What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Taylor looking to get out of his Titans contract

DC_fan

Coach
It is being reported this morning that Dave Taylor has asked his manager to investigate ways of getting him out of his Titans contract.

Taylor come to a verbal agreement with the Titans only days before the teams true financial position come to light.

Stagger Lee

Bench
It is being reported this morning that Dave Taylor has asked his manager to investigate ways of getting him out of his Titans contract.

Taylor come to a verbal agreement with the Titans only days before the teams true financial position come to light.

Verbal agreements don't mean shit nowadays. Ask Stephen Humphreys the wests dodgy car salesman boss. Has Dave Taylor signed or not signed?

beads6

First Grade
Back page of the Sunday Mail has the Coal train looking at his options. He is worried the Titans won't be able to pay the money they have agreed to.

Snappy

Coach
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/taylor-gets-cold-feet/story-e6frep5x-1226309214270

Gold Coast-bound Dave Taylor considers options as Titans troubles mount

• by: James Phelps
  • March 25, 2012

Titans in turmoil

179764-david-taylor-on-the-charge.jpg

COLD FEET: Dave Taylor. Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph

PRIZE Gold Coast recruit Dave Taylor is examining his options after revelations his new club could collapse under a $35 million debt.

The Queensland Origin forward will hold talks this week with his manager to discuss the validity of the four-year, $1.8 million contract he agreed with the Titans last week.
The Rabbitohs have not given up hope of keeping Taylor and are understood to be ready to re-open negotiations.
Taylor's manager Col Davis phoned the Rugby League Players' Association on Friday to ask whether Taylor's agreement with the Titans was binding.
Davis has concerns the club will not be able to pay Taylor after claims the Titans could be dissolved and he will ask his client if he wants out of the deal.

"Col rang me wanting to get some information and I didn't actually give him any advice," said RLPA general manager Ben Bana.
"That is about all I can say."
Taylor, who agreed to join the club only three days before the full extent of the Titans' debt was known, has not put pen to paper and is only bound to his new deal by a verbal agreement.
In an indication that Taylor wants out, Davis has been studying precedents of cases involving players reneging on deals after making verbal agreements.
They include Tim Moltzen's deal with the Dragons last year and Steve Turner staying in Melbourne after doing a deal with the Gold Coast.
It is understood Davis, who refused to comment when contacted by The Sunday Mail, discussed these cases with the RLPA before being instructed to engage his own legal counsel.
"I am aware he called, but that is about it," RLPA boss David Garnsey said. "I am planning on speaking with him."
The NRL last night said Taylor's contract would not be legally binding until it was registered, but the Titans could mount a case on the strength of the agreement should Taylor try to back out.
"As far as we are concerned the contract isn't binding until it is registered after round 13," NRL spokesman John Brady said.
"There are situations where that can be challenged by the clubs on the strength of the agreement, but as far as we are concerned it is not a contract until it is registered."
Taylor was also being courted by the Cowboys, the Gold Coast and his present club the Rabbitohs.
He was forced into making a decision 11 days ago when the Rabbitohs played hard ball and withdrew their offer.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
In an indication that Taylor wants out, Davis has been studying precedents of cases involving players reneging on deals after making verbal agreements.

Cant they just ask GI about that ?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
If he hasnt signed the piece of paper then he doesnt have to go to them.

That's entirely incorrect. If it can be proved, through emails or other that he has agreed to terms, he is bound by law to that agreement.

Before you mention Turner or Inglis, both parties in thoses cases (ie Titans and Broncos respectively) chose to not hold each player to their agreement. They had every right however, to enforce those contracts.

You don't have to put pen to paper to be bound to a contract.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
By the letter of the law that may be the case. But in the world of RL we all know how things work.

Jason Maher

Immortal
I'm sick of seing this sort of shit. The ARLC needs to do something to put a broom through the whole player trading process, and set up some very clear and precise rules and enforced them with fines for players, managers, and clubs.

aussies1st

Staff member
I'd be trying to get out of it too, for once a player has a legit reason to get out of a contract.

Lowdown

Juniors
Exhibit 1 in the case of the People V The NRL (for crimes of inconsistency, stupidity and favoritism and general derpism):

The NRL last night said Taylor's contract would not be legally binding until it was registered, but the Titans could mount a case on the strength of the agreement should Taylor try to back out.
"As far as we are concerned the contract isn't binding until it is registered after round 13," NRL spokesman John Brady said.
"There are situations where that can be challenged by the clubs on the strength of the agreement, but as far as we are concerned it is not a contract until it is registered."

Exhibit 2:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...ght-over-Turner/2006/08/16/1155407863097.html

The National Rugby League has sided with Gold Coast in a bitter tug-of-war between Melbourne and the Titans over in-form winger Steve Turner.
The NRL will refuse to register the Storm's contract with Turner, despite the 21-year-old re-signing with the competition leader for another three years.
Titans managing director Michael Searle met with NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney to plead his case after the fledgling club trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal on June 19.
But Turner had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm until the end of 2009, infuriating Gold Coast officials who claim he had broken a "partly written, partly verbal" agreement with the franchise.
Turner admitted he had told the Titans he would play for them next season, but he had never signed a contract nor any pre-contract agreement.
"There was no letter of intent signed and when my manager (David Riolo) came to me with the contract, I said `look, I want to stay here with the Storm' and he said we'd see what we could do.
"My goal is to be a Storm player for 2007 and years to come."
Gallop said the NRL would review the documentation from the Titans but he was satisfied the club had struck a legally binding agreement with Turner.
"Our preliminary view is that a deal was struck between the player and the Titans," said Gallop, adding he had received an email from Riolo supporting the Gold Coast's case.
"We would in that situation support the Titans in securing the player.
"Everyone must accept that a deal is a deal once made and can't be ignored unless both parties agree."
It is understood the Storm offered Turner an extra $100,000 to stay in Melbourne after initially saying they couldn't fit him under the salary cap.
Searle said Turner had made frequent references to joining the Titans in the media and had spent two days in June looking for property on the Gold Coast.
"Yesterday morning the kid was on national radio saying how much he was looking forward to playing with the Titans and playing fullback," Searle noted.
The Storm - involved in a similar dispute over Parramatta prop Fuifui Moimoi two years ago - said it would fight to the hilt to ensure Turner's new contract with the club was declared legal.
Melbourne's position is that according to NRL rules, clubs have 10 days after a contract is entered into to lodge the paperwork - and the Titans had not done so.
"I'd like to think commonsense would prevail - I certainly wouldn't want to have an employee in my business who didn't want to be there," Waldron said.
"The reality is he's a signed Melbourne Storm player. The contract has been lodged within the rules.
"We have it documented between us and Steve that we have a three-year deal, and we'll push forward and support that 100 per cent."
Searle said there would be no hard feelings against Turner, whom he believes was pressured into re-signing with the Storm.
"This hasn't diminished our position on him," Searle said. "He's a 21-year-old kid that's obviously been easily influenced."
The contractual dispute overshadowed an announcement that Gold Coast business ABC Brick Sales will be the club's sleeve sponsor for the next three years.
© 2006 AAP

New commission...same muppets.

Eelectrica

Referee
If the Titans are still in the comp next year, that should mean the current money problems have been resolved one way or the other.

I can understand DT wanting out on the basis the team he's signed up for next year may not be around and he'd prefer to get where he's playing next year sorted soon instead of waiting to see what happens with the Titans.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Exhibit 1 in the case of the People V The NRL (for crimes of inconsistency, stupidity and favoritism and general derpism):

Exhibit 2:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...ght-over-Turner/2006/08/16/1155407863097.html

New commission...same muppets.

f**k Steve Turner & f**k Melbourne. Why didn't they give him a speedboat?

As for the coal train, smart lad for going over his contract and seeing things are viable. I hear his office will be on the 42nd floor of the centre of excellence, right next to Jamal's TV studio.

Last edited:

Latest posts