What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

redv13

Bench
I do feel sorry for Young.

He’s got a bunch of haters out there, purely because he came under Mary’s wing.

Which means no matter which option he chooses, he’ll be lambasted.

Gets the first grade gig ongoing? Another old boys job. Only got it because of the Illawarra Mafia & his dad on the board.

Doesn’t apply for the first grade gig? Not up for it, waste of space putting him in for the remainder of this year, costing new blood their spot in the team.

Looks for a job elsewhere? Sour grapes. (despite the fact the haters were also saying he needs to get outside experience)

Sticks around to be assistant? Will just be whiteanting Griffin & blamed for any 2021 f**kups.
Illawarra footy 101 champ

Maddragon99

Juniors
Interesting how some people use the terminology "he can come back" in respect of the situation that DY leaves the club.

The correct and professional approach is he can't just come back however just like any other potential candidate he can apply for any positions that are vacant.

No fear or favour just a proper assessment of his achievements and credentials as to whether he is a suitable appointment.

Time to toughen up in respect of all things St GI.

Ben Hornby is another name to pick into the mix for a future coaching role. Ben would actually be ahead of Deano given that Ben is serving under Bennett.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He should have been moved on like every other assistant over the last 4-5 years, not protected. Standard Illawarra right there. Whinge all you like buddy boy but he was the only assistant under Merlin that survived the shit storm since 2015
That still doesn’t make any sense in context of my post.

And is the word “Illawarra” meant to be some kind of insult or demeaning term?

redv13

Bench
That still doesn’t make any sense in context of my post.

And is the word “Illawarra” meant to be some kind of insult or demeaning term?
Switch on orange man. He should never have been in contention in the first place. He should have been moved on the same time Hornby was. If it’s true as reported why were Illawarra pushing for Furner not Griffin?? Furner as a coach is worse than Mcflop but apparently the Illawarra side wanted him. Mmm makes you wonder....

Old Timer

Coach
I do feel sorry for Young.

He’s got a bunch of haters out there, purely because he came under Mary’s wing.

Which means no matter which option he chooses, he’ll be lambasted.

Gets the first grade gig ongoing? Another old boys job. Only got it because of the Illawarra Mafia & his dad on the board.

Doesn’t apply for the first grade gig? Not up for it, waste of space putting him in for the remainder of this year, costing new blood their spot in the team.

Looks for a job elsewhere? Sour grapes. (despite the fact the haters were also saying he needs to get outside experience)

Sticks around to be assistant? Will just be whiteanting Griffin & blamed for any 2021 f**kups.
I am positive that you are missing the intent of some people's posts.

A major complaint is that Young was gifted his position for no good reason other than the theory that you subscribe to which is "he bleeds red & white" and / or "he was a club legend".

You make a statement in defence such as
"He’s got a bunch of haters out there, purely because he came under Mary’s wing."

He didn't just come under Mary's wing he was strategically placed under it and ultimately protected by it and DY himself took full advantage of the situation and in the meantime his good mate Hornby along with many others were all thrown under the bus.

Not once did DY put his hand up in defence of anybody (so much for team player and legend) and he took full advantage of every single opportunity despite doing nothing to earn his position.

His opportunism is there for all to see (except you) and to think he is now stubbing his toe and kicking rocks about missing out says it all.

The divine right of King's is not applicable to our footy club and DY should have immediately upon retirement put himself in a position to learn from those with real ability but instead he has chosen to remain at the club under the most impotent coaches we have had since the JV and probably since his father for that matter and all the while thinking he would be presented with the Steve Bradbury moment.

FFS if he put his hat in the ring at any other club for the HC role he would most likely have not rated an interview.

He has done nothing post playing career to warrant being in any discussion re HC roles and his playing career should have had nothing to do with his suitability to be part of our coaching staff.

"Same shit different day" and "we don't know what we will get from this playing group" showed clearly the qualities lacking in his CV.

The "tough guy" approach was little more than theatrics (and probably modelled on Albert's days as a detective doing interviews) and a person with any modicum of nous and people skills might have said

"Our players keep making the same mistakes week in week out and that is unacceptable and rest assured I will drop even the most senior of players where necessary and allow other players to secure a regular starting position if good enough"
and
"I know exactly what we are getting from this playing group and that is inconsistency which is unacceptable. We do well at training and let ourselves down on game day and rest assured I will drop even the most senior of players where necessary and allow other players to secure a regular starting position if good enough"

Ask yourself in all honesty would he have been given an initial let alone ongoing opportunity at any other club so soon after finishing playing?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Switch on orange man. He should never have been in contention in the first place. He should have been moved on the same time Hornby was. If it’s true as reported why were Illawarra pushing for Furner not Griffin?? Furner as a coach is worse than Mcflop but apparently the Illawarra side wanted him. Mmm makes you wonder....
He’s the interim coach.

If the club entrusted him with the role for the rest of the season, why shouldn’t he be able to stick his hand up?

Doesn’t mean he’s automatically selected.

The best available candidate has been appointed, so you can go on and on about your bizarre Illawarra rant as it’s clearly not true.

redv13

Bench
He’s the interim coach.

If the club entrusted him with the role for the rest of the season, why shouldn’t he be able to stick his hand up?

Doesn’t mean he’s automatically selected.

The best available candidate has been appointed, so you can go on and on about your bizarre Illawarra rant as it’s clearly not true.
You still don’t get it do you?? Wakey wakey Stanley

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I am positive that you are missing the intent of some people’s posts
No, I’m not.

I’m pointing out that he’s on a hiding to nothing from anyone who dislikes him, not from everyone.

It’s a shame you didn’t realise this before spending so much time on your reply.

The current vitriol for Young at the moment reminds me of the Doust incident years back at the member forum where he dismissed the person who complained about the lack of sauce at Kogarah.

He got criticised for that. Saying he was rude to the member. But if he’d stopped to discuss the issue of sauce, Doust’s detractors would have criticised him for not paying enough attention to football matters.

If someone dislikes a figure in power, no matter what they do will be correct.

redv13

Bench
For the life of me can you explain how he survived the clean out after 2019?? He was the defensive coach and we as a club defended like the Illawarra Steelers in the late 80’s. That should have been the end but no 2020 there he is again and the same old rubbish is dished up week after week. Then when he misses out he kicks stones and acts like a little spoilt kid throwing his toys out of the cot!!