What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion with Pete Nolan

spartan2153

Juniors
I often wondered why every merkin was so quick to believe the five year plan bullshit.

The coaching staff are on a three year contract.

Maybe it was because the club wanted to extend his contract by 2 years to basically make it a 5 year contract & the link was there

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like MJC said in a previous post, the club has flattened the executive structure and IMO it's at the expense of the fans and much needed experience in running the football side of things.

You reckon he's treating fans as mere customers?

Here's a question; from a sporting organisation's point of view, is there really any difference?

I mean, of course fans see themselves as more than just customers but is there any good reason for clubs to see them as something different?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
They say it takes 18 months to change culture at a club. SO i guess the second half of the season will tell us all.

The excuses we are now hearing for this year are a joke. The titans got the wooden spoon last year & bought players in key areas over the offseason & look at them now. We are told that previous management killed us. Well news flash 39 were in charge at the time. All this da blaming is a joke to be honest. He had 1 off season to spend some money. He bought a state of origin prop at the time & a city representative. HE released some over payed stars who were not performing at the time & filled them with experience & what it looked like was waiting for some real players to hit the market. He tried to get every half back available because he knew thats what we needed.

2 years on & kony spent big this off season. Upgraded in all our positions that required upgrading. Uor 7, 6 & centre. yet we have won only 1 game this year. Yet the coaching staff is still using the previous management as there fault.

All kony supporters admitted they expected top 8 this year but have changed there kpi's to suit there agenda. Coaches are paid to coach & win f**kn games. We have been terrible for most of the year. If the team was playing there best everygame & still losing we could cop that but the reality is apart from a few games we have not been in any games. Those games like tigers & canberra are not close games. Those teams swithched off.

We are the worst parra team in 60 years & this is after kony has had 2 off seasons in charge & spent big last off season. The excuses have to stop
And noticed how the titans did not sack their coach after they got the spoon

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Here is the Parramatta Pyramid

pyr30.jpg

Ah yes, that would be the physical level. I believe the technical level goes on top of that.

spartan2153

Juniors

YOur right but he has proven he could build a team from scratch. That is the difference between the 2. They were also destroyed by injury last year.

He also quit his job as a rep coach to concentrate on the titans.

strider

Post Whore
just out of interest ... is the forum doing a filter on some word, changing it to kony? cos it gets said too many times for ppl to actually be using it surely :lol:

strider

Post Whore
One thing that was qualified is that the "5 year plan" label is NOT from Kearney or Nolan, but a media label. They expect results before that.

I often wondered why every merkin was so quick to believe the five year plan bullshit.

Sorry, but the media did NOT make that up .... they did not pluck the number from f**king nowhere - even their 1+1=3 investigative journalism does't come up with the number 5 and a story to go along with it

the 5 year plan was put out by our management and the media picked up on it .... maybe the actual coaching staff didn't propagate it, but it was put out by the club

part of the coaching change was said to be lack of a plan and the new 5 yr plan was put out as a way of explaining that

Noise

Coach

Cartright has been able to get his new recruits to play well and his team has shown improvement. Kearney has been able to get his new recruits playing for wenty and the team has gone backwards

Avenger

Immortal
What about the Pyramid and stuff Avenger?
It's great to have a plan but when you commence one you would like to see progress. I have seen none. So far I have seen videos of the academy and a lot of window dressing with buzz words like, structure, 5 year plan, et al.

I get angry when SK continually mentions the mistakes of the past 10 years when the past 2 years under his reign have produced the worst performances in over 50 years.

The board and Kearney continually talk about Key Performance Indicators or KPI's. Surely the main one is to start winning games. He has won 7 out of 35. That is unacceptable and an outright failure on the pyramid, structure, 5 year plan or whatever you want to call it this week.

The foundations may be starting to look good but the tradesman who finishes the product must know what he is doing. To this date Kearney has demonstrated nothing but uninspiring cliches and unfortunately some are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
One thing that was qualified is that the "5 year plan" label is NOT from Kearney or Nolan, but a media label. They expect results before that.

Sorry, but the media did NOT make that up .... they did not pluck the number from f**king nowhere - even their 1+1=3 investigative journalism does't come up with the number 5 and a story to go along with it

the 5 year plan was put out by our management and the media picked up on it .... maybe the actual coaching staff didn't propagate it, but it was put out by the club

part of the coaching change was said to be lack of a plan and the new 5 yr plan was put out as a way of explaining that

From someone who was at the time a member of the board ... this is just one example where the whole "5 year plan" thing propagated from, and I'm sure a little digging would find more - our management.

''As a businessman, I was shocked there were no structures, policies, procedures or disciplines in place,'' Duncan said. ''I thought of Parramatta as the envy of other clubs as far as structure but it had all fallen away. There was not even a one-year plan let alone a three- or five-year plan.''

barney gumble

Juniors
It's great to have a plan but when you commence one you would like to see progress. I have seen none. So far I have seen videos of the academy and a lot of window dressing with buzz words like, structure, 5 year plan, et al.

I get angry when SK continually mentions the mistakes of the past 10 years when the past 2 years under his reign have produced the worst performances in over 50 years.

The board and Kearney continually talk about Key Performance Indicators or KPI's. Surely the main one is to start winning games. He has won 7 out of 35. That is unacceptable and an outright failure on the pyramid, structure, 5 year plan or whatever you want to call it this week.

The foundations may be starting to look good but the tradesman who finishes the product must know what he is doing. To this date Kearney has demonstrated nothing but uninspiring cliches and unfortunately some are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

Nicely put, couldn't agree more.

barney gumble

Juniors
I had a very interesting day today and thought I would share it with you, seeing as everyone who posts on here has in interest in what is happening at our beloved Parramatta Eels.

Sorry about the length of the post, but I am sure you will find it as worthwhile as I did. Firstly, I should give you a small bit of background about me, so you know where I was coming from and why I did what I did.

I am 44 years of age, have been at every Parra GF since 1981 and am a Season Ticket Holder, Leagues Club and Football Club Member and definitely a “fan”. In my worklife, run my own company and have managed annual budgets in excess of $80M for one of the most recognisable brands in Australia so I am used to dealing with CEO’s and Boards and when I want to know something about a company I am interested in, I have no hesitation in picking up the phone or sending an email to the CEO or Director or whomever and asking what I want to know.

At 12.15pm today I sent an email to Bob Bentley, CEO of Parramatta Leagues Club to ask him a few things about the club and make the odd suggestion to him. The email is reproduced below (not all of it):

At 5.25 this evening I received a telephone call from Peter Nolan, who has been asked by Bob Bentley to give me a call. This call lasted for 45 mins and whilst a lot of what we discussed was and will remain confidential, Nolan did agree to me posting some things on here for all to read.

Firstly, we talked about the “mess” that Kearney and Nolan found the club in when they arrived and it wasn’t about a ‘losing culture’ but rather one of confusion for the players and staff. A high turn-over of coaches over the years had led to no-one being sure of what the focus should be on things like fitness, body shape, etc and players were “unsettled” in their preparation for each season and each game.

We talked about the salary cap and how there was a level of in-balance in it that definitely limited the ability to sign the type and level of players needed. Recruitment had been haphazard and an example given was that there was no-one in the club in the under 20’s that was suitable for a particular position – no one. So they had to recruit someone to play in the 20’s and build for the future.

Nolan explained a great deal about the “system” and how the belief is that “the system makes the player, the players don’t make the system “ and our system was “loose” and a “mess”. He described a 3 tier pyramid model with the base layer being physical, the middle layer technical and the top layer about tactical and how the layers and players need to built on from the bottom up.

We talked at length about recruitment and retention and Pete did say that I could post that we should all expect some announcements in the next 2 weeks about player retention and maybe recruitment. One thing that has been a focus of the management team is not to talk to the media about signings, etc and that we shouldn’t read what is written in the papers cause they simply do not talk to the media. In fact I got the impression that we potentially would lose signings if the player or his manager thought it would leak to the media before they wanted it announced.

So there you have it – my interesting day.

I am not going to go into any more details about what was said but let me be clear – I have no affiliation with the club or its board than what I stated at the top of this post. I am not a mouthpiece for the club and I am not trying to feed any club propaganda. I took action as an interested fan and I got what I believe was an open and honest dialogue with one of the key members of the staff at the Eels.

GO PARRA!!

Well done mate, excellent posting and thanks for sharing.

Eels Dude

Coach
Firstly, thanks for passing on that info emjaycee.

I agree with a few others though and this asks more questions than it answers. It's nice that Nolan chose took the effort to speak to you, but the club shouldn't have to be prompted by questions from fans in order to know they should communicate more.

Nolan always comes across as credible and knows his stuff. Sadly I can't say that about the rest of the coaching staff though.

A number of my other thoughts have already been raised by others so no point repeating.

Last edited: