What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des to join Bulldogs in 2013

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=22079

Hasler confirms season 2012 to be his last with Manly

Dual Premiership winning coach Des Hasler has today announced that the 2012 NRL season will be his last with the Manly Sea Eagles Club.

Des Hasler has signed to be the head coach of the Canterbury Bulldogs Club for 4 seasons from 2013 to 2016.

With the Club having appeared in 3 Grand Final's in the last 5 years and winning 2, Des felt that the time was right. Having achieved this tremendous football success against a backdrop of many challenges, Des will pursue new challenges and ambitions at the Bulldogs.

Des praises at the highest level his relationship with his players and coaching/performance staff. This has enabled the club to enjoy its successes having climbed it's way from near oblivion to the top of the NRL. Given the limited resources of the Manly Club in comparison to some NRL peers, this success had surpassed many expectations.

Des Hasler said, "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time coaching the wonderful group of young men over the last 8 years at the club. Our success is a testament to the hard work ethic and respect exhibited amongst the playing group and football staff. Despite my ongoing discussions with the Board for over 12 months regarding a new contract with the Manly club, we simply could not align our future thoughts. Whilst it would have been financially advantageous for me to stay at the Manly Club, I have elected to take up the challenge of building in a new direction with the Bulldogs from 2013. It will be business as usual for me at Manly during 2012.

ironhorse

Juniors
The fact he has gone to Canterbury for less or similar money (albeit more resources) really sends a warning signal about the Manly club,its board ,the zorba thing ...troubled times ahead

DoggiesBro

Juniors
INTERESTING!

AFTER last Sunday's grand final win, star Manly playmaker Kieran Foran declared: "I don't want to be coached by anyone else than Des Hasler".
Given Foran is believed to be one of a high-profile band of Manly players with get-out clauses should Hasler coach elsewhere, his statement would now be chilling the spines of Sea Eagles officials and supporters.
As if losing Hasler to the Bulldogs in 2013 isn't enough, Manly face the added insecurity of up to five more free agents.
One is talismanic fullback Brett Stewart, who holds a Hasler clause but is off-contract at the end of next season anyhow. Nevertheless, Stewart enjoyed enormous and unwavering support from Hasler during his well-documented off-field dramas in 2009 and last year.
And then there's Tony Williams, who remains off-contract for next year and was negotiating an extension when yesterday's news surrounding Hasler's defection to Belmore broke.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

According to Manly insiders, several other players will be free to negotiate elsewhere when Hasler leaves.
It's believed some are clients of high-profile agent George Mimis, who has Stewart, Foran, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite and David Williams on his books.
When contacted last night Mimis declined to comment because of contractual confidentiality.
But Hasler's departure will change the face of Manly as we've come to know it over the past decade.
His carefully assembled coaching staff is certain to be decimated.
Recruitment guru Noel Cleal is strongly tipped to join Hasler at Belmore, with the Bulldogs now operating without a high-profile talent spotter after Peter Mulholland's recent defection to work under Wayne Bennett at Newcastle.
There's also speculation Manly's physio, doctor and trainer will also remain loyal to Hasler.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If Foran is one of the players with a get out clause and he does want to go - surely he would go to the Warriors and Maloney will return to Australia.
Firstly, even kiwis don't want to live in Kiwiland unless they have too. Secondly, Foran has said he doesn't want to be coached by anyone else.
i think he would follow des, he said he doesnt want to play under anyone but des and the dogs would have plenty to throw at him!

1. Barba
6. Foran
7. Hodkinson
9. Ennis (C)

what a spine for years to come!
Ennis will be 29 when Des takes over....and Hodgkinson is overrated.

If Manly had balls, they'd release Des now. Des wants to be at Canterbury, and a 2012 that will have an outgoing coach with one eye on his current team and one on his next (like Bennett this year) will not be good for anyone. The best thing for Canterbury, Hasler and Manly is for Manly to release him as soon as possible.

Last edited:

ozjet1

If Manly had balls, they'd release Des now. Des wants to be at Canterbury, and a 2012 that will have an outgoing coach with on eye on his current team and one on his next (like Bennett this year) will not be good for anyone. The best thing for Canterbury, Hasler and Manly is for Manly to release him as soon as possible.

you've changed your tune all of a sudden.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Ennis is fit and will be fine for another 2-3 years, hodkinson isn't overrated people don't even really rate him mate, he was outstanding for us once moore left, again not saying he is a thurston/cronk type halfback but with ennis,foran and barba its a solid bloody spine! just need foran LOL.

typicalfan

Coach
Des has a natural passion for Manly, surely that would have increased his value as a coach for Manly, but he doesn't share that passion for the Bulldogs who seem to be the new mercenary club.

The Dogs should have kept Seizer.

ceagle

Bench
INTERESTING!

AFTER last Sunday's grand final win, star Manly playmaker Kieran Foran declared: "I don't want to be coached by anyone else than Des Hasler".
Given Foran is believed to be one of a high-profile band of Manly players with get-out clauses should Hasler coach elsewhere, his statement would now be chilling the spines of Sea Eagles officials and supporters.
As if losing Hasler to the Bulldogs in 2013 isn't enough, Manly face the added insecurity of up to five more free agents.
One is talismanic fullback Brett Stewart, who holds a Hasler clause but is off-contract at the end of next season anyhow. Nevertheless, Stewart enjoyed enormous and unwavering support from Hasler during his well-documented off-field dramas in 2009 and last year.
And then there's Tony Williams, who remains off-contract for next year and was negotiating an extension when yesterday's news surrounding Hasler's defection to Belmore broke.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

According to Manly insiders, several other players will be free to negotiate elsewhere when Hasler leaves.
It's believed some are clients of high-profile agent George Mimis, who has Stewart, Foran, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite and David Williams on his books.
When contacted last night Mimis declined to comment because of contractual confidentiality.
But Hasler's departure will change the face of Manly as we've come to know it over the past decade.
His carefully assembled coaching staff is certain to be decimated.
Recruitment guru Noel Cleal is strongly tipped to join Hasler at Belmore, with the Bulldogs now operating without a high-profile talent spotter after Peter Mulholland's recent defection to work under Wayne Bennett at Newcastle.
There's also speculation Manly's physio, doctor and trainer will also remain loyal to Hasler.
Pulling quotes out of his arse, when did he ever say that?

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Des has a natural passion for Manly, surely that would have increased his value as a coach for Manly, but he doesn't share that passion for the Bulldogs who seem to be the new mercenary club.

The Dogs should have kept Seizer.

Titans offered him 200k+ and a starting spot! Why the HELL would we match that?

He also has a terrible attitude.

I'm sure Des has an idea who he wants at 5/8.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
No he didn't. Do you take everything at face value when you read a news report?

No your right, i should believe you the person who is spewing they just lost their coach, let me guess the media also making up any get our clauses AND des really isn't leaving manly. its all bullshit made up to aggrovate you.

ceagle

Bench
No, i only listen to and believe what you say.

Which means Des is still signed with Manly to 2015 right?:lol:
Yeah, that just proves my point, journalist are bullshit artists.

Your mates over at the Kennel want you to stop embarrassing them.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Hasler signs four year deal

Canterbury-Bankstown confirm that Manly coach Des Hasler will join them in 2013 after one last year with the Sea Eagles.

Hasler says the inability to see eye-to-eye with the Manly board was the main reason for his decision to join Canterbury not a bigger pay packet.

Hasler said in a statement that he was offered more money to stay at the Sea Eagles, but is leaving to take up a new challenge at the start of the 2013 NRL season.

The Bulldogs announced on Saturday that the two-time premiership-winning coach had agreed a four-year deal, with Jim Dymock holding the reins during the 2012 campaign before becoming assistant coach.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time coaching this wonderful group of young men over the last eight years at the club," Hasler said.

"Our success is a testament to the hard work ethic and respect exhibited amongst the playing group and football staff.

"Despite my ongoing discussions with the board for over 12 months regarding a new contract with the Manly club, we simply could not align our future thoughts.

"Whilst it would have been financially advantageous for me to stay at the Manly club, I have elected to take up the challenge of building in a new direction with the Bulldogs from 2013.

Are both the Bulldogs and Manly's 2012 seasons pointless as they already are looking to 2013?

"It will be business as usual for me at Manly during 2012."

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said he was delighted to get Hasler on board.

"This move, together with the decision to give Jim Dymock the next 12 months to make his mark as a head coach, is all about giving our football program a long term focus, vision and structure," Greenberg said.

"The signing of Des Hasler is a decision that will have a positive and immediate impact on the club at every level, and in the years that follow."

Last Sunday Hasler was doing the victory lap of ANZ Stadium with the Sea Eagles after guiding the club to a second premiership in four years.

Dymock, who took over from Kevin Moore as interim coach for the final months of 2011, has also had his current contract extended and will remain on as Hasler's assistant from 2013 and beyond, unless he accepts a head coaching position at another club.

Canterbury are adamant they won't stand in Dymock's way to extend his career elsewhere, but believe working under Hasler will be the best thing for his longevity as a first grade coach.

Latest posts