What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You remember that he started this year? So has has had the job for 5 months.

If you were in his job how would you increase the number of registered players within one season considering you actually start after the registration period for that season actually happened.

Or how would you grow attendance or membership, not having been there for the advertising campaign or stadium deals, without throwing unnessisarily massive amounts of money at tickets.

What they set out was a 5 year plan. You cant hang him after 5 months.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You remember that he started this year? So has has had the job for 5 months.

If you were in his job how would you increase the number of registered players within one season considering you actually start after the registration period for that season actually happened.

Or how would you grow attendance or membership, not having been there for the advertising campaign or stadium deals, without throwing unnessisarily massive amounts of money at tickets.

What they set out was a 5 year plan. You cant hang him after 5 months.

He's been in the job 7 months, the arlc 18 months, strategic plan was launched 8 months ago. I would expect some action plans being made public even if they haven't had time to commence them. The arl's income has trebled, I'd like to see some sense of how it is going to be used to grow the game.

Rugby League’s strategic plan forecasts that by 2017:

• An NRL Growth Fund will have made $200m available for investment in key projects.
• Club membership will reach 400,000;
• Rugby League social media platforms will engage 5.8m people;
• Average attendance at NRL games will increase to 20,000
• 700,000 people will play in competitions;
• 1.8m will be engaged in NRL community programs;
• 1.65m will take part in Rugby League activities;
• 84% of all NRL players will be engaged in education or career training;
• Central revenue will have doubled to more than $300m;

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/The_Game_Plan.pdf

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
He's been in the job 7 months, the arlc 18 months, strategic plan was launched 8 months ago. I would expect some action plans being made public even if they haven't had time to commence them. The arl's income has trebled, I'd like to see some sense of how it is going to be used to grow the game.

Well.....

Rugby League’s strategic plan forecasts that by 2017:

• An NRL Growth Fund will have made $200m available for investment in key projects.
• Club membership will reach 400,000;
• Rugby League social media platforms will engage 5.8m people;
• Average attendance at NRL games will increase to 20,000
• 700,000 people will play in competitions;
• 1.8m will be engaged in NRL community programs;
• 1.65m will take part in Rugby League activities;
• 84% of all NRL players will be engaged in education or career training;
• Central revenue will have doubled to more than $300m;

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/The_Game_Plan.pdf

im sorry but i really dont understand what you are coplaining about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well.....

im sorry but i really dont understand what you are coplaining about.

That's not an action plan, it's strategic goals with kpi's. an action plan would outline HOW the ARL is going to achieve these strategic goals and kpi's.

There has been some things happening which I applaud

The tonga v Samoa test
The bringing of all development officers under a national dept

After that I'm struggling to think what else is a new initiative this year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol wow our 5 year stategic plan is 7 pages long(could of been fit into 4 or 5 as well), thats pretty detailed.

I think the strategic plan is great, covers the whole game including beyond our shores, has measurable outcomes that are realistic, no problems with it as an overarching strategic plan. Turning into reality is what needs to be happening and where we now should be seeing the operational detail.

I'd still take DS over gallop any day of the week.

betcats

Referee
Gallop was average no doubt but DS hasnt done much. In all honestly that plan is nothing groundbreaking, most the areas that need to be addressed are obvious.

The biggest thing Smith has done so far was the one punch rule, which was a massive overreaction and backfired pretty much straight away.

Card Shark

Immortal
Gallop was average no doubt but DS hasnt done much. In all honestly that plan is nothing groundbreaking, most the areas that need to be addressed are obvious.

The biggest thing Smith has done so far was the one punch rule, which was a massive overreaction and backfired pretty much straight away.

Hasn't done much ?

Hardly had a chance with ASADA & player misbehaviour. Only 24 hrs in a day - does need to find time for sleeping.

I bet the ASADA thing has kept him real busy.

betcats

Referee
Hasn't done much ?

Hardly had a chance with ASADA & player misbehaviour. Only 24 hrs in a day - does need to find time for sleeping.

I bet the ASADA thing has kept him real busy.

Yeah Dave was all over the ASADA thing, "Hurry Up".

The came in, raped the games image and so far havent handed out any penalties/charges, they almost destroyed the sharks while they were at it. Seriously what did he do? or what is he doing since it is ongoing. Even up here ive seen more of Demetriou then Smith on the subject.

People wanna heap praise on him just because he isnt Gallop, its f**king stupid.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Player misbehavior is (generally) the biggest non-issue. Media beat-ups designed to sell papers.

He shouldn't be giving garbage like that any oxygen. Incidentally not standing up for the public image of the game was one of the things I hated about Gallop. I'd like to think DS is going to do a better job in that regard.

ASADA is another matter entirely.

betcats

Referee
Thats another thing, as far as I can the way the NRL deals with player misbehaviour is still random.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Thats another thing, as far as I can the way the NRL deals with player misbehaviour is still random.

I think with the integrity commission in place now, you will start seeing set penalties similar to how the NFL operates, which may take into account any mitigating circumstances.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That's not an action plan, it's strategic goals with kpi's. an action plan would outline HOW the ARL is going to achieve these strategic goals and kpi's.

There has been some things happening which I applaud

The tonga v Samoa test
The bringing of all development officers under a national dept

After that I'm struggling to think what else is a new initiative this year?

If a business man had action plans designed to outgrow his competition and decided to release them to the public before executing them, your opinion of him would be ... improved?

El Diablo

Post Whore
If a business man had action plans designed to outgrow his competition and decided to release them to the public before executing them, your opinion of him would be ... improved?

Perth Dickhead is not happy unless every single detail is released publicly regardless of how stupid that would be

ignore the whinging pom

skeepe

Immortal
I see the NRLhave decided Fergo's 4 week suspension for something he claims not to have done is set to be extended for no reason other than David Smith is a merkin.

f**k you NRL.

Garbler

Juniors
Thanks for the Gould article. I get the impression he is still trying to put all the pieces together but in the mean time is more than happy to grumble.

He is part of the media that he rallies against - he mentions the toughness of the game in the 70's but then admits it shouldn't be like that today.

He was happy to be one of those who (rightly) under-minded Gallop for being a News Ltd stooge, pushed for a more business savvy & independent structure then grumbles when they make decisions that are independent of the clubs and business savvy.

He is happy to claim the NRL was under funded under the previous admin, but refuses to accept the reality that with outsiders cash come outsiders influence on the game.

It's amazing that he is happy to bring the NRL down by speculating whether it will lose its appeal when he is part of the problem. He pushed for more money (and indirectly outside influence) & he himself is happy to take the money on offer from Channel 9 & represent the station that turns more viewers away from the game then any ban on the shoulder charge or fighting will do.

Gould passion is only matched by the blinkers he wears.

Spot On

Coach
Thanks for the Gould article. I get the impression he is still trying to put all the pieces together but in the mean time is more than happy to grumble.

He is part of the media that he rallies against - he mentions the toughness of the game in the 70's but then admits it shouldn't be like that today.

He was happy to be one of those who (rightly) under-minded Gallop for being a News Ltd stooge, pushed for a more business savvy & independent structure then grumbles when they make decisions that are independent of the clubs and business savvy.

He is happy to claim the NRL was under funded under the previous admin, but refuses to accept the reality that with outsiders cash come outsiders influence on the game.

It's amazing that he is happy to bring the NRL down by speculating whether it will lose its appeal when he is part of the problem. He pushed for more money (and indirectly outside influence) & he himself is happy to take the money on offer from Channel 9 & represent the station that turns more viewers away from the game then any ban on the shoulder charge or fighting will do.

Gould passion is only matched by the blinkers he wears.

Who are these "outsiders" you speak of injecting cash into the game?

Last edited:

Latest posts