What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

What people dont seem to undersand is that every rule change will invitably have a teething period. That is why they need to be strict on reffing it,vat least to begin with. They let the players know they are serious and the players change their style.

Its the same reason none of the promising rule changes in the past haven't worked. Think about any change to the obstruction rule. The reason so many penalties are given is because the players havent adjusted to the new rules, but the admin get scared and change it back because of the initial backlash.

And as for getting scared by the media, the proof that smith has balls is if he sticks with this until it has at least had a chance to work (and not changing it back just because people on sites like this complain). If, in 2 years, there are still fights like the U-20s one then mabye try something else, but until then he is going to hold his nerve.

You don't know what you're talking about, clearly. In Super League players are often given an automatic red card, gonski for the whole game, for throwing a punch, and you know what, there is every bit as much fighting in SL as in the NRL, probably more so over here tbh. I cited the example of rugby earlier in the thread also, where you see mad brawls, all-ins worse than you find in league, and they happen in spite of the hardline punishment.

Anybody who thinks that a sin bin for punching is going to have a meaningful impact on the occurrence of fights is an inbred. Anybody that thinks sin bin for fighting is going to have a meaningful impact on the image of the game is an inbred.

You guys are abominations. Kmav and bunniesman I sort of get, there's always that feeling they're wind up merchants, but I sense that you actually believe what you're saying :lol:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Dave Smith must hate Rugby League really with banning the shoulder charge and then the biff.
What next banning scoring for tries...the taff is a grade A merkin and so are the nanny state soccer loving mum's who the ARLC are so hell bent on trying to woo.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
It has been 2 weeks. Nothing has been CLEARLY proven yet.

Bullshit. Another example of a bloke who has not played league. Punches WILL be thrown in a sport like rugby league and a few words on paper will NOT prevent it. You're as naive as they come too. You and BM make a lovely pair.

skeepe

Immortal
It has been illegal but it has often been tolerated. The rulechange has been to stop tolerating it and actually punish the illegality.

That's not a rule change you idiot. All they are doing is actually enforcing the rules.

Punching has always been a binnable offence. They were just inconsistent in their application of it.

The only change has been to remove the inconsistent application of the rule.

skeepe

Immortal
Bullshit. Another example of a bloke who has not played league. Punches WILL be thrown in a sport like rugby league and a few words on paper will NOT prevent it. You're as naive as they come too. You and BM make a lovely pair.

And the offenders will go to the sin bin, as they should. It's happened for years, I don't understand why people are so surprised by it happening now.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Boxing and MMA are all fun and games until someone gets badly hurt or killed too, aren't they?

Boxing, for example, is on a different level of seriousness/intensity to rugby league, and so it should be. These guys know the risks they face. The whole attitude is different. You've got a ref in there whose job is to stop the fight as soon as things go too far and you've got combatants who (in theory) should have an advanced level of respect for their opponent and the risks they and their opponent face. A proper boxing fan gets excited about a brutal fight but at the same time expresses concern for the combatants, because that shit is serious. Repeatedly punching someone in the head is dangerous as f**k, much more dangerous than anything that can be done within the rules in rugby league.

In league you've got guys fighting wildly precisely because they're angry and have no respect for each other. No rules, no idea what they're doing. Now I know that experience shows it's rare for anyone to get badly hurt because with 26 blokes out there it invariably just becomes a shambles and nothing clean lands. Nevertheless, it's a very dangerous and uncontrolled environment and if you're actually making rules about this stuff, there's no way you can write them in a way where punching is acceptable.

I don't advocate widespread fighting, and I've always argued against people calling for 5 minutes in the bin or hockey-like fights because that's obviously daft, but a handful of fights/brawls a season isn't the end of the world and it's entertaining.

Agree that it's entertaining.

If two adults consent to fight then good luck to them. The possibility that one of them might die in a freak accident doesn't unnerve me because ultimately the same argument could be made about running into someone and tackling them by itself, and I don't doubt there are advanced pacifists out there already making it.

I enjoy the emotion and rawness of a little rugby/league biff. You don't really find it in combat sports, or hockey imo for that matter.

King hitting someone obviously isn't on though.

But this is where I struggle. Unlike boxing no-one is signing a contact to fight when they play rugby league. There's no consensus on what's acceptable and what isn't. You could argue both Gallen and Merrin perpetrated "king hits" because they punched blokes who weren't expecting the situation to escalate like that and weren't protecting themselves from a punch.

Often in fights it's really one bloke starts punching (someone always has to start) and the other bloke has to protect itself. That's not the same as "two adults consent to a fight".

Personally I enjoy the biff but I do think it's fair that if two blokes obviously "agree" to fight then they should be at the very least binned. If one clearly starts it by throwing without much provocation just bin him, his team deserves to be disadvantaged.

There's no need to go through every biff with a fine-tooth comb looking for people to bin, but if someone comes in throwing at an unsuspecting opposition player who hasn't thrown anything himself, bin him too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A better response if they are serious about stopping fights would have been a change in the rules that the person throwing the first punch in a situation like last night is red carded. The rest was just scuffling really and wouldn't have happened if Merrin hadn't thrown the first punches. Comes back to poor refs whichever way you look at it, if Gallen had been sin binned in origin 1 like he should have been then we wouldn't have this reactive farce. Lift your game refs!

As for bm suggesting a player should just stand there and get punched in the head until the ref blows his whistle or the assailant gets tired, pfffft.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Haha yeah, it looked like he had a prosthetic baby-arm fitted for the purposes of punching.

That said, it did draw blood. Must have nicked the huge artery that carries blood to Tate's jaw.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Haha yeah, it looked like he had a prosthetic baby-arm fitted for the purposes of punching.

That said, it did draw blood. Must have nicked the huge artery that carries blood to Tate's jaw.

Blood, I've seen more blood on a tamp(better not say it, but you know what I mean).

Seriously, the game is attempting to become a non-contact sport within a contact sport.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
A better response if they are serious about stopping fights would have been a change in the rules that the person throwing the first punch in a situation like last night is red carded. The rest was just scuffling really and wouldn't have happened if Merrin hadn't thrown the first punches. Comes back to poor refs whichever way you look at it, if Gallen had been sin binned in origin 1 like he should have been then we wouldn't have this reactive farce. Lift your game refs!

As for bm suggesting a player should just stand there and get punched in the head until the ref blows his whistle or the assailant gets tired, pfffft.

Ffs this isn't union, soccer or the ESL.

Players are sent off or sin binned, not given red or yellow cards.

Spot On

Coach
It has been illegal but it has often been tolerated. The rulechange has been to stop tolerating it and actually punish the illegality.

....and so now you can admit that you were terribly wrong and that punches will be thrown and the David Smith has not single handedly stopped fist fighting in rugby league. Instead, you meant that he has forced the refs to actually act when someone does throw a punch and this is what you should have written in the opening post.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I wonder how much money Dave Smith is on for f**king up a game he know's nothing about.

???

If a lot of people are walking away from the game it's a problem. If not then it is faux-outrage not unlike you would see on Twitter. I expect to see crowd numbers to be significantly different this weekend if it is an actual issue.

Boxing, for example, is on a different level of seriousness/intensity to rugby league, and so it should be. These guys know the risks they face. The whole attitude is different. You've got a ref in there whose job is to stop the fight as soon as things go too far and you've got combatants who (in theory) should have an advanced level of respect for their opponent and the risks they and their opponent face. A proper boxing fan gets excited about a brutal fight but at the same time expresses concern for the combatants, because that shit is serious. Repeatedly punching someone in the head is dangerous as f**k, much more dangerous than anything that can be done within the rules in rugby league.

Can't agree with that tbh. Never seen any real concern in boxing. I don't think you can have any meaningful level of concern for peoples health if you watch sports like rugby league and boxing. We're both complicit in supporting brain damage, amongst a host of other problems, whether we like it or not. Concern within reason, but not concern in a general sense. Being honest I think somebody who was truly concerned about health wouldn't watch sports of the nature of league and boxing.

People were calling for Gatti - Ward rematches at the same time as both were lying up in hospital beds from the previous bout!

In league you've got guys fighting wildly precisely because they're angry and have no respect for each other. No rules, no idea what they're doing. Now I know that experience shows it's rare for anyone to get badly hurt because with 26 blokes out there it invariably just becomes a shambles and nothing clean lands. Nevertheless, it's a very dangerous and uncontrolled environment and if you're actually making rules about this stuff, there's no way you can write them in a way where punching is acceptable.

I don't disagree there should be sin bins for fighting, if for no other reason than it brings a level of consistency that the game needs. I just think it's a folly that we're doing this to protect the games image and grow the game, or stop fights, or some other such bullshit, because I don't accept as valid the presupposition that the middle class and whoever else tend not to watch the game because of fighting, or because of shoulder charges. I don't believe it.

But this is where I struggle. Unlike boxing no-one is signing a contact to fight when they play rugby league. There's no consensus on what's acceptable and what isn't. You could argue both Gallen and Merrin perpetrated "king hits" because they punched blokes who weren't expecting the situation to escalate like that and weren't protecting themselves from a punch.

You could argue that but I'd say otherwise. When you push somebody and beckon them to fight you, you can't call it a king hit if the other guy obliges you and punches you in the head. If Myles wasn't expecting to be punched then tough luck for him.

Myles gave Gallen good reason to believe that he(Gallen) was about to be physically assaulted further than what he already had been. I could be off base here but even legally, if somebody assaults you(Myles pushing Gallen) and is verbally provocative/violent in doing so, coming forwards towards you, suggesting a more severe attack it coming, I think a court would agree it's an act of self-defence on most days.

I begrudgingly agree with some of your general points because they're just facts, in a lot of cases there isn't an agreement, nobody signed up to fight (okay, maybe Darcy Lussick did) and fighting can obviously be dangerous. But if I'm being honest I think the truth of it is that I don't really care. High shots are dangerous and people don't agree to them. I don't think either are an epidemic warranting all the attention it gets. Sin bins for people starting fights and stronger punishment for acts that go beyond that.