What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Bengal

Juniors
I think you know your being overly pedantic.
The rules of engagement were set but they weren?t followed through by the person that set them. That?s it.

To be honest, I shouldn't have been so dismissive of the article, the candour of the piece is refreshing, but Bengal you need to learn to appreciate context. Gus gives us a lot of it in he's article and it would be wasteful to throw it away.
Context is subjective ? there are many themes Gould raised ? some have been picked up on while others have simply been dismissed. Discussion of a theme will determine proper context and not whether people need to take out of any given article, the same points of view.

But to then praise the article and claim all responses have to be on the legitimacy of the themes/agenda set forth by Mr Gould - your missing the value of critical thinking - of questioning why he even choose the themes he did in the first place. There is no harm in questioning, why do you feel threatened that I should question Mr Gould?
Questioning is good, more questioning and less indifference facilitates healthy debate which in turn fuels the opportunity for critical thinking to flow.

adamkungl

Immortal
There may be no instances of player brain damage right now (debatable, i bet there are some that are undiagnosed. it is essentially alzheimer's syndrom).

BUT you have to consider the science. It has been shown that its not just the major brain trauma (confusion, black out) that cause problems. The minor repetitive trauma (head knocks) add up over a lifetime to bring on the same early onset alzheimer's.

Like.... almost every single tackle?

Dead set, the people supporting this soft bullshit are the biggest hypocritical grubs on here.

They know that RL is a dangerous, violent game. They are morally opposed to it being a dangerous, violent game. And yet here they are putting their cash towards it anyway. Plus constantly sooking and ruining it for the majority of players and fans.

Gus' article was one of the best i've ever read on Rugby League. Quality stuff. The softening of Rugby League needs to stop, before it kills itself.

Bengal

Juniors
20 years ago the game was not as fast, the players were not as fit and most importantly they were not as big.

They couldn't do as much damage as often as they do now.
And the same thinking could have been said about the game twenty years before that ? players bigger, faster and fitter in the 90?s than in the 70?s. Everything is relative to its day. Now days, players are prepared for the rigors of modern football. In the old days they were prepared for the rigors of that period. Today?s game wouldn?t be what it is if the players weren?t equally as prepared for the environment they find themselves in. As such, this whole point is very much up for debate.

Dragon

Coach

Dead set, the people supporting this soft bullshit are the biggest hypocritical grubs on here.

They know that RL is a dangerous, violent game. They are morally opposed to it being a dangerous, violent game. And yet here they are putting their cash towards it anyway. Plus constantly sooking and ruining it for the majority of players and fans.

Gus' article was one of the best i've ever read on Rugby League. Quality stuff. The softening of Rugby League needs to stop, before it kills itself.

Hear hear.

These Helen Lovejoys need to go watch a game of park footy (im sure i offended someone by calling it that but w/e)

I was at the Gordon Tallis cup for under 9's in Townsville a few weeks ago and some poor kid suffered a compound fracture to his leg. Nobody freaked, it was just one of those things.. In fact every game i watched a kid would come off hurt. It wasn't head high tackles or shoulder charges doing the damage, it was just rugby league being the game it has always been. Needless to say everyone who attended walked away from it extremely proud to be part of the rugby league community.

RL looks after its own & we don't need soccer mums telling us what's right or wrong, nor do we need a bunch of ivory tower journos sensationalizing every incident in the game.

Garbler

Juniors
lol, can you provide any instance of the majority of NRL fans supporting the shoulder charge ban?

Even the shoulder charge ban cheerleaders DT couldn't weasel a fan poll with anything but an overwhelming majority of fans in opposition.

Come on, anything. gawd... lol what a f**kwit you are.

chrisD lt me break it down for you.

I originally said RE: doctors allowing concussed players to stay on field:

The 16 club doctors felt they had made the right decision, but little did they know, eventually a member of a forum somewhere, sometime will bring up this example to refute anything they ever decide as a group again.

So, when some you say

Not someone on a forum, the great majority of NRL fans and players.

Your clearly referring to the majority of NRL fans and players refuting any decision by the 16 NRL club doctors based on their supposed views on concussed players. However, based on how bunched your panties are, I gather in your own mind you had previously made the leap and were referring to the view of the shoulder charge in general. So yes, the majority of players publicly support the shoulder charge. Wow. Breaking news: players not concerned about own welfare!

Spot On

Coach

100% agree with you and a top quality post. Gould like. Well said.

Garbler

Juniors
The rules of engagement were set but they weren?t followed through by the person that set them. That?s it.

I actually regretted using the message/messenger wording. I thought I could have done with a better response before you absolutely took it in the completely wrong direction. See, I didn't mind that PerthRed questioned that I used the DT. Normally the DT is full of it.

The point I wanted to make was the DT did have a fact they were reporting on (although it may have been wrapped in one of their typical sanctimonious, agenda pushing articles). So maybe the fault is mine that I allowed someone like you to take my words and run like a mad man with them.

Question the messenger. There I said it, I'm now playing by my own rules of engagement for those who don't understand context. :)

Hear hear.

These Helen Lovejoys need to go watch a game of park footy (im sure i offended someone by calling it that but w/e)

I was at the Gordon Tallis cup for under 9's in Townsville a few weeks ago and some poor kid suffered a compound fracture to his leg. Nobody freaked, it was just one of those things.. In fact every game i watched a kid would come off hurt. It wasn't head high tackles or shoulder charges doing the damage, it was just rugby league being the game it has always been. Needless to say everyone who attended walked away from it extremely proud to be part of the rugby league community.

RL looks after its own & we don't need soccer mums telling us what's right or wrong, nor do we need a bunch of ivory tower journos sensationalizing every incident in the game.
As an assistant JRL coach also runner/first aid etc,i agree 100%.
Most JRL injuries are from legal tackles(it helps if kids are taught to tackle properly from an early age).
As for injuries ,fractures/dislocations corks etc ,in between tears sobs & sometimes howls from the pain,you hear "How long will I be out for"?,or "Will I be right for next week"?.
Even the kids at a young age know that it is a hard physical sport & you can get injured,Those that are not cut out for it drift to other sports,& those kids from other sports who find that their sport is not physical enough drift to RL.

I see kids who are best mates at school & play together for the school team ,line up & smash each other(legally) on a Sat,when playing for opposing clubs.
& when the game is over they are chatting & laughing together walking off field..
That's what RL is about.

chrisD

Coach
chrisD lt me break it down for you.

I originally said RE: doctors allowing concussed players to stay on field:

So, when some you say

Your clearly referring to the majority of NRL fans and players refuting any decision by the 16 NRL club doctors based on their supposed views on concussed players. However, based on how bunched your panties are, I gather in your own mind you had previously made the leap and were referring to the view of the shoulder charge in general. So yes, the majority of players publicly support the shoulder charge. Wow. Breaking news: players not concerned about own welfare!

f**k you're a dribbler.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sure the NRL are being soft and listening to the whingers. However:

Shoulder charge ban came in before Smith did.
Punch ban was Anderson's doing.

Both rubbish rules though

betcats

Referee
So Dave had no say at all in the punch rule? I don't believe the ceo of the NRL had nothing to do with a new rule brought in midseason.

franklin2323

Immortal
So Dave had no say at all in the punch rule? I don't believe the ceo of the NRL had nothing to do with a new rule brought in midseason.

It says there was a meeting but this bit is all Anderson:

NRL referees boss Daniel Anderson has spoken to his entire squad this week about a stricter policing of foul play and punching incidents. Referees will be dropped if they don't enforce the rules and use the sin bin.

Anderson, a former junior development officer, says the crackdown is vital for the future of the game and the recruitment of young players. "We need to make sure our game can recruit young kids," he said. "We've got a duty to the community and to people involved in our sport.
"There are a lot of swinging voters on our game who could be turned away by certain incidents.
"The product has to be palatable and accommodate all people who want to be involved in the game. It's the mums and dads who decide if their kids get to play rugby league."

from here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ty-violence/story-fni3fqyo-1226664374292#fast

betcats

Referee
It says there was a meeting but this bit is all Anderson:

NRL referees boss Daniel Anderson has spoken to his entire squad this week about a stricter policing of foul play and punching incidents. Referees will be dropped if they don't enforce the rules and use the sin bin.

Anderson, a former junior development officer, says the crackdown is vital for the future of the game and the recruitment of young players. "We need to make sure our game can recruit young kids," he said. "We've got a duty to the community and to people involved in our sport.
"There are a lot of swinging voters on our game who could be turned away by certain incidents.
"The product has to be palatable and accommodate all people who want to be involved in the game. It's the mums and dads who decide if their kids get to play rugby league."

from here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ty-violence/story-fni3fqyo-1226664374292#fast

He might of been the main driving force behind the rule, but I think it would of atleast needed Daves approval or whatever.

Anyway im more concerned with the over-reaction then the actual rule. The rule itself won't change things to much, I just think its a poor way to run the game, rules changes because of one incident that was ref'd poorly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF the rule hasn't changed, punch a player and you'll get sin binned. That rule has been around for a long time. What has changed is ref's have been told they have enforce the rule! The fact that at the first opportunity they then got it wrong by sin binning a player who was getting punched in the head is another matter.

The other real issue is the lack of consistency at the tribunal following a punch up. How players can get one, two or three weeks for the same offence is baffling.

Gallen one week, player not defending himself
Merrin one week, dog act player not even looking
Hodges no ban, third man in
Allgood 2 weeks, player running at him

For me Merrin's was the worse.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
How is this "brain damage" being suffered by players under the games present rules BM? You've failed to further respond to a point you were trying to make - again.

Last edited: