What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dirty Dogs want rule changed to suit themselves.

melon....

Coach
A classic example of self preservation.

I wonder how many kiddies will jump up and down at this news. I'll be suprised if any as its nothing to do with the Roosters, and we are on a pro Dirty Dogs website:

$74 a kick

By DEAN RITCHIE

September 1, 2004

HAZEM El Masri has been fined a whopping $10,000 this season by the NRL for slow goalkicking – prompting the Bulldogs to call for an overhaul of the controversial 90-second rule.

The Bulldogs' sharpshooter has been nabbed five times – at $2000 each – for exceeding the goalkicking time limit.

That breaks down to a cost of $74 for every one of his 134 shots at goal this season.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley has travelled to Belmore Sports Ground to discuss the situation with El Masri and Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad.

The $10,000 has already been taken out of the Bulldogs' $2.5 million NRL grant.

Nineteen fines have been issued to slow NRL goalkickers, but El Masri is the player easily with the most breach notices.

El Masri has kicked 115 goals from 134 attempts – and now wants the rule changed.

He wants additional time for goalkickers who take conversions from between the sideline and 10 metres in from touch.

Noad wants the 90-second deadline moved back to 100 seconds.

"We have taken it up formally with the NRL," Noad said.

"We have also discussed this with Hazem. When a try is awarded on the other side from Hazem's wing and there's no video referee needed, it can take him 10 to 15 seconds just to get to the ball – and that's before he has started to line up the kick.

"It is better for Hazem when there is a video replay. It gives him time to get to the ball.

"We've sent a letter to Graham Annesley and the NRL has been quite constructive in our talks.

"I think the rule should be changed to 100 seconds. But we are also encouraging Hazem to take his kicks at goal a little bit quicker," Noad added.

Annesley confirmed he had spoken to El Masri about more time for kickers taking shots from wide out.

"I did go out and meet with Hazem," Annesley said. "He felt there should be more time for kicks wider out than those closer to the goalposts.

"We won't be changing the rules mid-season but it is something we will review. Extending the kicking deadline to 100 seconds is an option."

El Masri and his Bulldogs play the Warriors this Sunday in Auckland with the minor premiership still up for grabs depending on how the Sydney Roosters go against Parramatta.

PB

Bench
Who do they think they are???? The Roosters!!!!

The dogs should remember they are lucky to be in our competition at all, let alone have the ordasity to have the rules changed to suit them....

I've always believed that the 90 second rule is a joke. The referee should stop the clock until after the kicker has taken the shot at goal.

wittyfan

Referee
Extending it to 100 seconds is an option? :shock: Eventually it will become two minutes, three minutes...

The NRL must keep it at 90 seconds. Games these days are extended long enough with delays for video refs etc.

taxidriver

Coach
last week he had 10 shots at goal, at 90 seconds each that is 15 minutes of the game, just under 20% of the entire game time waiting for him to kick !

Leave it at 90 seconds for shots within 10 metres of the sideline, 60 seconds for eveything else and exponentially INCREASE the fine for going over time.

warning letter - first offence
2 grand - 2nd offence
5 grand - thrid offence
10 grand any thereafter

dice

Juniors
I am with taxidriver on this one. They waste too much fn game time.... harsher penalties or less time. I have seen it a few times where a team is out on their legs and decide to take a kick for goal so they can have a breather. fn time wasters.

JK

So let me get this right...

Hazem, the undisputed best kicker in the league, goes through proper channels (to operations manager annesley through club management) and requests changes based upon degree of diffulty of kick, etc etc...

Jeez stop the press! What a horrible thing for hazem and the bulldogs to do! Actually give feedback on a new rule! :shock:

Kick them out now! :lol:

You are such tossers!

Tigerpete

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
I've always believed that the 90 second rule is a joke. The referee should stop the clock until after the kicker has taken the shot at goal.

Im with you buddy! who cares if it means we get out of the ground at 4:20pm instead of 4:12pm or whenever it is we get out, i certainly dont!

richie8u

Juniors
a rule is a rule, what about when Rooney scores in the corner and Amos has to kick it??
maybe even in big games, kickers should be given 10 in the bin, time wasting is a pro foul!!!!!

DJ1

Juniors
PB said:
Who do they think they are???? The Roosters!!!!

No! If they were the Roosters, the club would not have gone through the appropriate channels.

1)They would have threatened to take the NRL to court if it didn't change the rule.

2)They would have their propagandists on Channel 9 slagging off the ruling

3)They would refuse to sign the NRL and RLPAs Collective Bargaining Agreement unless their was a 100 second clause with an automatic increase each year of 10 seconds.

rossy

Juniors
Good to see you attack the Roosters while condoning Hazem and the Bulldogs cheating ways. At least you're consistent. :)

JK

rossy said:
Good to see you attack the Roosters while condoning Hazem and the Bulldogs cheating ways. At least you're consistent. :)

Cheating? But he has not cheated. They have copped the fines.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and just wish you had a kicker as accurate.

Macca

Coach
Just stop the clock for kicks. That's the only way to make it a level playing field.

JK

rossy said:
Do you get fined for obeying the rules?

Are you that dumb?

Well not as thick as you but maybe after I hit my head with a hammer for a few hours.

mightybears

Bench
on the weekend,in a womens rugby grand final in queensland, the try by the norths team to make the score 18-19 with a kick to come in front [after the siren] took to long to be taken because of the try scoring celebrations.

the ref told the kicker to hurry up 3 times, so he ruled no conversion
they lost the gf! by a 1 point

no fine, just no premiership!

Latest posts