What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Belin Named In NRL Nines Squad

watatank

Coach
De Belin hasn't even made the Country team yet (he'll probably make it this year), long way from rep football.

I think he's really only just starting to deliver on some of that early promise that he had. He has the ability to play Origin and he has time on his side but he's a long way from Origin IMO. Next stage needs to be establishing a starting spot and playing long minutes there, which will be a hard enough task as it is. If he can do that he can build a real case for an Origin spot.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
Hindmarsh 17 SOO 1 try winning % 41 so lets hope he goes better than that if he makes it.

Hindy was a good honest uncompromising footballer however NSW have continually gone for this style of back rower and NSW always come up short..

Hindy was key player in the NSW side that dominated 3 series in a row (nearly 4 and people were scared the Origin concept was dead) right before QLD went on their streak of 8 consecutive series wins. He was a great Origin backrower, no amount of essays from you can prove otherwise.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
debelin being compared to hindmarsh? :lol: that's a laugh

hindy was regularly bouncing defenders off him before he broke into rep footy, and for years in his peak was averaging 1st to 2nd in yardage and tries scored for backrowers.

debelin showed some promise at the back end of last season but doesn't shine hindy's bumcrack for what he's produced to date

giboz71

First Grade
I remember when Bennett brought him into grade, I thought to myself he would be a rep player for years to come. Was NYC player of the year that year and he absolutely ripped in his first few games under Bennett.

Unfortunately, he suffered under Price - where zero players in our squad developed their game.

His stats from last year are actually quite impressive and it's pretty clear he's doing better under Mary. Hopefully this year he will reach his early potential.

As for Origin, not sure he's ready yet, maybe next year. Would prefer him available for us the entire year anyway.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mann Named In NRL Nines Squad

Wed 20th January, 12:00PM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons utility Kurt Mann is keen to finally represent the Club after being named in the team to take part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.
Mann joined the team during the off-season and is excited to have the opportunity to link-up with his teammates on the field in the high-tempo games.
“It’s a different kind of game as its very fast paced and very fatiguing as well; it might not seem that long being only nine minutes but it feels a lot longer whilst playing,” said Mann.
“All the players have been very welcoming since I moved to the Dragons and I am happy to finally have the chance to link-up with whoever else Paul McGregor names in the team.”
The Dragons have been included in the Piha Pool alongside the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Gold Coast Titans and Canberra Raiders in the two-day tournament to be staged on Saturday, February 6 and Sunday, February 7.
All 16 NRL teams will enter the tournament which carries prize money of more than $AU2.4 million.
The teams, which have nine players, are split into the four pools and play nine minute halves.
The top two teams from each group advance to the knockout stage of the tournament before the two top teams play in the final.
The full squads for the pre-season fixtures are yet to be finalised but all players, provided they are fit, will either be competing against the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls at Redlands or taking part in the NRL Auckland Nines as both events are on the same weekend.
Each day the Dragons will reveal an additional member of the travelling squads for either the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls or NRL Auckland Nines team, alternating the teams, via dragons.com.au and our respective social media channels.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/...in_nrl_ni.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan Named In NRL Nines Squad

St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Josh Dugan has been named in the team to take part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.
The Australia international is looking forward to returning to the fast-paced arena and is keen to learn from his previous outing in the nine-man game.
"I'm looking forward to competing in the Nines Tournament once again as I enjoy the attacking style of footy that it offers," said Dugan.
"It will be a good opportunity for me to work on my game ahead of the new season and see where I am up to with my own conditioning."
NRL Nines Squad: Jack de Belin
Euan Aitken
Josh Dugan

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/01/20/dugan_named_in_nrl_n.html

The Nick

Bench
Whoever came up with the "name one player a day" strategy should be fired. Ridiculous and unnecessary.

Oust Doust.

isaiah

Bench
Dugan Named In NRL Nines Squad

St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Josh Dugan has been named in the team to take part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.
The Australia international is looking forward to returning to the fast-paced arena and is keen to learn from his previous outing in the nine-man game.
"I'm looking forward to competing in the Nines Tournament once again as I enjoy the attacking style of footy that it offers," said Dugan.
"It will be a good opportunity for me to work on my game ahead of the new season and see where I am up to with my own conditioning."
NRL Nines Squad: Jack de Belin
Euan Aitken
Josh Dugan

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/01/20/dugan_named_in_nrl_n.html
Does anyone think these three can defend the whole field against 9 players that other clubs will field on the day?

Old Timer

Coach
Hindy was key player in the NSW side that dominated 3 series in a row (nearly 4 and people were scared the Origin concept was dead) right before QLD went on their streak of 8 consecutive series wins. He was a great Origin backrower, no amount of essays from you can prove otherwise.

I didn't draw the initial Hindmarsh comparison and I actually think De Belin is well short of him in almost all aspects of his game.

No one said Hindmarsh wasn't good I just gave the sats and said I hope he goes better than Hindy.

If I was picking my best back row from the last 15 years Hindy would not figure in my team but that does not mean I didn't like him or think he wasn't a good player.

NSW have continually picked forwards who have high work ethic like Hindy and whilst we have had some sporadic success there has been no dynasty like Qld built.

So therefore I think that style of player is part of the ongoing problem therefore if De Belin is that style of player (which is someone else's comparison) I believe it will do our origin chances no good.

As I said I think origin players need to be able to turn a game and I do not see that in De Belin.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
I didn't draw the initial Hindmarsh comparison and I actually think De Belin is well short of him in almost all aspects of his game.

No one said Hindmarsh wasn't good I just gave the sats and said I hope he goes better than Hindy.

If I was picking my best back row from the last 15 years Hindy would not figure in my team but that does not mean I didn't like him or think he wasn't a good player.

NSW have continually picked forwards who have high work ethic like Hindy and whilst we have had some sporadic success there has been no dynasty like Qld built.

So therefore I think that style of player is part of the ongoing problem therefore if De Belin is that style of player (which is someone else's comparison) I believe it will do our origin chances no good.

As I said I think origin players need to be able to turn a game and I do not see that in De Belin.

and that's why you don't rate hindmarsh as one of the best in the last 15 years, because you remember him for what he became instead of what made him alongside tallis and sbw the most potent attacking weapons in the game.

st.phil

Bench
+1 to some - individual announcements for a pre-season trial / comp is absurd and strangely pathetic. Clearly they are looking to bulk up their online traffic and output...fresh hits on the page per announcement etc. However like many strings to the clubs strategic business / marketing bow, the rationale is bogus and dumb...and treats the "viewer" with a degree of contempt.

Marketing Johnny / Jane one..."I have an idea! We'll divide a 17 man squad announcement into 17 announcements...thats 17 times better than announcing them all at once!!"

Marketing Johnny / Jane two..."Genius"!

Old Timer

Coach
and that's why you don't rate hindmarsh as one of the best in the last 15 years, because you remember him for what he became instead of what made him alongside tallis and sbw the most potent attacking weapons in the game.

Gotta love it when you tell me what I'm thinking.

I fully remember Hindmarsh both early and late in his career and assure you I judge people fairly not just by picking the eyes out of either the good or the bad.

I do not agree with your estimation of him in respect of "potent attacking weapon".

I acknowledge his achievements but believe there have been better thus he wouldn't make my starting line up from the last 15 years.

Now getting back to De Belin I still think he has a long, long way to go before he would be a candidate for SOO however in his opinion he is ready for it, made for it etc and I don't agree with him.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
Gotta love it when you tell me what I'm thinking.

I fully remember Hindmarsh both early and late in his career and assure you I judge people fairly not just by picking the eyes out of either the good or the bad.

I do not agree with your estimation of him in respect of "potent attacking weapon".

I acknowledge his achievements but believe there have been better thus he wouldn't make my starting line up from the last 15 years.

Now getting back to De Belin I still think he has a long, long way to go before he would be a candidate for SOO however in his opinion he is ready for it, made for it etc and I don't agree with him.

up until 2006ish he was leading the nrl if not top 3-5 in both tries and total meters for backrowers year in year out. people just seem to forget this because of how he evolved....if that's not "potent attacking weapon" what is?

duck

Juniors
Hindmarsh was a great back rower in both defence and attack and imo the best in the game at the time. He actually trialled with us when he was a pudgy teenager. We told him don't call us, we'll call you. We never did. Shame.
DeBellin is in the same mould but streets behind.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mann Named In NRL Nines Squad

Fri 22nd January, 12:00PM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons utility Kurt Mann is keen to finally represent the Club after being named in the team to take part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.
Mann joined the team during the off-season and is excited to have the opportunity to link-up with his teammates on the field in the high-tempo games.
“It’s a different kind of game as its very fast paced and very fatiguing as well; it might not seem that long being only nine minutes but it feels a lot longer whilst playing,” said Mann.
“All the players have been very welcoming since I moved to the Dragons and I am happy to finally have the chance to link-up with whoever else Paul McGregor names in the team.”

www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/01/20/mann_named_in_nrl_ni.html

Wynnum-Manly Seagulls Squad:
Gareth Widdop (c)
Joel Thompson
Ben Creagh
Mike Cooper
NRL Nines Squad:
Jack de Belin
Euan Aitken
Josh Dugan
Kurt Mann

Hutty1986

Immortal
haha I thought these individual announcements were a p*ss-take, but clearly not. A rare error from what has been an improved marketing and promotion team in the past 12 months or so.

The Nick

Bench
By now the club would surely realise this announcement strategy is a complete dud but they've come this far and now they have to keep going with it. Kind of like Steve Price's 3 year tenure as head coach.