What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des to join Bulldogs in 2013

DoggiesBro

Juniors
:lol:

The Kennel is full of idiot ? lol Says the guy who has practically embarrassed him self in the past two days in this thread.

Seriously Im surprised no one has told you to STFU, you have practically derailed this thread with your constant d*ck measuring contest with Ceagle.

its no contest, he told me he doesnt have one, and only what he says is true.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegrap...-e6frexnr-1226161607947

As if losing Hasler to the Bulldogs in 2013 isn't enough, Manly face the added insecurity of up to five more free agents.

One is talismanic fullback Brett Stewart, who holds a Hasler clause but is off-contract at the end of next season anyhow. Nevertheless, Stewart enjoyed enormous and unwavering support from Hasler during his well-do***ented off-field dramas in 2009 and last year.

And then there's Tony Williams, who remains off-contract for next year and was negotiating an extension when yesterday's news surrounding Hasler's defection to Belmore broke.

According to Manly insiders, several other players will be free to negotiate elsewhere when Hasler leaves.

It's believed some are clients of high-profile agent George Mimis, who has Stewart, Foran, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite and David Williams on his books.

Lets go FORAN

Doga

Juniors
Goodluck to the bulldogs... hopefully the manly players stick together through this, they still have the personal to be a real threat if they do. Toovey would not be a bad coach replacement as he has been around it all for so long.

I can honestly say that the northern beaches is gutted though, if players walk then Des's move would be meerly another cog falling off.

f**k the manly board.
Can't help but feel for the decent Manly fans out there!!!
This is true.

Also our CEO said on one of the radio shows, not to believe the media speculation that the deal was signed yesterday basically inferring it was signed a while ago.

It also confirms most of the dogs supporters claims that Des would have approached us because of the in fighting and he was the one in RLW, the high profile coach the Mole was talking about.
Yeah, did not make sense for the Dogs to approach Hasler without Hasler first expressing his interest.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
JIM DYMOCK accepts that if Des Hasler is able to start at Canterbury next season, the Bulldogs would immediately move the rookie coach sideways and install the premiership winner from Manly.

The Bulldogs yesterday prepared for an announcement today that Dymock would coach the team next year and Hasler would take over the following year on a three-year deal.

Canterbury were not expecting Hasler to be released overnight but they are watching to see how Hasler's situation at Manly plays out in the wake of the news that after steering the team to two premierships in four years he has made the decision to head to the Bulldogs in 2013.
Advertisement: Story continues below

There is a possibility that Hasler's relationship with the Manly board, which is already strained, could become untenable. If the eight-year Sea Eagles coach went early, and took over at the Bulldogs for next season, his current assistant, Geoff Toovey, would be the favourite to succeed him at Manly.

Before Manly's end-of-season presentation function last night, Toovey told the Herald there had been no indication to him that Hasler would not be coaching the Sea Eagles again next year. But Toovey is certainly interested in coaching Manly if the job becomes available.

''It's my ambition to be a first-grade coach,'' Toovey said. ''I've got the motivation and desire to do such a job. I've spoken to Des in the past about succession planning. I've served what you would call a lengthy apprenticeship, as a lower-grade coach and first-grade assistant.''

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg was unavailable for comment yesterday, but the Herald has learned Bulldogs officials have spoken to Dymock about the possible coaching scenarios for next season.

It is understood Dymock made it clear that had he been passed over for a coach with much less experience and success than someone like Hasler, he would have felt hard-done by, but he would be comfortable working under a top-flight coach such as Hasler.

If Hasler did arrive early, Dymock would be free to take a senior job elsewhere if offered one. Dymock is viewed by Canterbury as a genuine first-grade coach, but they had to take the chance to snare Hasler.

Hasler is seen by Canterbury as a great fit for the club because of his work ethic and innovative nature.

Towards the end of the just-completed season, the Bulldogs sacked Kevin Moore as coach, and Dymock, Moore's assistant, was installed as caretaker. He didn't really have time to put his imprint on the team for his first match in charge, since he had only 24 hours, but after they lost that game they won five of their remaining seven games to just miss out on the finals.

The Herald has learned that while Hasler will be very well paid to switch clubs, his main motivation for leaving the Sea Eagles is that he has grown tired of dealing with what he sees as a dysfunctional board. Manly recruitment manager Noel Cleal is expected to follow Hasler to Canterbury.

It is understood there are a number of Manly players, including Brett Stewart and Kieran Foran, who have get-out clauses in their contracts if Hasler was to leave the club.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Can't help but feel for the decent Manly fans out there!!!
Yeah, did not make sense for the Dogs to approach Hasler without Hasler first expressing his interest.

Agree but for people like Ceagle, especially after reading him on the kennel with his never happen, re-signed till 2015 keep dreaming, no players will follow lol, will be alright if we keep cleal LOL.

cant help but LOL.

ouwet

Bench
Few things... Firstly suck on that Manly, you can only blame your geniused Board/CEO.

Hasler approached the Bulldogs... NOT the other way around. It was a done deal for well over 1 month now (My posts in the other thread about Hasler)... No Sydney club can match the Bulldogs for money/resources!

Dymock was 100% kept in the loop and still is (This story isn't over) and is 100% behind the club!!! Bulldogs will be moving to the state of the art facilities @ Belmore this season, you will see the results in 2012!!!! Anyone who thinks the Bulldogs won't make the top 8 in 2012 has rocks in there heads (Quote me on that also)...

ozjet1

If you had to choose between this premiership and avoiding what has happened in the last week, would youse do it? One Manly fan mate of mine (yes I do charity work) said he'd trade in the premiership to keep Hasler long term.

f**k me dead. what a stupid proposition.

you take the premiership every time. there's no guarantee manly with hasler would win a premiership in the future just as there is no guarantee canterbury with hasler will win one. the competition doesnt stand still and other variables play their part too.

your mate is just an emotional sap.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Would Manly fans be willing to trade reality for this alternative history:

Warriors beat Manly in the grand final. With Hasler not being a dual premiership winner, the Doggies aren't willing to go as high as Manly, Hasler resigns this week until 2016. All those get out clauses become irrelevant. Manly keeps their star coach, star players, coaching staff etc. Manly go into 2012 and the next couple of years as #1 favourites.

If you had to choose between this premiership and avoiding what has happened in the last week, would youse do it? One Manly fan mate of mine (yes I do charity work) said he'd trade in the premiership to keep Hasler long term.

Nice Hype-Pathetic-Al there.

Back to reality, ffs!

dogslife

Coach
I think Tooves will do a pretty decent job, it's not as if he's walking into a team of spastics. Manly board will probably have to seek a government grant to build a high chair in the Brookvale coaches box though

Des Hasler was fed up with Manly's internal power games

IT started at the end of the last season. Only two years after winning a premiership, Des Hasler felt there were forces within the club who wanted him out.

He had been one of the most successful coaches in the club's history, yet he could sense the knives were being sharpened.

Hasler stored it in the memory bank and went about his work. In April, he watched Wayne Bennett receive the richest contract in coaching history when he decided to join Nathan Tinkler at Newcastle next season. It is believed Bennett has the potential to earn up to $2.5 million a season at the Knights.

Over the past six years, not even Bennett can match Hasler, whose coaching record earned him a reputation as one of the best in the game. Now he wanted to be paid like one. Hasler is a driven coach with a love for Manly, but he also knows his own worth.

No doubt, he took note when Tinkler layered Bennett's pockets with cash. Suddenly the coaching market was vastly inflated. Hasler was scheduled to earn $400,000 this season _ he received a bonus of $50,000 for winning the premiership _ but that is less than half what Bennett will be on next season.

The club had already begun talks over an extension but the parties were some distance apart. At the end of June, Hasler's option for next season rolled over. He was committed for 2012 but no longer than that. In the background, the politicking at Manly continued unabated.

Chairman Scott Penn has a majority share but a minority say at board level even though he tips in the bulk of the money. He was negotiating with Hasler but answerable to a sub-committee. As one club official noted yesterday: "You can't run a football club by committee."

Then the month of September arrived and the landscape changed. The Bulldogs had already approached Hasler to become their coach in 2013 but Manly only became aware of their rivals' interest when it appeared in the media.

The Bulldogs were offering big money. If that wasn't enough, Manly made the shock decision to exile one of Hasler's closest confidantes and friends, media manager Peter Peters.

Peters had fallen out with, among others, chief executive David Perry, the man hand-picked by the board to improve the club's bottom line.

Hasler had lost one of his most powerful allies. It was the most significant shift in the coaching sands. Moves were being made to water down Hasler's powers. It's the sort of thing he won't stand for, something Peters alluded to in a column he wrote on The Manly Daily website yesterday.

"The players love him, his staff revere him and the fans will cry if he leaves," Peters wrote.

"But as I know first-hand, nothing is forever. I can believe that Dessie is now on a hiding to nothing. He has climbed Everest twice in five years and to do it again would be akin to walking up the hill at The Spit. He lives his life with new challenges and in his own words he is a control freak. I figure he has looked around him at Manly and decided it's time to move on."

The Weekend Australian spoke to Penn on Thursday night and there was concern in his voice as he spoke about a planned meeting with Hasler the next day. There were rumours the Bulldogs had significantly upped their offer from the previously reported $750,000 a season but last night it was actually Manly which increased its bid considerably.

Hasler stood to earn more than $1 million a season if he stayed at Manly, placing him alongside Bennett and Melbourne's Craig Bellamy as the highest paid coaches in the game. Given his recent record, Hasler had every right to feel it was deserved. But rather than stay where he was comfortable, he opted for a new challenge.

Sea Eagles officials insist he will be at the club in 2012 but he will be gone a year later. Assistant Geoff Toovey is the man most likely to take over, although there will be a push for NSW coach Ricky Stuart, whose deal with the Blues ends next season.

Whoever replaces Hasler faces a massive challenge. As Peters noted yesterday: "If he does go it will be the biggest explosion to hit the club since Bob Fulton left the club for the Roosters straight after the 1976 grand final."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226161616786

Blame game erupts over Hasler

FOUR months ago, Manly had the chance to lock up Des Hasler until 2015 for just $550,000 a season.

And they blew it.

Now a vicious blame game has erupted at Brookvale over perhaps the greatest bungle in the club's 64-year history, which will this morning result in Hasler announcing a three-year deal to coach Canterbury from 2013 onwards.

The Daily Telegraph has also learned Sea Eagles co-owners Scott Penn and Quantum launched a last-ditch bid to keep Hasler on Wednesday, offering him $850,000 a season to remain at Manly until 2016.

But Hasler had already decided to leave, agreeing to terms with the Bulldogs on a deal worth slightly less last Friday - just 48 hours before his Sea Eagles won the grand final.

Manly's opportunity to secure Hasler long-term came in June, when a sub-committee was formed to negotiate a two-year extension.

With Wayne Bennett's $1 million-plus deal to join Newcastle announced just a few weeks earlier, Hasler wanted a pay rise to continue beyond the completion of his current deal in 2012. He also had an option in his favour for next year, which was exercised via a brief letter to Penn at the end of June.

But the Sea Eagles baulked at meeting Hasler's financial demands for an additional two-year deal.

It's believed the coach wanted $550,000 a season - a modest amount given his achievements since.

Manly, however, was under the fiscal pump. Without a major sponsor at the time, it was facing a $1.4 million loss and had approached the NRL for advances on its annual grant.

The precarious situation had stakeholders Penn, Quantum and Manly Leagues Club under enormous pressure to balance the books.

The acquisition of new major sponsor Kaspersky gave them some much-needed breathing space, and officials felt they had more time to negotiate with Hasler after his option to stay in 2012 was exercised.

Enter the Bulldogs.

With the backing of its mega-rich Leagues Club, Canterbury was perhaps the only Sydney club with the financial clout to make Hasler consider the unthinkable.

And after two years of failure, only a big-name coach would suffice.

Although caretaker Jim Dymock had done admirably in the wake of Kevin Moore's mid-season axing, Canterbury's cashed-up board was always reluctant to take a punt on another rookie.

Because there's more at stake at Belmore than on-field results.

The current board faces an election in February, and to answer challengers it needed to produce a high-profile coach.

So shortly before the finals Hasler was approached with a handsome cheque, aided and abetted by one of the code's slickest middle men - George Mimis.

The story broke soon afterwards and finally came to a head after last Sunday's decider, when Hasler was asked directly about his future.

"I'll be at Manly next year," he deadpanned.

But there was no public commitment beyond next season. And now we know why.

Penn and board member Phil Sidney, owner of Quantum, were still unaware of Hasler's intention to defect this week. They met him on Wednesday morning and discussed a three-year extension, believed to be worth $850,000 a season.

With the help of Leagues Club chairman Bob Reilly they even secured financial contributions from sponsors, who were loathe to see Hasler go. But it was simply too late.

Now Manly face a tough decision over whether to keep Hasler on for 2012, knowing full well that he intends to take many of the club's coaching staff across the spit in 2013.

Indications last night were that Manly would stand firm and compel Hasler to fulfil the final year of his deal. Reilly, whose faction controls three of the seven votes on the board, said he wanted Hasler to stay.

"Des has the job for as long as he wants," Reilly said. "There's no doubt in the world I'll be voting for him to stay. In my opinion he's the best coach in the game - better than Bennett and (Craig) Bellamy."It's understood Penn - who controls two votes - feels the same way, meaning the numbers will prevent Canterbury from getting their hands on Hasler a year early.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226161605966

typicalfan

Coach
Titans offered him 200k+ and a starting spot! Why the HELL would we match that?

He also has a terrible attitude.

I'm sure Des has an idea who he wants at 5/8.
Didn't stop you from purchasing the greedy ballhog Kris Keating did it. Keating could be the worst 5/8 in the competition of 2012, definitely below the international you let go to the Eels.

oval

Juniors
Manly need to bring in Toovey straight away.

Des, thanks for the past 7 years, but it's time to f**k off.

MatthewA

Juniors
It says a lot about what's going on at Manly when Hasler turns down $1 million+ per year to sign with the Bulldogs for under $1 million. Some thing's aren't right at Manly.

If Peter Peters keeps his big mouth shut then this would likely have never eventuated. Whilst I feel sorry for the Manly fans, I have no pity for the Manly board. After screwing over other clubs for decades they finally screwed over themselves and their fans. You can change the board members but you can't change the boards attitude and it's that same old attitude that has resulted in this saga. You had it all and you threw it away, if a club like the Sharks/Souths/Cowboys had a coach who single handedly brought them back from the brink of extinction, you could bet that they'd give that coach their entire region to keep him. Manly's board however must believe that they are responsible for the recent glory not Hasler or the players.

aqua_duck

Coach
It says a lot about what's going on at Manly when Hasler turns down $1 million+ per year to sign with the Bulldogs for under $1 million. Some thing's aren't right at Manly.

From my understanding the Manly offer was nowhere near the dogs financially.