What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dell's future according to Lett

Bring back choc

Juniors
we need Josh morris back.

Yet again our recruitment has f#$ked our club. The sooner the club stops playing favourites with players who quite seriously would struggle to make starting 13 at other clubs, the sooner we win a comp. It's really not hard. We got the best coach, now we need the best management. It's holding us back badly.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It's because most people's prefer a Brett Morris style fullback.

Personally while I don't think Boyd's try scoring record is particularly great it's not a major concern...not when we had Soward, Morris and Sailor scoring quite a number of tries this year.
Whilst I'm a big fan of Boyd, we did lack some good support options when offloads were available. You really need a fullback punching holes through the line if you're going to have a strong attack in this comp. It's no surprise that Melbourne and Parra made the GF with the likes of Slater and Hayne in their sides.

If teams know they aren't going to get hurt up the middle with a chance offload and a fullback flying through, then they know they don't have to play as compressed. It limits your chances out wide. Darius really needs to work on his support play, he only ever really played as a link man quite often with a slowly delivered pass. We can't just rely on Soward for this aspect of the game, he has too many things to do on the field already, we can't expect him to be there every half chance.

I don't think Morris at fullback is the answer either, he's a better winger IMO. Michael Lett has played plenty of fullback in his time, whether that would hold up in first grade I do not know, he is however a quality support runner.

legend_ss

Juniors
if Dell was to be retired i would have the top 7 as follows each week.
1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Boyd
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Soward
7. Fein

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
our attack was pop gun, we need much more in semi finals, I dont have the answer.
Every year is different, I hope next year is a great year.

watatank

Coach
Whilst I'm a big fan of Boyd, we did lack some good support options when offloads were available. You really need a fullback punching holes through the line if you're going to have a strong attack in this comp. It's no surprise that Melbourne and Parra made the GF with the likes of Slater and Hayne in their sides.

If teams know they aren't going to get hurt up the middle with a chance offload and a fullback flying through, then they know they don't have to play as compressed. It limits your chances out wide. Darius really needs to work on his support play, he only ever really played as a link man quite often with a slowly delivered pass. We can't just rely on Soward for this aspect of the game, he has too many things to do on the field already, we can't expect him to be there every half chance.

I don't think Morris at fullback is the answer either, he's a better winger IMO. Michael Lett has played plenty of fullback in his time, whether that would hold up in first grade I do not know, he is however a quality support runner.

There's valid points raised and I don't disagree with them.

In saying that I think Boyd is worth persisting with at fullback. He was brilliant defensively this season and was quite solid in attack. He seemed to be heading in the right directions in terms of that five eighth type role Bennett likes in his fullbacks, in any case he is going to be a more rounded fullback and player. Sure there are plenty in his game that needs improving but he's a very talented player, it's not as though it's beyond him. Boyd has the ability to displace Slater from rep teams in a year or two IMO, as such I'd say there's plenty of merit in keeping him there.

STGI

Juniors
A mate of mine was talking to Michael Lett at the NSW Aboriginal Knockout in Armidale on the weekend, and asked him what was happening with Wendell's future. Lett reckoned that Dell was as good as retired and that Bennett had promised him first crack at Dell's vacant wing spot. I'm not sure what this means for Nightingale, but I speculate that our backline will look like this next season:

1 Boyd
2 Morris
3 Tagive
4 Cooper
5 Lett
6 Sowie
7 Hornby

Funny how things turn out. Lett doesn't play any any first grade games after 09 and Nightingale becomes an international

The Nick

Bench
Funny how things turn out. Lett doesn't play any any first grade games after 09 and Nightingale becomes an international

Haha Tagive, there's a name I had forgotten! Looks like I was right on the money with this prediction lmao!!! :lol::crazy::lol:

watatank

Coach
He was too small. Plus timing wasn't great he tried to break into the best team with all that talent and experience on the wing.

He had hands like feet. However when he did catch the ball he was very talented

Ended up playing for Picton on Group 6

SFTG

Latest posts