around.

Like game one - correct result and a lesson learned about the future of acceptable conduct.

But why would you even watch State of Origin if you were against cheap shots? Origin is cheap shot central, you see more cheap shots in origin than you would in a couple of rounds of NRL footy. Same story with fighting.

If I didn't want to see cheap shots and fighting I would boycott origin

elbusto

Coach
But why would you even watch State of Origin if you were against cheap shots? Origin is cheap shot central, you see more cheap shots in origin than you would in a couple of rounds of NRL footy. Same story with fighting.

If I didn't want to see cheap shots and fighting I would boycott origin
Because the games future is about the skills of the players and not the cheap shots.

Like all of us I have enjoyed its evolution and I like where it is heading.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I cant be bothered to argue, so just going to say that im glad that im on the side of the admin because they are right and they know they are right, theyre not going to back track.

but actually what the fight. the four guys throw punches, the rest just pull each other back spesifically so they would not get sent off. You cannot deny the ruling is working.

BunniesMan

Immortal
4 players were disgustingly selfish. Yes the instigator was bad but in this context retaliation is wrong. When you hit back you intentionally hurt your team just to make yourself feel better.

Anyone who cared about their team would literally sit on their hands if necessary. Taking one on the chin is worth it if you get the dumbarse on the other team binned and you don't let yourself get binned as well.

The rules is just fine. The players being so f**king stupid should not affect that.

The rule is good. The rule is here to stay.

Because the games future is about the skills of the players and not the cheap shots.

Like all of us I have enjoyed its evolution and I like where it is heading.

But where is it heading? I've watched my share of old origin games and it seems to me that there's more fighting in origin today than at any other time. The last 5 years has had guaranteed brawls. And relative to regular NRL then origin is a f**king travesty on the cheap shot front.

I still don't understand why you would watch a series that advocates thuggery and what you claim to dislike in the game.

I cant be bothered to argue, so just going to say that im glad that im on the side of the admin because they are right and they know they are right, theyre not going to back track.

but actually what the fight. the four guys throw punches, the rest just pull each other back spesifically so they would not get sent off. You cannot deny the ruling is working.

They're not right. Since the ban there's been two ugly brawls. Since the ban the negative media coverage has continued. Since the ban people still refuse to let their kids play the game.

The administration are proving themselves to be clueless. Gallop handled a hostile media better than Smith has up to now.

4 players were disgustingly selfish. Yes the instigator was bad but in this context retaliation is wrong. When you hit back you intentionally hurt your team just to make yourself feel better.

wtf-is-this-shit_640_417_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpeg

This f**king dipshit here. If I had the energy I'd go back to the last Rabbitohs - Sea Eagles game and find some contradictory shit you wrote in defence of Burgess but I can't be arsed

Spot On

Coach

Anyone who cared about their team would literally sit on their hands if necessary. Taking one on the chin is worth it if you get the dumbarse on the other team binned and you don't let yourself get binned as well.

The rules is just fine. The players being so f**king stupid should not affect that.

The rule is good. The rule is here to stay.

You said "the rule" will stop the punches though. Clearly it has not and clearly players don't care if they are sent off or suspended. The rule can stay forever but it will not stop the punches BM. Will not.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They're not right. Since the ban there's been two ugly brawls. Since the ban the negative media coverage has continued. Since the ban people still refuse to let their kids play the game.

The administration are proving themselves to be clueless. Gallop handled a hostile media better than Smith has up to now.

What people dont seem to undersand is that every rule change will invitably have a teething period. That is why they need to be strict on reffing it,vat least to begin with. They let the players know they are serious and the players change their style.

Its the same reason none of the promising rule changes in the past haven't worked. Think about any change to the obstruction rule. The reason so many penalties are given is because the players havent adjusted to the new rules, but the admin get scared and change it back because of the initial backlash.

And as for getting scared by the media, the proof that smith has balls is if he sticks with this until it has at least had a chance to work (and not changing it back just because people on sites like this complain). If, in 2 years, there are still fights like the U-20s one then mabye try something else, but until then he is going to hold his nerve.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You said "the rule" will stop the punches though. Clearly it has not and clearly players don't care if they are sent off or suspended. The rule can stay forever but it will not stop the punches BM. Will not.

It has been 2 weeks. Nothing has been CLEARLY proven yet.

Spot On

Coach
You blokes don't get it. The niggle tactics are going to really come to the fore now. More so than ever. Targeting the oppositions best player/s will have massive benefits in the course of a game now. This will create a new set of problems and a further change in refereeing style/interpretation.

BunniesMan

Immortal
wtf-is-this-shit_640_417_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpeg

This f**king dipshit here. If I had the energy I'd go back to the last Rabbitohs - Sea Eagles game and find some contradictory shit you wrote in defence of Burgess but I can't be arsed
It isn't contradictory when that was before the rule change ffs.

Now controlling your bloody temper and copping a busted lip or black eye and giving your team a 13 on 12 advantage is much better than letting your emotions go and hitting back and ensuring your team is as punished as the dickhead who started the fight.

Anyone who throws a punch now, instigator, self defender, third man in, fourth man in, they're all shit teammates who are letting their mates down.

It isn't contradictory when that was before the rule change ffs.

Now controlling your bloody temper and copping a busted lip or black eye and giving your team a 13 on 12 advantage is much better than letting your emotions go and hitting back and ensuring your team is as punished as the dickhead who started the fight.

Anyone who throws a punch now, instigator, self defender, third man in, fourth man in, they're all shit teammates who are letting their mates down.

What rule change? Punching has always been illegal you f**king numpty.

f**k.