What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Elliott have a parting shot at supporters ?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Let him have his shot, i dont give a f**k
he is pissing off and thats all i care for :D

one of the worst coaches in our history, the end of a pretty woeful chapter is weeks away... loving it!

Bay56 said:
Walt ... beginning of the season and Elliott is quoted as saying that Zillman is a remarkable player and will see more FG this year ... yea I suppose he was right, we got to see about 20 mins more.

Zillman did miss a fair few games due to injury...and the only way I could bring him into the squad, if I was coach of course, would be for J.Smith. Injury has hampered Zillman this year, but next year he gets his shot.

Bay56

First Grade
Schif_Happens said:
Zillman did miss a fair few games due to injury...and the only way I could bring him into the squad, if I was coach of course, would be for J.Smith. Injury has hampered Zillman this year, but next year he gets his shot.

Zillman was injured in about round 14/15 from memory ... he scored about 18 tries up to that stage and made many an oppostion defender look like a monkey

he comes back and scores 5 tries in a match ... ding ding ... hello this player warrants selection in FG ... but no so the next round he scores another 3 and sets up a zillian others ... will this change Elliott's mind, will Withers take the step down to PL ... I doubt it.

viking

Juniors
i think elliott has done the right thing with zillman,theres no point chucking him straight into FG just because he has a few good games in PL.the gap between FG and PL is massive and he would have been thrown in the deep end.just look at jamie soward at the roosters,they chucked him in and in my opinion it was a failed attempt to save their season and now he lacks confidence because of it.

Bay56 said:
Zillman was injured in about round 14/15 from memory ... he scored about 18 tries up to that stage and made many an oppostion defender look like a monkey

he comes back and scores 5 tries in a match ... ding ding ... hello this player warrants selection in FG ... but no so the next round he scores another 3 and sets up a zillian others ... will this change Elliott's mind, will Withers take the step down to PL ... I doubt it.

Why take withers down to PL when he's a hooker? where's the logic in that? Swap a Fullback/Halfback with a Hooker? Makes no sense. I think you need a new argument.

Paullyboy

Coach
Bay you're not in someway related to Zilly are you? Dont get me wrong, Im hoping he'll be the next big thing for us as well, but the way you go on about him you could be forgiven for thinking he was a hybrid of Ricky Stuart/Laurie Daley/Wally Lewis and Dally Messenger for freaks sake.

Bay56

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
Bay you're not in someway related to Zilly are you? Dont get me wrong, Im hoping he'll be the next big thing for us as well, but the way you go on about him you could be forgiven for thinking he was a hybrid of Ricky Stuart/Laurie Daley/Wally Lewis and Dally Messenger for freaks sake.

Not related to him.

You may have noticed that I am not the only one that has sung Zilly's praises ... most on here who regularly see him in PL have commented on his special talents ... Peter "Zorba" Peters (a Manly stalwart) comment on his abilities on 2KY BSB after watching him play PL ... others have as well ... you might want to point out to them as well of his hybrid qualities.

Is he a hybrid of the players you mention ? .. only time will tell ... but we'll never find out if he isnt given the chance.

I can recall the same being said by many here regarding our praise of Carney.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think holding Carney back worked out well for us, he's really coming along now. Zillman will get his shot, hell it might even prolong his career leaving him out. Just look at Bemji Marshall and SBW getting injured all the time, Inglis too has been subject to injury.

Bay56

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
I think holding Carney back worked out well for us, he's really coming along now. Zillman will get his shot, hell it might even prolong his career leaving him out. Just look at Bemji Marshall and SBW getting injured all the time, Inglis too has been subject to injury.

Walt they tackle in PL as well you know ... not having a go mate but some of the hits in PL are as good or badly mistimed than FG ...

Some guys are just injury prone, it is plain as that, and some will go through their whole careers with nothing more than a few stitches.

I dont think holding back Zillman at this stage for the sake of injury is a legitimate argument ... more the case you might piss off the youngster making him susceptible for a whisper in his ear from elsewhere.

The fact is there is no good reason for not having given Zillman a few more runs in FG this season... his performances in PL deserve it.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Bay56 said:
Walt they tackle in PL as well you know ... not having a go mate but some of the hits in PL are as good or badly mistimed than FG ...

The level of physicality in PL is nowhere near first grade. First grade is twice as fast and twice as hard.

lotm

Juniors
having a go mate but some of the hits in PL are as good or badly mistimed than FG
you're right. some of them are, but consistently, fg is miles ahead in intensity and physicality.

regardless, i agree with you. zillman definitely deseved to play in fg more often.

Chachi

Bench
Zilly is a freak - best Junior since Daley IMHO and Elliott is an idiot for leaving him out of the team.

But the best thing is...we finished top 4 in PL, so I guess we get a home final at Seiffert in 2 weeks time. That means more Zilly for everyone!!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Chachi said:
Zilly is a freak - best Junior since Daley IMHO and Elliott is an idiot for leaving him out of the team.

But the best thing is...we finished top 4 in PL, so I guess we get a home final at Seiffert in 2 weeks time. That means more Zilly for everyone!!

I don't think they do that for PL do they? They'll just put the game before one of the 1st grade semis I thought.

woodgers

Bench
Yeah, i'll certainly head along to that. We'll see him do his usual magic.

I still don't believe that it was good to hold Carney back for so long. The way I see it, he had to finally put him in 1st grade properly and Carney just used what we already knew he had then people starting giving Elliott credit for it saying he did well to hold him up so long. I reckon that if he had of put him up even 12 months earlier we would be seeing a much better Todd Carney right now. It simply just delayed what we knew.

Either way, I said it a few weeks ago and I stick by it. William Zillman is in the top 5 best players at the Raiders at the moment I believe. People may debate it and say that I am going overboard and hyping him up but generally these are people who don't see him play all the time. He is incredible, far better than the majority of the guys in first grade.

woodgers

Bench
greeneyed said:
I think he was looking at Woodgers actually... Woodgers reckoned later he was jumping up and down shouting "me"! :lol:

To be fair to Elliott, he said that he appreciated that criticism came from some fans as they are so passionate about the club. Also, Elliott didn't have to read the forums to know his critics... he just had to read the front page of the CT earlier this year. :)

Anyway, if Elliott wins us the premiership this year, it'll have been worth it... but either way, I'm happy to wish him well with Penrith.

I did call out "ME" :D .

I'm very happy to see the back of him but I try not to hold any grudges and thank him for the good things he has done here. I wish him all the best in the future though, just not in Canberra.

C ya Matty.

thickos

First Grade
On the Zillman issue, sometimes Elliott's 'softly softly' approach is definitely the way to go. In rd 2 vs the Knights our backline was

1. Zillman
2. Milne
3. Graham
4. Mogg
5. Purtell

from memory - and Johns tore them to shreds outwide, in the middle, everywhere. Jones and Raston played too - not enough experience on the field and we paid for it.

Zillman will have his time, he probably should have had 3-4 games more this season but Henry will have him ready in 07. No doubt.

dubby

Bench
Bay56 said:
We were belted without them mate ... remember game 2 and 3 of the season ... and how about a little game against Souths that we should have won ... I can tell you now that Zillman would have ripped them apart.

There are certain players that just ooze talent ... Zillman is one of those as is Inglis.

Convince me that Withers has set the world on fire this season ... we would not have done any worse by having him playing in PL and Zillman taking his place. We would have gained a youngster with experience and confidence for 2007.

Dude, Zillman played fullback against Newcastle in Round 2, remember?

Oh, and its great to have the usual thread about Zillman and Elliot...

woodgers

Bench
thickos said:
On the Zillman issue, sometimes Elliott's 'softly softly' approach is definitely the way to go. In rd 2 vs the Knights our backline was

1. Zillman
2. Milne
3. Graham
4. Mogg
5. Purtell

from memory - and Johns tore them to shreds outwide, in the middle, everywhere. Jones and Raston played too - not enough experience on the field and we paid for it.

Zillman will have his time, he probably should have had 3-4 games more this season but Henry will have him ready in 07. No doubt.

I don't know mate. I get your point against the Knights but I reckon we were ripe for a thrashing that day anyway. You don't get belted like that without your forwards getting punished. Having said that I get what you are saying but if you put Zillman on the bench even for say Chalk if you have to, then you are playing your hand at the very least. Right now we have no edge going into the finals and no unknown, everyone knows what we'll do. The difference on Saturday night was 1 Greg Inglis because he has a freakish talent to find gaps and either score or turn you around, Canberra could have that too in Zillman who is lightning. Now he would be playing with Schif and a bit more experience so it wouldn't really cost us in experience very much at all.

I understand that people are bored of the same arguement but it certainly is a valid one. We just don't have enough spark in that side to trouble the big guns and we need an unknown to put doubt into opposition minds. Take Saturday for example, we scored 3 tries. First one was Tonguey with some lovely ruck play and a superb inside ball, the next was a burrow over from Withers and the last was a lucky deflection back to us off a kick and winning the race to the ball. It really doesn't sound to me like a side slicing through the defence and finishing tries. That is why he is a must, he is easily the most elusive player at the club, better than Schif and Graham if you ask me. He gives that X factor that you need to win tight finals matches and the best thing is no one will focus on him whatsoever so he should get a bit of room.

thickos

First Grade
Not sure about no-one focusing on him mate. The world already knows how good he could potentially be.. so he would be marked heavily. He also did not do a hell of a lot in his 3 games (I know, not much time to show anything really) - besides the two nice tries in Rd 2.

While we didn't look that threatening on Sat night Melb got lucky with a runaway try and an intercept too... yes they looked more dangerous but we did a solid job of shutting them down.

Melbourne aside the rest of the top 8 aren't exactly well-drilled attacking machines... IMO we could take all of them, just a shame we will most likely cop Melb in week 1.