What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

gitano

Juniors
Had a chance to roll the dice and try something different with the games he had. Prospective coaches only get an interview process, he had a free swing and has really only offered up the same 'I try really hard and compete really hard' schtick.

There's more to it I get that, he obviously knows the game, but he hasn't grabbed the chance by the balls.

True_Believer

Juniors
I do believe that Dean Young ultimately wants what is best for the club. If that meant him having to seek opportunities elsewhere to continue serving his apprenticeship, then he has done the right thing. For that, we can only applaud him.

I also believe that Dean is smarter than our previous coach, who just could not see (or more likely simply chose to ignore) the writing on the wall even though it was there for so long. He could not stay on as an assistant here knowing that scrutiny would continually be on him as the 'old boy' possibly undermining the head coach.

I also applaud the club, and in particular Ryan Webb, who has no doubt worked behind the scenes and battled the factions to ensure that the right decisions have been made in order to give this ship a chance at turning around. Ryan did also mention that Dean Youngs' performance as interim would be judged on in these concluding rounds - and the reality is the performances have not been up to scratch, so I'm also willing to bet that Ryan has played a part by having a conversation with Dean with regards to seeking opportunities elsewhere.

This gives us the fresh start and new outside perspectives that we need. Hook is bringing in all his own staff which ensures accountability from day one. Personally, I'm under no illusions that some more pain is still to come as we get the playing roster sorted out and as the remaining crop settle into what will be a 'new normal'. But if Hook and his staff are unable to start pointing the ship in the right direction within these first two years (that includes astute recruitment, retention and promotion from the junior stocks) that's all on them.

I agree @matPORTS and @Gareth67 .

The way I see it is that DY has only ever really known the Mary way of coaching and the STGI structures. He may have thought he had some fresh ideas but the last few weeks may have been an eye opener for him.

I've read that he was offered a place on Griffins team as an assistant but has chosen to move on. I'm guessing that move was more about building his experience, knowledge and exposure to the way different clubs work as opposed to "cracking the shits" and moving on because he didn't get the job.

Besides, at this early point in his coaching career, the best chance of him securing the job was right here. I think he has come to realise that in order for him to be successful in the future, he needs to get exposure elsewhere.

Dragsters

First Grade
I agree @matPORTS and @Gareth67 .

The way I see it is that DY has only ever really known the Mary way of coaching and the STGI structures. He may have thought he had some fresh ideas but the last few weeks may have been an eye opener for him.

I've read that he was offered a place on Griffins team as an assistant but has chosen to move on. I'm guessing that move was more about building his experience, knowledge and exposure to the way different clubs work as opposed to "cracking the shits" and moving on because he didn't get the job.

Besides, at this early point in his coaching career, the best chance of him securing the job was right here. I think he has come to realise that in order for him to be successful in the future, he needs to get exposure elsewhere.

I agree.

He is still very young and I think he realises the importance of expanding his knowledge base and learning from other systems in order to build his resume.

It's the best move for him...

Mjab

Juniors
Had a chance to roll the dice and try something different with the games he had. Prospective coaches only get an interview process, he had a free swing and has really only offered up the same 'I try really hard and compete really hard' schtick.

There's more to it I get that, he obviously knows the game, but he hasn't grabbed the chance by the balls.
Agree
he blew an opportunity
Payton took his and owned it , now a first grade coach and i think and hope he will do well

He could have come in dropped some non performers (including turnstile) and made some game plan changes and I think a lot more people would have been impressed if he did that and won a few more he could have had a better chance

instead same old shit , same old team sheet, same old bench management ,1/4 wins and nobody impressed

I respect the guy as a player, a great servant to the club
I now respect the fact he is moving on to learn elsewhere and would welcome him back when he has the skillset and improved himself ready to be a good 1st grade coach

but we have to remember he has been part of the problem here

denis preston

First Grade
Agree
he blew an opportunity
Payton took his and owned it , now a first grade coach and i think and hope he will do well

He could have come in dropped some non performers (including turnstile) and made some game plan changes and I think a lot more people would have been impressed if he did that and won a few more he could have had a better chance

instead same old shit , same old team sheet, same old bench management ,1/4 wins and nobody impressed

I respect the guy as a player, a great servant to the club
I now respect the fact he is moving on to learn elsewhere and would welcome him back when he has the skillset and improved himself ready to be a good 1st grade coach

but we have to remember he has been part of the problem here

Spot on ! Interesting for me how the nuff nuffs in the media tried to create a aura around Young that he was the next best thing, "The guy can coach " etc but absolutely ignoring his coaching record in wins v losses over the past 5 years.. Great clubman but very glad he has gone as it is best for him & us . For me his experiences over the past years will add no value for another club and perhaps should end his coaching career ( its a hard cruel world out there ) other than finding his way back to his former meal ticket courtesy of his dad. I'd love him to come back to us as the next best thing rather than a failed AS who couldn't cut it on his own.

BBTB

Juniors
I do believe that Dean Young ultimately wants what is best for the club. If that meant him having to seek opportunities elsewhere to continue serving his apprenticeship, then he has done the right thing. For that, we can only applaud him.

I also believe that Dean is smarter than our previous coach, who just could not see (or more likely simply chose to ignore) the writing on the wall even though it was there for so long. He could not stay on as an assistant here knowing that scrutiny would continually be on him as the 'old boy' possibly undermining the head coach.

I also applaud the club, and in particular Ryan Webb, who has no doubt worked behind the scenes and battled the factions to ensure that the right decisions have been made in order to give this ship a chance at turning around. Ryan did also mention that Dean Youngs' performance as interim would be judged on in these concluding rounds - and the reality is the performances have not been up to scratch, so I'm also willing to bet that Ryan has played a part by having a conversation with Dean with regards to seeking opportunities elsewhere.

This gives us the fresh start and new outside perspectives that we need. Hook is bringing in all his own staff which ensures accountability from day one. Personally, I'm under no illusions that some more pain is still to come as we get the playing roster sorted out and as the remaining crop settle into what will be a 'new normal'. But if Hook and his staff are unable to start pointing the ship in the right direction within these first two years (that includes astute recruitment, retention and promotion from the junior stocks) that's all on them.
You've nailed it.... Some good hard nosed forwards.
And a larger, fast fullback, that can tackle.

Old Timer

Coach
Are you drunk or putting on a bad Italian accent?
Is pedantry your standard "go to" or are you just plain stupid and unable to understand intent let alone comprehend it?

I see you love to go with the "drunk" tag for people so you obviously have little regard for people that suffer with alcoholism.

Hardly a very christian or understanding attitude of a major health issue by the moralistic muzby.

To think you carry on about AFB and his choice of words and all the while fail to understand the hurt you might be doing to people and who can forget your dishing out.

Poor form you merkin.

Hopefully we snag AFB and you piss off a real win win.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Is pedantry your standard "go to" or are you just plain stupid and unable to understand intent let alone comprehend it?

I see you love to go with the "drunk" tag for people so you obviously have little regard for people that suffer with alcoholism.

Hardly a very christian or understanding attitude of a major health issue by the moralistic muzby.

To think you carry on about AFB and his choice of words and all the while fail to understand the hurt you might be doing to people and who can forget your dishing out.

Poor form you merkin.

Hopefully we snag AFB and you piss off a real win win.
Gracie amico, avevo bisogno di una bella risata stamattina..

Buona giornata OT..

matPORTS

Juniors
We need to also face the fact - there is every chance that one day Dean Young might become our full time head coach. We can never rule out this possibility. It's in our DNA !

Additionally, he also needs to go and get himself a run on Brad Fittlers' or Mal Meningas' staff at rep level (even go and see if you can get a run with Madge on the NZ staff). Working with the Tongans was a good start. But he'll have to take it up a notch if he plans to be successful long term. I'm not talking just being a glorified water boy either.

As part of his further journey and development he needs to own his part for the massive mistakes, errors, lack of good judgement and lack of foresight that have set our club back for years, and then come back all the stronger and wiser for it.

I wish him all the very best and hope he does succeed in his journey to become a full time head coach.

Latest posts