What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definition of a choke?

Ridders

Coach
Now i'm not one to defend the Dragons, and i'm somewhat glad to see them fail. However it's clear that the choking tags will no doubt start flowing in.

My question is, if you are outplayed in both of your finals games, does that really constitute a choke or simply that you weren't good enough?

Last edited:
Bearing who I support, I am not one to go around pointing the choking finger.

But nerves have a lot to do with it.

Dropped balls, missed tackles - players getting the sh*ts with each other.

See Eels vs Cowboys Prelim 05

Tonight had a bit to do with nerves and lack of confidence - Sailor dropping a bomb, lot of mistakes and incomplete sets.

To call their season a "choke" is far too simplistic - League is too long a season and fickle-minded for anyone to predict what can happen, and for any team to have a good or bad run is not out of the ordinary.

Bad timing, with all the pressure getting to them.

Call it whatever you want. It's a loss that ends a season and that in itself is harder to take than anything that could be said on a forum.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I thought the defintion of a choke would be cruising along playing well then suddenly being kicked out in one crucial game. Saints have been winding down playing some ordinary footy for weeks. I think it's more a case of peaking too early, not choking.

mickdo

Coach
How can being minor premiers and then losing in straight sets to teams 6 & 8 NOT be a choke? It's almost the pure definition...

Patsy

Juniors
they lost 5 out of their last 6 games - they were no where near good enough and nothing will change in 2010.

Ridders

Coach
I thought the defintion of a choke would be cruising along playing well then suddenly being kicked out in one crucial game. Saints have been winding down playing some ordinary footy for weeks. I think it's more a case of peaking too early, not choking.

Precisely. Even though it still hurts, for me a classic example of a choke is what we did in the Prelim Final against the Broncos in 06'. We were cruising into halftime, up 20-6 i think. And then from half-time onwards, we just started firing blanks. For me that is a classic example of a choke

Amazingly we've done that in about 20 games in the last two years.

whistle1

Juniors
"Choke"
An act in which a team or a person collapse when they are expected to win no matter what the other team does."

Ridders

Coach
How can being minor premiers and then losing in straight sets to teams 6 & 8 NOT be a choke? It's almost the pure definition...

They've been playing poorly for a while and lost alot of their games going into the Finals. If not for their thrashing of the Eels in the final regular season round, very few would have considered the Dragons title favourites.

Dee

Juniors
When the engine is first started, a very rich air/fuel mixture is required because cold fuel vaporizes slowly. The "choke" at the top of the carburetor provides the richer mixture by closing and "choking off" the carburetor's air supply. The choking effect also creates an area of low pressure inside the throat of the carburetor that helps to pull additional fuel through the main metering circuit. At idle there isn't enough air flowing through the venturi to pull fuel through the venturi discharge nozzle. By temporarily choking off the air supply, however, manifold vacuum rather than venturi vacuum helps to draw the extra fuel through the main metering circuit.

Eels Dude

Coach
The Dragons choked, plain and simple. They set the benchmark all season yet failed to deliver when it counts. That's what a choke is, it's not specific to one game. The fact the Dragons were good enough to be minor premiers yet be bundled out in straight sets to 8th and 6th in the semis is a choke.

Avenger

Immortal
The Dragons choked, plain and simple. They set the benchmark all season yet failed to deliver when it counts. That's what a choke is, it's not specific to one game. The fact the Dragons were good enough to be minor premiers yet be bundled out in straight sets to 8th and 6th in the semis is a choke.

Exactly, well said. It's good to see that we have captured the imagination of the league world while Saints deliver their usual cliched finish.

mickdo

Coach
They've been playing poorly for a while and lost alot of their games going into the Finals. If not for their thrashing of the Eels in the final regular season round, very few would have considered the Dragons title favourites.

Whether they were playing poorly or not for 1 game or 5 is immaterial. They were still minor premiers and managed to crash straight out from that position... the FIRST time that has ever been done. They were favourites to beat us last week. Choke.

Eelectrica

Referee
Dragons ran out of gas at the wrong end of the year.
Whatever anyone wants to call it though, it's the same net result for the dragons - no major title. Only the minor one.

Parra took the opening 3 months of the season off. Brisbane took a holiday half way through.
Both teams turned up just in time for the finals and are both on a roll.