What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop: I'll fight to save all Sydney clubs

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24109479-14823,00.html
David Gallop: I'll fight to save all Sydney clubs

By Steve Mascord | August 01, 2008 12:00am

Standing up for Sydney ... David Gallop. / The Daily Telegraph
NRL chief executive David Gallop last night responded to calls for Sydney clubs to be culled by making a shock offer to prop them up financially.

As Sonny Bill Williams' defection to rugby union continued to prompt calls for a return to Perth, Adelaide and other expansion areas, Gallop made a landmark statement when quizzed by The Daily Telegraph.

There may be long-standing incentives on offer for clubs to relocate - but the NRL is also willing to consider helping them stay put.

"We're not in the situation that the AFL in Melbourne is in, where clubs are actually getting financial assistance," he said. "But if it gets to that point we'll have to consider that to maintain our saturation coverage across the city."

Asked if he thought the NRL would be needed to bail out cash-strapped Sydney clubs, Gallop said: "Not at the moment."

While Gallop has previously offered up to $11 million to clubs which relocate, there has never before been any indication the NRL would help teams remain in Sydney.

Expansionists have come out of the woodwork since Williams boarded a plane to Toulon on Saturday, saying the only way the game can maximise its television and sponsorship revenue is by going everywhere from previously abandoned WA and South Australia to Coffs Harbour, Darwin, Port Moresby, Ipswich, Wellington and the Sunshine Coast.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler yesterday joined the likes of CEOs Michael Searle, Brian Waldron and Bruno Cullen in calling for further expansion and/or relocation - at the expense of traditional teams.

But in a hard-hitting interview, Gallop declared Perth and Adelaide will not be ready for the new TV contract in 2013.

"I'm not a fan of the idea that cutting teams in Sydney is the answer," he said.

"People are quick to say 'Let's cut clubs' but they're not so quick to say which ones. Culling Sydney teams ignores the huge advantage we get with saturation in the most competitive market in the country.

"Apart from the pain it causes for fans, it leaves holes for other codes to fill. Look at the north shore since the Bears left the comp.

"Does the game really want places like Cronulla or Penrith or Campbelltown or Manly to have no rugby league team?

"I don't think Perth and Adelaide will be ready, there won't be the interest . . . by then."

Gallop said his stand was based partly on the geographical differences between Sydney and Melbourne.

"We've got quite isolated communities in some of the places that I just named," he said. "Manly is an example of a community that is actually reasonably isolated. There are people who drive over the Spit Bridge on Friday night and have no intention of going back until Monday morning.

"There's a good chance if there's no team playing out of Brookvale, those people are not going to the footy.

"Penrith the same, Cronulla the same. In Melbourne, people tend to travel into the city to the grounds with relative ease."

He repeated early comments that "the Central Coast is the obvious next target".

"The simple fact is that Coffs Harbour and the Sunshine Coast don't have the facility or the community to support a football club that needs to be turning over at least $12 million a year," he said in response to Fittler's comments.

"We certainly want to do some work to research growth areas and look at where our best returns will come from.

"We've already started that project."

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Coffs Harbour.... please.... Hey Freddy look at TV ratings points,,, they dont even consider regional areas when negotiating contacts, acording to Gallop.

We have to have a 10-15 year plan to be national, it would be stupid to set up teams there now, but we have to spend cash on setting up the infrastructure, WA reds in Jim Beam is a good example,,,,, but was this an NRL initiative ???

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No it wasn't and what are the NRL doing to grow the game in WA? Nothing, that's what. Compare their efforts to the old ARL who started plannng 6 years before the Reds came in.
Also they knew years ago what would be needed to grow revenue ie expand, yet have done sweet FA. All this News rhetoric about them caring is nice but once again it's all about what they CAN'T do and NOT what they CAN DO.

T to the T

Juniors
"I don't think Perth and Adelaide will be ready, there won't be the interest . . . by then."

merkin!!!

5 years for Perth, should be more than adequate considering the steps they have taken already. They exist and are in the JBC, when they get into the Q Cup they'll just be one step away. Don't dismiss them on lack of interest come 2013 yet!

Well uncle Dave's laid a challenge for you Westies out there. Make the WA Reds irresistible come 2012

CC Bears + WA Reds for 2012

Knight87

Juniors
"I'll fight to save all Sydney clubs"

Yeah, I bet ya (when he was still a lawyer) he was really thinking that when he was one of the instigators in planning the demise of the North Sydney Bears. I am glad he recognises the pain that the demise of the Bears has caused their fans and many a rugby league fan on the North Shore and Central Coast have turned away from league and gone to other sports.

Last edited:

Knight87

Juniors
Coffs Harbour.... please.... Hey Freddy look at TV ratings points,,, they dont even consider regional areas when negotiating contacts, acording to Gallop.

We have to have a 10-15 year plan to be national, it would be stupid to set up teams there now, but we have to spend cash on setting up the infrastructure, WA reds in Jim Beam is a good example,,,,, but was this an NRL initiative ???

Yes, I agree with Gallops comment that Coffs Harbour isn't large enough to sustain a rugby league team (population is less than 100,000).

However, I disagree with the Sunshine Coast though. Sunshine Coast is a very popular area where the population is increasing. Rugby League support is strong up there. Sunshine Coast should be admitted into the comp in 2017/18 (after the next tv rights deal expires). By then, 9-10 years will have passed and that area will be more developed than ever.

I'd love to see teams in (in order): Perth, 2nd Brisbane, Central Coast, Sunshine Coast, Wellington, Adelaide, Darwin, PNG. Perth, 2nd Brisbane and Central Coast are MUSTS, IMO.

Last edited:

nadera78

Juniors
Seriously, anyone who thinks there is no future for the game in Perth is a moron. Over a million people living there, already have a dozen guys playing first grade in the NRL/ESL, have had a local RL comp for sixty years and the game is played in schools. Yet f*ckwits like Gallop don't want a team based there!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
We will get a team there it's just we can't do it before the next TV rights deal, otherwise guess what? Yes that's right all our rights will cost MORE and News will have to fork out.

Gallop's sole job is keeping everyone at bay until he guides News past the next deal which will see them through to 2017 this is why he is blocking evey attempt at growth and never talks the game up other than his usual rhetoric.

gong_eagle

First Grade
There are people who drive over the Spit Bridge on Friday night and have no intention of going back until Monday morning.

Does he really think that all supporters from all the teams come from their own suburb or town or city ?

yappy

Bench
"Does the game really want places like Cronulla or Penrith or Campbelltown or Manly to have no rugby league team?

er David, you already accomplished that mission. A band of gypies that visit 3 times a year isn't anything like having a local team.

Glad though at least someone who was associated with Super League can at least hint at an admission of their folly.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
thanks god he's gonna save us

I thought we were in trouble there for a while

bobmar28

Bench
Yes, I agree with Gallops comment that Coffs Harbour isn't large enough to sustain a rugby league team (population is less than 100,000).

However, I disagree with the Sunshine Coast though. Sunshine Coast is a very popular area where the population is increasing. Rugby League support is strong up there. Sunshine Coast should be admitted into the comp in 2017/18 (after the next tv rights deal expires). By then, 9-10 years will have passed and that area will be more developed than ever.

I'd love to see teams in (in order): Perth, 2nd Brisbane, Central Coast, Sunshine Coast, Wellington, Adelaide, Darwin, PNG. Perth, 2nd Brisbane and Central Coast are MUSTS, IMO.

A 25 team competition?

macavity

Referee
what about the important teams, you know, the non sydney teams... would they prop them up?

he is singing from the NewsLtd song sheet - fragmenting the country is in their interest - no teams in Perth/Adelaide is in their interest. struggling Sydney clubs holding the game back is in their interest.

this is merely a headline to starve off a civil war type revolt in league.
in these times people must pull together
it is widely known that perhaps sydney has two too many clubs or so but really its no ones bussiness to just kill them off.

it wont and cant happen like that. the afl model is what this looks like and hopefully unless the situation is hopeless, no club will move.

secretly we cross our fingers one does become a hopeless case

F%^* me dead you lot carry on like a bunch of school girls. Your all hot on the critical sh!t! For god sake have an opinion but how about some balance. If you go through these threads and follow what most of you "experts" think should happen, we should probably just shut up shop and forget Rugby League because it would die a lot faster than anyone controlling now could possibly achieve, no matter if teh are News Ltd or ARL. You cannot make value judgements on what should happen unless you are armed with all the relevant data, be that statistical, financial and demographics when you are talking about getting rid of teams or starting new franchises.

Lets look at an example of when I read in here...Relocate Sydney teams to Adelaide and Perth etc. ok so you alaienate probaly two thirds of the current membership and fan base. Who from Sydney is gonna go to their home games? They are in a City that they now must try and win following and replace backers that they once had in Sydney. If they are new they don't even have infrastructure so the cost are even higher. Then there are player rosters. Some players may not want to live and play out of Perth or Adelaide, but lets leave that aside for now. So the NRL now must find millions to support these new ventures/relocations for quite a number of years (thank god the NRL isn't funding Melbourne and News Ltd is or there wouldn't be team there). So then we want more TV rights because we have teams in Adelaide and Perth. Would they pay more given that we have now reduced the potential veiwing audience by allienating two thirds of at least two sydney clubs and have two sides with fledgling support? I don't think so. So all we have done so far is maintain the finacial income perhaps from TV rights but we are spending alot of money that would usually go to ALL clubs on propping up two new franchises. Then we want more money to keep our players in the game here in Oz. Forget that. To prop up your two new wonder clubs the game just wont have the money.

Go get a millionaire or two to put the money in, i hear you say. Yeah right pigs might fly to. That argument is all well and good if some fat cashed up boring movie star wants to blow away some cash but you cannot plan a solid foundation and way forward on that basis.

What are the answers, I dont know and I for one am not going to be a pretend keyboard analyst who thinks I know whats best for teh game when I have not a fuggen clue what all the complexities are. Maybe a few of you should take the same approach.

Oh and NEWS Ltd ranting is getting so fuggen boring!

Last edited:

Latest posts