What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DCE Has asked for a release

TheRev

Coach
As I said in the NRL forum, I want him (he is cute you must admit), but $400K is too much.

In general I think 400k is too much, for an outside back, but I actually think its pretty cheap for a genuine playmaker, he reminds me of Alfie Langer, the way he sniffs around the line and attempts to run himself.. plus he seems pretty tough/resilient.

If you think were over-rating him, thats one thing, but guys like Lockyer/Cronk/Thurston are what great clubs are built on, DCE looks genuinely in that mould.. of course he still has a lot more to prove, but he seems one of the safer bets out there.

j0nesy

Bench
400k for a star playmaker is probably reasonable under an increased salary cap. As someone else said though, its a huge gamble for such a young player.

Mr Red

First Grade
$500K for a second year player? Man it's a lot of coin to spend eh? He's probably worth it but you feel sorry for all those big boppers out there. As a wise man once said...the forwards win the game; the backs just decide by how much.

you're kidding right?
match winning halfbacks are very rare - i only wish 500k a season would get him, he will be asking more then that... and he's worth every cent!!

a wise man also said " i will never pay more then 300k for a prop forward no matter how good they are" and i think Mr Bennett knows football...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
you're kidding right?
match winning halfbacks are very rare - i only wish 500k a season would get him, he will be asking more then that... and he's worth every cent!!

a wise man also said " i will never pay more then 300k for a prop forward no matter how good they are" and i think Mr Bennett knows football...

That's the thing, he's a very young but talented halfback. I don't think he's the 'match winner' that alot of people seem to think he is, he's very much a Cooper Cronk style halfback IMO, great support cast, never does anything wrong, but he'll rarely win a game for you on his own. Foran is the gamebreaker in their halves.

$250k-300k with incentives would be far more realistic for a player like DCE at this stage in his career. In 2 or 3 years he'll be getting more, but he's hardly a well established player to demand any more at this stage.

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous that he's asked for a release. His wage is on par for almost all U20's that break into first grade, the moment you actually become a regular doesn't mean your wage instantly changes.

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
DCE is currently on 85K per season, Manly looked to upgrade that and offer him 125K for four seasons, I just think that is grossly undervalued, he's won a grand final in his first year and made the Australian squad. It looks to be getting a bit messy out Brookvale way. Any club that can get him on around 250-300K a season on a four year deal would have done pretty good I feel.

Breathingfire

Juniors
That's the thing, he's a very young but talented halfback. I don't think he's the 'match winner' that alot of people seem to think he is, he's very much a Cooper Cronk style halfback IMO, great support cast, never does anything wrong, but he'll rarely win a game for you on his own. Foran is the gamebreaker in their halves.

$250k-300k with incentives would be far more realistic for a player like DCE at this stage in his career. In 2 or 3 years he'll be getting more, but he's hardly a well established player to demand any more at this stage.

I also think it's absolutely ridiculous that he's asked for a release. His wage is on par for almost all U20's that break into first grade, the moment you actually become a regular doesn't mean your wage instantly changes.

You are entitled to your opinion but did you watch the game on Friday night? He single handedly won Manly the match. He is certainly not "great support cast" IMO.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You are entitled to your opinion but did you watch the game on Friday night? He single handedly won Manly the match. He is certainly not "great support cast" IMO.

Yes I watched it. I also watched most of Manly's games last season to form that opinion, not just a single game.

I'm not questioning his talent, I just think most of their game winning play comes from elsewhere. He's not a halfback in the mould of Johnathon Thurston, as I said, he's more of a Cronk style halfback, which there is nothing wrong with that, but you don't go to him every week to win you a game. Foran has far more impact on their wins IMO.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Yes I watched it. I also watched most of Manly's games last season to form that opinion, not just a single game.

I'm not questioning his talent, I just think most of their game winning play comes from elsewhere. He's not a halfback in the mould of Johnathon Thurston, as I said, he's more of a Cronk style halfback, which there is nothing wrong with that, but you don't go to him every week to win you a game. Foran has far more impact on their wins IMO.

See I actually think that in the last two or three years Cooper Cronk has been more valuable than JT. Thurston has a supreme attacking game but Cronk really steers his side around the park and gets the unit working in sync. DCE is the same and I think football teams win more games in this fashion throughout a season, than the odd close match where a big play from say Thurston, Marshall or Foran pull a rabbit out of the hat. Again just my opinion, not saying you are wrong.

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade

I had always rated Foran above DCE too, but in recent times I feel DCE is closing that gap, both great players.

Hutty1986

Immortal
We should be chasing DCE with everything we've got. I've always loved B. Stewart but the Manly halfback should be our priority. He is a gun

Breathingfire

Juniors
We should be chasing DCE with everything we've got. I've always loved B. Stewart but the Manly halfback should be our priority. He is a gun

I'd love to get Snake but I feel that you could build an entire team around DCE. Whereas Snake could find life difficult if he doesn't get good support from a playmaker. That is not a criticism of Snake, but his strength has always been running off good halves.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I had always rated Foran above DCE too, but in recent times I feel DCE is closing that gap, both great players.

They're the best halves pairing in the game, and I agree the DCE is closing the gap on Foran. But for mine, Foran is still the much better player, but their styles complement each other really well. Foran is a genuine star, DCE could still be another Hodkinson at this point... Point is DCE isn't a 400k/year halfback yet, whether he gets there will take another 3 or so years to find out.

Last edited:
I reckon Manly might find a way to offer him a pay increase of some type (maybe by dumping someone else), but seriously 100k to 600k, thats half a million bucks a year.. you cant turn that down.

Dont know if he has some affiliation with Hasler though.

You'd think with Reynolds and Hodgekinson dogs wouldnt throw big dollars @ him, Souths definetely will having lost Sandow, having said that we should make a play for him.

Breathingfire

Juniors
They're the best halves pairing in the game, and I agree the DCE is closing the gap on Foran. But for mine, Foran is still the much better player, but their styles complement each other really well. Foran is a genuine star, DCE could still be another Hodkinson at this point... Point is DCE isn't a 400k/year halfback yet, whether he gets there will take another 3 or so years to find out.

DCE had a much bigger hand in the GF win than Foran too don't forget. Scored a brilliant try himself, laid on the Stewart try with the inside ball. Gave G Stewart the ball he popped for Lyon. Saved a try getting back to clean up a grubber when the Warriors were on the come back. It is quite obvious he has much more natural talent and footballing ability than Hodkinson. He has already won a premiership and made an Australian squad for a start.

Last edited:

st.phil

Bench
Sandow is on 500k+ - if anyone thinks DCE aint worth / couldn't get that they are kidding themselves. He is the best young player in the game.

He won't be coming to Saints so much ado...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
DCE had a much bigger hand in the GF win than Foran too don't forget. Scored a brilliant try himself, laid on the Stewart try with the inside ball. Gave G Stewart the ball he popped for Lyon. Saved a try getting back to clean up a grubber when the Warriors were on the come back. It is quite obvious he has much more natural talent and footballing ability than Hodkinson. He has already won a premiership and made an Australian squad for a start.

All good points... Did you witness the earlier finals games where he floated in and out? Even in the GF I think some of those bigger plays tend to hide some of the flaws in the performance. As I said I think he's a pretty big talent, but the talk about him at this stage is a little premature. I mean they were talking about putting him in origin over Cronk on NRL on fox last night. DCE is part talented player, part media hype machine.

Foran is unquestionably the better player in the manly halves pairing, my comparison to Hodkinson was merely a situational comparison. Manly has another incredibly talented half coming through whose name escapes me, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them draw a line in the sand.

I would like to see him play season 2 before we actually see a value put on him on the player market. Tim Smith would be a millionaire if he demanded contract negotiations after season 1.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Sandow is on 500k+ - if anyone thinks DCE aint worth / couldn't get that they are kidding themselves. He is the best young player in the game.

He won't be coming to Saints so much ado...

Parramatta paid massive overs for Sandow when they desperately needed a half. I wouldn't be using that salary as a benchmark.

TheRev

Coach
It probably doesnt really matter, if we have signed Stewart, then there would unlikely to be any money for DCE.. but still we can hope ;-)

We seem to be placing a lot of faith in Kyle playing 6 or 7 very soon, but the kid has yet to play a game there (well not in 1st grade).

Latest posts