What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I see the NRLhave decided Fergo's 4 week suspension for something he claims not to have done is set to be extended for no reason other than David Smith is a merkin.

f**k you NRL.

He probably should have got involved in the program as soon as he became aware that his return to the game hinged on it. Only person to blame is ferguson.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All this hooha over fighting came about because of one poor ref decision. Gallen gets sin binned, no media beat up, no NRL knee jerk reaction, no continued front pages every time two players go the biff. The NRL just needed to come out at the time and say the ref stuffed up and got it wrong and Gallen should have been banned. Would have put paid to all this nonsense. Instead they just kept adding fuel to the fire.

The shoulder charge ban is a joke and a knee jerk pandering to one or two Dr's who with zero evidence of increased risk got into the nrl's ear. I had hoped the gallop reactive management had gone with him but clearly it still remains.

Garbler

Juniors

Who are these "outsiders" you speak of injecting cash into the game?

Well according to Gould's frame of reference everybody not a player or ex-player is an outsider. And I think its pretty safe assumption that there a lot of people who have not played the game who pay clubs and the NRL money to have their businesses receive something from the game in some way (promotion with sponsors, broadcasting rights in Channel 9s case etc etc).

So to be happy to accept money from "outsiders" but to not expect any influence from them is pretty frigging naive. Gould lives in a fairly land of consensus where players & ex-players know all & he is their self-appointed spokesperson.

But there are numerous invested parties that someone like D. Smith would be listening to; not just self interested media personalities like the Goulds & Hadleys of the world. And if D. Smith is upsetting those lot than it's probably a good indication that he's doing something right.

Spot On

Coach
I can see your point. However, if "outsiders" choose to put money toward the game they should know very well what the fabric of the game is before putting their money in. If they want to change it, then they need to put in significant amounts to "buy" the game. I think Murdoch already had a go at that. And here we are.

Gould is hinting that we are going down the path of changing the fabric of the game - physicality - to appease the "soccer mums" and the like. He has indicated there has been a major shift away from the violence in the 70's and that it is now a very clean sport. Junior footy very clean and safe. Shoulder charges outlawed. However, it is still a brutal, body contact sport and we can't and do not want to change it any more. What other changes will the "outsiders" want to make?????? No tackling?????

Last edited:

Garbler

Juniors
All this hooha over fighting came about because of one poor ref decision. Gallen gets sin binned, no media beat up, no NRL knee jerk reaction, no continued front pages every time two players go the biff. The NRL just needed to come out at the time and say the ref stuffed up and got it wrong and Gallen should have been banned. Would have put paid to all this nonsense. Instead they just kept adding fuel to the fire.

Yep Gallen ruined it by being a wank. And if D. Smith had come out and said the refs were wrong and should have binned Gallen he would have the sydney media and NSWRL calling for his head, let alone put the SOO concept in jeopardy with claims of sanctioned bias to one state.

So instead he was smarter and made it easier on the refs in future games to make sure what Gallen did couldn't happen again. So instead of attacking the refs which seems to be everybody's knee jerk reaction he took a longer view and tried to make the referring better by
making it easier for refs to make the hard decisions by taking the pressure off them and onto his own shoulders. Quick tip - You don't get better referring by constantly disparaging their efforts - by that logic we should have the best refs in the world by now.

The shoulder charge ban is a joke and a knee jerk pandering to one or two Dr's who with zero evidence of increased risk got into the nrl's ear. I had hoped the gallop reactive management had gone with him but clearly it still remains.

Classic FUD. It wasn't 1 or 2 doctors - try every NRL club doctor

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-shoulder-charge/story-e6frexnr-1226432244735

Bengal

Juniors
Stop worrying bout the messenger and pay attention to the message.
Wise words - easy to say harder to do though even for those preaching such wisdom!

A great article was written capturing the mood of many regarding the big news of late - the biff and the reactions around it.

Well done again Mr Gould.

Garbler

Juniors
Wise words - easy to say harder to do though even for those preaching such wisdom!

A great article was written capturing the mood of many regarding the big news of late - the biff and the reactions around it.

Well done again Mr Gould.

No need to separate the message from the messenger when Mr. Gould's article is an opinion piece.

In contrast, the position that NRL club doctors had on the shoulder charge is not anyone's opinion, its a fact: they were all calling for it to be banned. Seems they don't share the inane paranoia over the direction of the game that Gould and those who call his articles great do. Funny that. :sarcasm:

Bengal

Juniors
No need to separate the message from the messenger when Mr. Gould's article is an opinion piece.
The key point here is separating the message and messenger and that is also the thrust to your earlier preach. The rest here is just an excuse.

In contrast, the position that NRL club doctors had on the shoulder charge is not anyone's opinion, its a fact: they were all calling for it to be banned. Seems they don't share the inane paranoia over the direction of the game that Gould and those who call his articles great do. Funny that. :sarcasm:
The only fact is the agreement of all NRL Doctors - that is the only fact. What they agree on is simply shared opinion with no factual NRL based medical evidence to support their views and a medical profession divided on their stance also.

Feel free to serve it up to Gus Gould, feel free to serve it up to those in agreement of his views, but please, don't tell others how to behave until you've learnt how to dance to your own tune.

Perth Red

Post Whore

These would be the same dr's that allow a concussed player to stay on the field??

BunniesMan

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-and-it-will-be-game-over-20130713-2pwsm.html

Gould article form SMH today. Don't read it BunniesMan. You won't like it.
I read it. Emotional and archaic stuff. Outdated and illogical.

Those same players that are all for this stupid bravado, in 10-20 years when some of them are broke and mentally handicapped, they will not be stopping their lawyers from chasing big 7 figure pay offs from the NRL.

The IQ of people like Dave Smith and the lawyers and doctors supporting him are vastly higher than the average IQ of the people in the game supporting Goulds stance. These intelligent people have a better ability to see the bigger picture and to understand long term consequences.

Garbler

Juniors
The key point here is separating the message and messenger and that is also the thrust to your earlier preach. The rest here is just an excuse.

Your completely missing the point. You cannot separate the messenger from the message when it is an opinion piece, it's someone's opinion it belongs to them. They own it. They expressed it. I'm happy for you that you so identified with his message, as self interested and conflicting as it was :)

The only fact is the agreement of all NRL Doctors - that is the only fact. What they agree on is simply shared opinion with no factual NRL based medical evidence to support their views and a medical profession divided on their stance also.

Good stuff I dont think we needed verification on the factual part? Also pretty sure your commentary on it means much much less than every club doctor holding the same position on the issue. But sorry I forgot your informed by the great Gus Gould! You must be right to completely neglect what the experts in their field say....

Feel free to serve it up to Gus Gould, feel free to serve it up to those in agreement of his views, but please, don't tell others how to behave until you've learnt how to dance to your own tune.

Thought it bout it. Nah. think Ill do what I like actually. Especially when I'm bestowing such wonderful insight to you all :)

Spot On

Coach
:sarcasm

Those same players that are all for this stupid bravado, in 10-20 years when some of them are broke and mentally handicapped, they will not be stopping their lawyers from chasing big 7 figure pay offs from the NRL.

The IQ of people like Dave Smith and the lawyers and doctors supporting him are vastly higher than the average IQ of the people in the game supporting Goulds stance. These intelligent people have a better ability to see the bigger picture and to understand long term consequences.

Mentally handicapped hey BunniesMan. How is it that players will become mentally handicapped in 10 to 20 years????

Panrith have hired an outdated and archaic league dinosaur as General Manager to pull them out of the mire. Someone better inform them before they go backwards.:sarcasm:

You never answered a previous question asked of you twice BM. Will you support the NRL if Sam Burgess is targetted and niggled at by a player and Burgess reacts by throwing a punch and is suspended for 4 to 8 weeks (as you would like players to be) and misses the finals series?

Last edited:

Garbler

Juniors
These would be the same dr's that allow a concussed player to stay on the field??

Yes. Every single nrl club doctor all gave their permission to your anonymous player to stay on the field.

They all left their respective clubs and flew to the anonymous game where they all sat huddled together just in case a decision by all of them at once would need to be made. And then it happened. A player was concussed; someone (who?) tried to take him off but he wanted to stay on the field so badly because he didn't want to let his anonymous team mates and his anonymous coach down. So not knowing what to do they turned to all 16 club doctors who were already conveniently huddled together in the crowd! After little deliberation, because the doctors were so incompetent they had never heard of evidence based practices, they unanimously allowed the anonymous player to stay on the field. The 16 club doctors felt they had made the right decision, but little did they know, eventually a member of a forum somewhere, sometime will bring up this example to refute anything they ever decide as a group again.

And that is how it happened.

betcats

Referee

How do u know Dave Smiths IQ, you are full of shit.

chrisD

Coach
Yes. Every single nrl club doctor all gave their permission to your anonymous player to stay on the field.

They all left their respective clubs and flew to the anonymous game where they all sat huddled together just in case a decision by all of them at once would need to be made. And then it happened. A player was concussed; someone (who?) tried to take him off but he wanted to stay on the field so badly because he didn't want to let his anonymous team mates and his anonymous coach down. So not knowing what to do they turned to all 16 club doctors who were already conveniently huddled together in the crowd! After little deliberation, because the doctors were so incompetent they had never heard of evidence based practices, they unanimously allowed the anonymous player to stay on the field. The 16 club doctors felt they had made the right decision, but little did they know, eventually a member of a forum somewhere, sometime will bring up this example to refute anything they ever decide as a group again.

And that is how it happened.

Not someone on a forum, the great majority of NRL fans and players. Their report was also laughably full of shit as the other thread about made abundantly obvious. You really don't have anything to add that hasn't already been torn to shreds and you're best off just going straight to the one line snipes the other clowns with your opinion have resorted to.

BunniesMan

Immortal
:sarcasm

Mentally handicapped hey BunniesMan. How is it that players will become mentally handicapped in 10 to 20 years????

Panrith have hired an outdated and archaic league dinosaur as General Manager to pull them out of the mire. Someone better inform them before they go backwards.:sarcasm:

You never answered a previous question asked of you twice BM. Will you support the NRL if Sam Burgess is targetted and niggled at by a player and Burgess reacts by throwing a punch and is suspended for 4 to 8 weeks (as you would like players to be) and misses the finals series?
No I wouldn't. Firstly I never said 8 weeks. I said 4 weeks. Secondly I wouldn't support it now because noone else got that.

IF Gallen and co got 4 weeks and any Souths player then did the same thing of course I'd support the same punishment. Without condoning the niggling I would primarily be mad at my player for being unprofessional.

Spot On

Coach
Okaaaayy, so now you are in favour of a one week suspension for those involved in punch ups/ brawls etc???? You were arguing that the penalty for fighting would have to now increase to stop players from throwing one. So where do you stand now? Is it that you realise Dave Smith can't in fact single handedly stop fist fights in league? That they will always be part of the game?? For the record, how many weeks suspension should a player receive for throwing a punch?

The other question you were asked is how are players, in 10 to 20 years time, going to become mentally handicapped as you put it?

Last edited:

Garbler

Juniors
Not someone on a forum, the great majority of NRL fans and players. Their report was also laughably full of shit as the other thread about made abundantly obvious. You really don't have anything to add that hasn't already been torn to shreds and you're best off just going straight to the one line snipes the other clowns with your opinion have resorted to.

Oh gawd you can't be serious? Your now confusing a handful of LU users with the great majority of NRL fans and players.

Perhaps don't spend so much time on this forum? There is a world out there...

Latest posts