What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion with Pete Nolan

bartman

Immortal
Funny thing is Bart, if you didn't know I was Suity, you wouldn't be replying in the same manner. So get off your moral high horse of Olympian proportians.

Suity
Huh? How can someone replying to a generalisation made about them ever be equated to the manner of the person whose comments sets the tone for that discussion in the first place?

:crazy: Thanks for sharing Suity, keep on keeping on and sniping on people from the sidelines...

Suitman

Post Whore
I know Suity and I probably shouldn't have bitten but I wasn't going to originally post any details of my chat with Nolan simply because I knew some posters would doubt it. at least five minutes of the convo were spent with me telling Nolan I wasn't happy being a perceived mouthpiece of the club.

(only got 29 more minutes of the call to explain now)

Mate, you only have to answer to yourself.
Those that question you, have to answer to themselves.

In hindsight, I'd probably be defensive as well. I don't blame you, when what you thought you were doing was a favour to your fellow Eels supporters.
Which, clearly, you were. I also know that what you did was a favour to those who placed their trust in you. Which, you have also done.
Hold your head high champ, and don't feel the need to answer to anyone.

Suity

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Pull your heads in guys. Either make a call, send an email or just shut the f%@k up about the fact that I did, I got a call and got some answers and I bothered to post them on here so that others got some of the same info.

My five year old is more mature then some of the posters in here.

I do appreciate it. I enjoy reading everything I can about the Eels. The more info like this the better.

Gronk

Staff member
Pull your heads in guys. Either make a call, send an email or just shut the f%@k up about the fact that I did, I got a call and got some answers and I bothered to post them on here so that others got some of the same info.
Thanks for posting.

Yes there seems to be 4 or 5 posters (minority) who take offence to those with differing opinions (majority). Nothing new I guess.

#theyfightlikecorneredrats

#buildabridgemerkins

Last edited:

SDM

First Grade
1. New board takes over and club becomes awesome and makes grand final.
2. Coach signs fat slug Justin Poore, club now sucks again.
3. Board sack coach for worst signing in Rugby League history.
4. Fat Slug's contract expires and Kearney leads Eels to the promised land.

born an eel

Bench
at least five minutes of the convo were spent with me telling Nolan I wasn't happy being a perceived mouthpiece of the club.
If he was talking to you in private why would this have been a worry to either of you?
and why spend 5 mins discussing what he/you? wanted to be relayed to the forum. With the way the media has been used in the past people will be sceptical that you also are being used.

lingard

Coach
This is where your argument breaks down. Kearney hasn't shown anything yet other than he still has the confidence of his employers and coaching staff.

Yes. Well. Anyway, I`m very happy that his employers have decided that he needs an assistant coach or a coaching director; and that now they have decided to conduct an investigation into the football operations. AND I`m stoked that Kearney`s employers (who obviously have great confidence in him :roll:) are finally preparing to give him the arse. I`m stoked because I support this Rugby League team (not the CEO, not the board, not the back or front office staff, not the politics, not the structures or policies or heirarchies). I support this rugby league side. When the players run out onto the field wearing that blue and gold jumper, it sends a shiver up my spine. I have supported this side since 1964, and I continue to support this side on behalf of my two brothers and father who were ardent Parra fans and are now deceased. I support this side on behalf of a million child-hood memories, too. I have no animosity toward Stephen Kearney and his plans - I just believe it`s quite obvious that he can`t coach an NRL side. He can`t inspire his players, he can`t get results on the field. And I`m excited about where this side might develop under the next coach. No coach has ever been judged solely on his plans and his 'structures' at the expense of on-field results. And Stephen Kearney won`t be either.
The King is dead. Long live the next King.

emjaycee

Coach
If he was talking to you in private why would this have been a worry to either of you?
and why spend 5 mins discussing what he/you? wanted to be relayed to the forum. With the way the media has been used in the past people will be sceptical that you also are being used.

He wasn't talking me in private. he called,I answered, he thanked me for my email.
He then explained some background, some direction on structure and the system they are trying to implement and some of the challenges they faced both when they arrived and now.

I continually asked some questions and it was a two way discussion. When the conversation moved to any area of specifics around the roster etc, he asked for my confidence which I gave.

Towards the end of the call he said I could feel free to post things that were not confidential if I wanted to and at this juncture I stated that my purpose in emailing Bentley was not on behalf if an internet forum or to even seek this stuff for myself. I told him I didn't see myself as spokesperson for the club etc and we discussed this before ending the call.

So maybe not five mins but definitely not being used by the club.the decision to post any of this was made by me three hours later after discussion with some people I respect.

Last edited:

born an eel

Bench
thanks for the explaination,
nothing against you but it still seems strange to have a "confidential" discusion with a fan and expect that everyone has the morals you do.

Someone

Bench

fair enough, we get you made the effort and the majority of people appriecate it (as a chance to sing the same tune of lol@kearney), but the information we recieved isnt anything new or groundbreaking and your the only one who actually benefitted from the call, considering most of what was said cant be relayed.

I just didnt buy into your hype, sorry.

bartman

Immortal
Thanks again for sharing what you did MJC. Don't take any fans' reactions here personally, as I keep saying - it's just an internet forum.

One thing that would interest me though is whether you felt more confident in the on-field future or not following the call?

From reading your initial post with the parts Nolan allowed you to share about his take on the "system" etc didn't fill me with any confidence at all - quite the opposite I'm afraid. Am interested in your own take on that (without breaking any confidneces of course), if you were happy to share.

DeanPay98

Juniors
No offence, but the whole phone call saga does seem a bit odd. Still, it might show that the Club is sensitive to the fact that a lot of members and fans are seriously disenchanted at the moment. In that sense, its a positive sign that the Club takes the members and fans seriously. But for all the talk the only results that matter are the ones on-field.

Stagger eel

Staff member
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the information that Nolan shared with Matt, was no different to what was mentioned to a small but hearty few at fans forum and again at the LC AGM with the exception of some private and confidential detail about possible signings or whatever ( I haven't spoken to Matt privately about this so I have no idea what it was and nor should he tell me) so whilst the info isn't exactly ground breaking it was signafacent enough to share it with us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes. Well. Anyway, I`m very happy that his employers have decided that he needs an assistant coach or a coaching director; and that now they have decided to conduct an investigation into the football operations. AND I`m stoked that Kearney`s employers (who obviously have great confidence in him :roll:) are finally preparing to give him the arse. I`m stoked because I support this Rugby League team (not the CEO, not the board, not the back or front office staff, not the politics, not the structures or policies or heirarchies). I support this rugby league side. When the players run out onto the field wearing that blue and gold jumper, it sends a shiver up my spine. I have supported this side since 1964, and I continue to support this side on behalf of my two brothers and father who were ardent Parra fans and are now deceased. I support this side on behalf of a million child-hood memories, too. I have no animosity toward Stephen Kearney and his plans - I just believe it`s quite obvious that he can`t coach an NRL side. He can`t inspire his players, he can`t get results on the field. And I`m excited about where this side might develop under the next coach. No coach has ever been judged solely on his plans and his 'structures' at the expense of on-field results. And Stephen Kearney won`t be either.
The King is dead. Long live the next King.

Why do you feel Kearney is a bad coach?

Latest posts